Ford Transit Connect Forum

Trailer hitch- bolt on vs. welded on

2016 TC LWB. I want a hitch with  a 2" receiver for a bike rack. I'll never tow anything but I want a worry-free ownership experience.

The difference in price is $100 for a bolt on hitch from U-Haul ($200) vs. a welded-on hitch from Eckhart ($300) respectively. The prices exclude wiring but like I said I'll never tow anything.

Which will be the most secure?

Pros, cons?

etrailer.com has a bolt-on for about half of what your U-Haul is charging.  I'm guessing that they're factoring in installation labor.  But you really can install your own.  It's only a few bolts, and it will do everything that you need or want.   Over the years, I've always installed my own bolt-on, and have never had a problem.

Hidden Hitch Class III Round Tube Receiver Hitch - 2016 Ford Transit Connect

Hidden Hitch 2016 Ford Transit Connect Trailer Hitch 
Actual Photo

Installation Difficulty:

3 out of 10

No drilling required
Manufacturer Estimated Installation Time
Hidden Hitch 

3 reviews

Code: 87651

Retail:$231.75

Price: $108.01

Trailer Hitch Size:

2 Inch Hitch Opening

Towing Capacity:

400 Pound Tongue Weight

3500 Pound Towing

Weight Distribution Towing Capacity:

400 lbs WD TW Pound Tongue Weight

4000 lbs WD GTW Pound Towing

Trailer Wiring:

2016 Ford Transit Connect Trailer Wiring

or use Alternate Wiring

Features:

This durable, fully welded vehicle trailer hitch receiver features a powder coat finish over an e-coat base to ensure superior corrosion resistance.

Installation Notes:

No drilling required for installation

5 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that U-Haul is not the best place to have work done on your car?

I have had U-Haul hitches on two of my previous vehicles, one of which was installed by them, and was quite happy with their product and labour.

For my TC, I called them up for a quote, but couldn't easily find a picture of their hitch, so, since I don't like buying a cat in a bag, I bought a Curt hitch. Super easy to install.

9 hours ago, Dandytc said:

I have had U-Haul hitches on two of my previous vehicles, one of which was installed by them, and was quite happy with their product and labour.

For my TC, I called them up for a quote, but couldn't easily find a picture of their hitch, so, since I don't like buying a cat in a bag, I bought a Curt hitch. Super easy to install.

A buddy of mine got a U-Haul hitch and wiring.  The hitch was fine.  The wiring was all messed up.  The way they crossed the wires was funny up to the point that it cost $XXX to fix what they did wrong.  That's not to say that every U-Haul is a bad choice, but the guy doing the work that day was not very good.  If I couldn't do it myself, I would cast the net a little farther.  U-Haul would not be my first choice.  There are usually shops that sell camper shells, tool boxes, ladder racks, and hitches.  Those guys would probably be my second call for a quote, after getting dealership quotes.

I bought the Curt hitch also  -  Think I paid $125 with free shipping.  A very easy install.  I'v installed bolt on hitches on my last several cars and the Curt hitch for the TC was the easiest to install by far

I agree you should buy the aftermarket module for the trailer wiring.  You unplug the main connector at each tail light and the module plugs in there.   You do need a +12 volt wire (which actually powers the trailer lights) and a ground wire.  That's it!  Also a fairly DIY install.  Routing the wires which requires removing some interior plastic is the hardest part

Don

You can't go wrong with Hidden Hitch or a Curt Hitch. Wiring adapters are inexpensive enough. I used to use Hop-I-lite brand.

On my last few vehicles, I got the towing package on them for a few reasons. Often better gearing for the hills I deal with every day and sometimes extra cooling, heavy duty flashers, etc.

Before though, I always installed my own, usually bought pre-internet from J.C. Whitney ;)

Edited by Boomerweps