Ford Transit Connect Forum

Finally replaced my radiator

BSUPC

I finally replaced my radiator over the weekend that has been leaking for the last 5 months or so. Wasn't to bad of a job. I was going to snap pictures during the process but when I had finished I realized I only managed to get these two pictures taken.  :(

Replaced at 210k miles. 

20170128_224300.jpg

Edited by BSUPC

It truly is. We have wanted one for years. The best feeling in the world was working on the first vehicle the other day when we got her up and running. Watching the car go up in the air the first time was awesome.  Dad cant get down on the ground much anymore, and I really dont like jacking up an car to work on the ground. So when we were handed the chance to have one added to the new shop we jumped on it.  Now I am indoors out of the weather, and do not have to lay on the ground to work. No more excuses not to fix stuff now. LOL

• 1 year later...

I am not going to lie I do not remember much about this. It was cold and I was in a hurry to get it done before I had to go back to work. In my rush I forgot to take pictures other than the ones that are on here. :(     But the one thing I do remember is breaking the plastic hanging clip on the new radiator on the drivers side top. Got in a hurry and started trying to force it instead of asking for help, and snap it broke. If you have someone who can stand topside and help guide it into place life will be much easier on you. The clips on the top are designed to go into a hole and then slide to the right towards the passenger side and are kinda a pain to line up from the bottom when you cant see them. 

It really is not a hard task to complete, unless you are like me and try to rush through it. I also recommend watching some youtube videos on the procedure. I used this video as a reference but keep in mind that the bolt sizes and some of the parts are different between the two vehicles. But they are very close to the same. 

Edited by BSUPC
I cant spell

• 1 year later...

In the midst of a remanufactured trans purchase, I realized my radiator has a leak. In an effort to start saving $$$ as I just sunk a lot into the trans, I'm gonna try to replace the radiator myself. Got one for under $100 online and this will be my first real foray into working under a car's hood.

@BSUPC any tips/surprises to share? I'm gonna go off that Focus video mostly but worried I might have to take off more hardware/ in order to access everything. Any help is appreciated.

thanks.

The car is already on the lift. That's advantage you don't have at home. A shop has other advantages. I have replaced radiators. I have seen shops do it. On some cars, it's easier to hook up a recovery machine, drain the A.C. chemical, then disconnect and remove the radiator and condenser as a single unit.  Once out of the car, it's simple to transfer the condenser onto the new radiator, and drop it all back in.  It sounds like more work, but actually cuts down on time and effort. Advantage is a fully charged A.C.  system.  On small cars with limited space, you don't always have the access to reach and manipulate the clips holding the condenser to the radiator. 

Ended up doing it myself. Mechanic estimated $250 for labor so I did fuck it and learned something in the process. Took most of the day (rather than a few hrs) and covered in coolant (that drain plug doesn't unscrew all the way so it splashed coolant everywhere), but I'd say it was worth it. 

In midst of trying to bleed new coolant of air, I noticed my fans weren't coming on. After driving for a few hrs today, I still don't think they're turning on. Temp has risen to normal levels throughout and coolant level of stable, but got me thinking maybe fans not working. Was originally thinking fans but turning on just meant they weren't needed yet, but part of me thinks fans not running could have contributed to cracked radiator in first place.

I've never seen my temp to worrying levels, but still...after all the effort of replacing radiator, think I'll still need tech to check wires and insure electrical is working correctly to fans. 

1st check the fan fuse and relay. Then check the connection. Is the harness burnt out of corroded?  The fans usually don't fail. Connect it to 12v power, and it should turn right on. Alternative option, not a good option, is bypass the car's computer by installing an aftermarket fan control.

TC acting differently than it did before the radiator was changed? Is it different with the New Transmission?  Check the temp with a scan tool you may not have any issue.

If the TC is air-conditioned turn on the AC and that will put the fans on full time . If they do come on then you most likely do not have an issue.