Ford Transit Connect Forum

Choosing a Transit Connect

I'm searching for a TC to drive / add a bed platform for frequent rock climbing trips in California. 

Parking here is a nightmare so I'm optimizing for the shortest length that I can reasonably sleep in (5'10"). I'd prefer a wagon so that I can remove the bed & put the seats back in for group trips. 

Options:
A.) I absolutely love the 2014/15 SWB TC's with the 1.6L turbo. The SWBs look great and the 1.6 offers slightly more power/economy. This is my top pick but the specs show the distance from the front seat @ the belt to the rear doors is only 60.9 inches (5 feet). I assume this is with the 2nd row seats removed?  Do the front seats lean forward?

Does anyone know of any SWB conversion posts? I can't find them... especially if the owner is 5'10" or more. 

B.) 2012/13. Great overall length & extra height but slightly less peppy & less efficiency. Few wagons for sale.  Less frills overall and they seem to cost about the same as low-mileage 14's. Bad safety ratings.

C.) 14/15 LWB. Argh, I'm just less excited about these overall. They seem too long for my needs.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitconnect/specifications/interior/

Edited by Paul Silvis
shorten / fix typos

4 hours ago, Paul Silvis said:

Parking here is a nightmare so I'm optimizing for the shortest length that I can reasonably sleep in (5'10"). I'd prefer a wagon so that I can remove the bed & put the seats back in for group trips. 

I live in The City.  Parking is bad.  But parking is bad no matter what kind of car you have.  Really.  I haven't found a space that i couldn't squeeze my Long Wheel Base into; in-as-much-as it is a legitimate parking space with a meter and markings on the road designating the parameters of the parking space paid for by that parking meter.  Every space downtown has a parking meter, and markings which specify the effective area paid for by that meter.  Even my truck is able to fit within legal designated parking spaces.

Forget about whether you can lie down.  You can also forget about simply going to the dealerships and laying down to imagine what it would be like.  If you're thinking about building a bedding platform, think about the mattress that you are planning to use.  Bring a tape measure, and a notepad.  Know the measurements of the mattresses that you want to use.  

I would help you out some more.  But I'm not taking my mattress outside, dragging it down 3 blocks to my van, to shove it in the back so that I can take pictures.  Sorry.  

Or simply look on youtube at all the camper builds that people have posted videos of.  

Twin Mattress

A twin mattress is the smallest possible mattress size, other than a crib-sized mattress. Twin mattress dimensions are approximately 38 inches wide by 75 inches long. Both twin and full sizes are approximately 75 inches long, which may be too short for some adults, especially men.

Full Mattress

Sometimes still called  a double mattress, a full size mattress is 53 inches wide, which is just 15 inches wider than a twin size (single). That leaves each partner only 27 inches of personal space, or about the width of a crib. Both twin and full sizes are approximately 75 inches long, which may be too short for some adults, especially men.

1. About 16,000 results

1. Ford Transit Connect Camper Conversion.

• 1 year ago
      The conversion of my Ford transit connect, took about 6 weeks to complete.
    2. Van camper from Ford Transit Connect 2015

• 4 months ago
      Basic 1 to 2 person camper.
    3. 2010 Ford Transit Connect Camper

• 8 months ago
      In today's video I discuss the features and additions on my 2010 Ford Transit Connect Cargo van. This is the XLT model which ...
    4. Transit Camper Van

• 1 year ago
      2010 Ford Transit Connect Camper Van RV conversion.
    5. Woodworker mods Ford Transit into camper van

• 3 years ago
      This post is sponsored by the Ford Transit Connect: When talented woodworker Eric Cournoyer isn't immersed in sawdust, you'd ...
    6. Stealth Camper with roof patio in a Ford Transit Connect

• 1 month ago
      A tour of how to get 35 feet of living space in a tiny tiny van.
    7. Packing Up a 2015 Transit Connect DIY Camper Van

• 1 year ago
      We recently bought a 2015 Ford Transit Connect cargo van, and converted it ourselves into a camper. This is a time lapse video of ...
    8. Transit connect camper not vw t5 or t4

• 4 months ago
      Campervan for sale. Van in the week and then a camper This is ready to go complete in the sale is a microwave, tv, cool box ...
    9. Ford Transit Connect Camper Conversion PART 2.

• 8 months ago
      So this is a little vid just to show briefly what I've done.
    10. Touring My $350 Transit Connect Conversion | Stanley Vanley | VanLife

• 1 month ago
      Quick tour of my conversion camper van that I built on the cheap, but comfortable! The bed is a 4" thick memory foam mattress and ...
    11. KURT KAMPER ford transit connect camper van rv minivan

• 1 year ago
      ford transit connect camper van rv minivan to include, ceramic insulation, maxxfan deluxe. altenator charging cirucit with VSR.
    12. Ruby's Conversion

• 11 months ago
      turning our 2010 Ford Transit Connect into our very first micro-camper.
    13. Newberg Ford, Transit Connect Camper Conversion. Ford Transit Connect RV

• 5 years ago
      Newberg Ford, Ford Transit Connect Camper Conversion van.
    14. ford transit connect camper windows floor insulation and ceiling vent

• 2 years ago
      a starter kit for rosanne, epoxy floor, insulation (basic), maxxfan deluxe, rear windows, solart maintainer, aux battery system with ...
    15. Van camper from Ford Transit Connect 2015 part 2

• 4 months ago
      Sleeping mode.
    16. transit connect camper silverstreak

• 1 year ago
      Ford Transit Connect gen 1. To include: power, sleeping, rack, awning, screen door,shore power,roof vent, and more... information ...
    17. Ford Transit Connect Stealth Camper Van electrical system update

• 2 months ago
      Added a DC to AC power inverter to the van.
    18. Ford Transit Connect Stealth Camper conversion

• 1 year ago
      Ford Transit Connect Stealth Camper conversion features, cargo platform, rear door fold-up sink, blackout curtains, wall mounted ...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

8 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

I haven't found a space that i couldn't squeeze my Long Wheel Base into; in-as-much-as it is a legitimate parking space with a meter and markings on the road designating the parameters of the parking space paid for by that parking meter.  Every space downtown has a parking meter, and markings which specify the effective area paid for by that meter.  Even my truck is able to fit within legal designated parking spaces.

Untitled 10.jpg

Paul,

I have a 2016 Titanium LWB.  So far I love it.  I'm modifying it so I can also sleep in it and carry gear and a search K9.  I am 5' 10" and really wouldn't anything shorter to sleep in than the LWB model.  But I've decided too lose three of the seats in the back however for my purposes.  I wanted to use the space and so I pretty much built a false floor so I could store equipment under it and sleep on top of it.

The 6 seater LWB would work I think for you.  The seats do fold flat to the floor for an occasional overnight climbing trip.  I would however recommend an additional mat on top of the folded seats.  I ordered a mat like the one below to install in my mod.  It would also work great for you as a secondary layer once you fold the seats down. 

You could trim it to size and just roll it up with a bungee and store it when you have the seats up.  It's pretty cheap as far as matting goes, (they include free shipping), and reasonably thick as well which gives some extra support over the area between the seats where the thin fake floor is when the seats are folded down.  You'd have to trim off about a foot from one side of it and then some off the length of it.  But I like how it's already cut in way to be rolled up for storage.

Tiller.

http://www.greatmats.com/martial-arts-mats/roll-out-mats-5x10.php

PS>  You are only talking a 15" difference between the SWB and LB model.  You'll be glad you have that extra 15"!

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 11.51.17 AM.png

Edited by Tiller

Thanks for your input Tiller, you're completely right. I'm pulling the SWB out of my search and deciding between the LWB and the 2013 model.

Very cool idea with the matting. I was planning on a 4" memory foam mattress but this looks like a solid option too. Probably easier to clean & roll up for storage

When I get home I'll take a close up pic of the mat material. 

Depending on how much space you need to sleep, (I'm assuming sleeping bag width), you could cut off just a bit extra from the with of it, say 2ft off of the 5ft width.  Use the 3' wide mat which would leave about 5" on each side uncovered.  Then use the 2 ft piece directly under your sleeping bag which would give you a double mat thickness under your sleeping bag.   You'll get 2 1/2 " thickness.  Not quite the 4" of a memory foam, but not bad. 

There are also a whole bunch of inflatable air mattresses on the market.  I might go that way instead of the mat in your case.  Would pack up and take up less space for storage.  And you can inflate/deflate once on site.  Take a tent with you and you have the option to sleep outside.   Many have built in air pumps that use batteries or 12v vehicle power.  My wife and I have used a queen inflatable for camping and for touring bike rides, (RAGBRAI, Erie Canal rides).  I'm sure you could find one that fits the Transit.

Maybe something like this:

https://jet.com/product/detail/2ee6c78646e8466e99316f503cb832ac?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_jd_sporting_goods_a1:outdoor_recreation_a1_other:na:PLA_627042129_26339895780_pla-179710248780:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=[*Campaign*]&ds_cid=[*CampagnID*]&ds_ag=[*Adgroup*]&product_id=2ee6c78646e8466e99316f503cb832ac&product_partition_id=179710248780&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtK3DBRCBxt-Yxduq5p4BEiQAbFiaPepgrEzL6p1IjoDGBiEh5hTRVV_O2qJykttVT9V_kjUaAuiw8P8HAQ

That one has a size of 75" x 39" X 15" which should fit nicely in the Transit LWB.

Tiller

Edited by Tiller

We have a 2014 SWB and while it's not long enough to stretch out full length to sleep, it's not impossible to use for sleeping by any means either.  You can cut a foam mattress to fit it perfectly.  The really nice thing about the SWB wagons is the second row seating comes out in just a minute or two and leaves a flat floor and the seats go back in nearly as fast . . . . I'm not sure it's that easy in the LWB model

I would go check out both versions before deciding you couldn't live with a SWB

When it comes down to the choice between 2013 and earlier and the 2014 and later, it's pretty simple  -  The 6 speed Select Shift automatic is what you want  -  Drive a '13 and then a '14 and you'll see what I mean

Don

No  the seats don't come out in the LWB, however they do fold completely flat in a flash and that leave's  a totally flat surface for sleeping . 

The Gen2 2.5 liter engine is a big part of the better drive-ability along with the 6 Speed.

Edited by G B L

When it comes to tatami, there are more options out there.

https://www.wayfair.com/Oriental-Furniture-Tatami-Platform-Bed-TATAMI-BED-BLK-OFN2175.html?PiID[]=9249351&source=hotdeals

Customer Image Zoomed

Magnifying glass

Main Image Thumbnail Main Image Thumbnail Main Image Thumbnail Main Image Thumbnail Main Image Thumbnail

http://www.orientalfurniture.com/oriental-furniture/TATAMI6.html?Category_Code=tatami-mat-flooring

TATAMI6--.jpg?yocs=9_&yoloc=us

TATAMI6--.jpg?yocs=9_&yoloc=us
TATAMI6_2.jpg?yocs=9_&yoloc=us

Shipped custom boxed and fully insured for complete reliability from our warehouse via FedEx Home Delivery.

• Quality Control: Your order is inspected prior to shipping to eliminate any problems or defects.
  • Packing: Your order will be boxed for maximum safety and protection during shipping.
  • Insurance: Each order is fully insured before shipping and this cost is included in our shipping price.
fedex
TATAMI6--.jpg

6' x 3' Full Size Tatami Mat

$120.00
was: $153.00 save: $33Shipping: $59.00

icon_instock.png?yocs=9_&yoloc=us In Stock Ready for immediate delivery!

Quantity: 

5 out of 55 out of 55 out of 55 out of 55 out of 5 4 Reviews Write a review

DESCRIPTION

History of Tatami: Tatami mats come to you straight from the Far East, where they have been making Tatami for hundreds of years. Tatami mats started as floor coverings and were also used to make chairs or benches by placing several Tatami on top of each other. When they were first made, Tatami mats were seen as luxury items for the wealthy when most people had dirt floors. Another function of Tatami was to indicate rank. The most exalted members of a ceremony or gathering were given the privilege of sitting on the Tatami, while others sat on the wooden floor. Tatami mats are much more widely used today, but are still employed for Japanese religious rites and tea ceremonies.

• Tatami mats are constructed of Japanese Rush Grass with a double layer top for extra protection
  • The inside is a baked Dried Rice Straw Fill for strength and durability
  • Each mat is sewn with a black fabric border and bound with twine
  • A moisture resistant barrier is included in the foundation of the mat
  • Orders of one, two or three are shipped out Oversized FedEx Ground service, while four or more will be palleted and shipped by FedEx Freight service, curbside delivery only

Dimensions:
35.39"W x 70.88"D x 2.00"H
Base Weight:
66 pounds
SKU:
TATAMI6

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/foam/1-jumbo-soft-tile.html

1" MMA Mats

1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats1" MMA Mats
default.jpgbutton-play.png

1" MMA Mats

Price from 
$1.89 sqft
SAVE
25%
$7.56 tile
reg: $2.52 sqft
tile: $10.08

kid safe, allergen free

free3dayshipping.jpg 
Color:roll over image to magnify