Ford Transit Connect Forum

LED Headlights

After years of trying different lamps on different cars, I have learned a little.  Almost every "brand" comes from a handful of factories in Shenzhen, China.  That's why most look similar.  The factories will produce for different vendors and label the package with different brands.  Some of the "brands", are actually the same company, using multiple brand names for market share.   Some brands have been around longer, are established, and not "fly by night".  Those sellers will be around in case you have a problem.  What that usually means is that they will replace your product or refund the purchase so you will not be at a total loss.  If you buy something for a lower cost, it probably came from the same factory.  If it works, you won't have a problem.  The current lamps I am using in my pickup truck and van; the sellers no longer exist under those brand names.  They are still working flawlessly.  I got lucky. 

Buying from Amazon, you get the A to Z Guarantee.  From eBay, you're not getting that level of product support.  So if the listing on Amazon shows a 1 year warranty, and the seller no longer exist, you can still file a claim with Amazon for a refund.  Some of the brands which have been around are BeamTech, Yita Motor, JDM AStar, SiriusLED.  Not that it means much, but some brands do have their own websites outside of Amazon & eBay, with a product selection guide.  Neither Sylvania or Phillips sell LED headlights.

https://www.siriusledlights.com/pages/product-result?rq=yr_2016~mk_ford~md_transit-connect~ft_base-model~nm_low-beam-headlight-bulb

https://www.beamtechs.com/

https://www.yitamotor.com/pages/product-result?rq=yr_2016~mk_ford~md_transit-connect~px_exterior-lights~kj_titanium-mini-passenger-van-4-door~uc_1-6l-1596cc-97cu-in-l4-gas-dohc-turbocharged

I'm pretty happy overall with my Lasfit LED bulbs. They're dual-color 3000K/6000K switchback and the only part I'm not too happy about is that the 6000K white beam shines too high on the road. I have the lights adjusted all the way down, with low-moderate weight in the back of the van (maybe 125lbs right behind the seats and another 100-150lbs at the back doors in a toolbox), and they shine a bit higher down the road than I'd like - I don't want to blind people, but I've never been flashed for them, come to think of it. I usually use the 3000K, anyway, since I prefer yellow headlights, but it's nice to have the option to just turn them off-on real quick to change colors, when needed. I've even seen some tri-colors available these days, like 3000K/4300K/6000K or something. Here's the dual-color Lasfit that I bought. For anyone wondering, 6000K is the first color when turning the lights on after they've been off for at least 5 seconds, then I can switch them on-off-on within a 5 second span (usually like 0.5 seconds for me) to change to the other color. I have straight-white 6000K bulbs in my F350 and the light pattern is much better. That truck of course has low/high on the same bulb, so dual-color was not available for it and that also means the white LED's could be placed in the right spot instead of sharing real estate with the yellow LED COB. 

I saw some old discussion about the Canadian DRL's (and American, for the few vans/wagons here that have them); those are an option via Forscan, so I would bet they can be disabled via programming since the BCM controls the lights. I hate them for my vehicles, so I've never tried turning them on as an experiment, lol.

• 10 months later...

Many LED headlights are no improvement. Some are worse than stockers in my experience. Most arent' really worth the trouble, if there is a slight big more light it's usually a slight bit less light somewhere else..  Most don't aim properly and so throw too much light too high or too low.   (LED bulbs without a proper (not oem generally) reflector aren't good.   Do ANY after market LED bulbs have the federally mandated cut off so yoiu dont' blind oncoming traffic.  In my town most seem to not   LED headlights are designed specifically for that bulb design.    Just general info not tc specific. so sorry if contradicted by other posts that are tc specific. didnt' read whole thread

one other sometimes significant factor is sometimes you don't' much if any light  low and out to the side. Leaves the side of the road very dark. Stock lights are supposed to light up very specifc areas to a minimum federal standard.  LED have no such standards (maybe stockers?) and typically under light one or more of those areas. But certainly new and better stuff coming out all the time and I haven't touched anything new in a year. 

Edited by MLB

On 11/21/2016 at 11:49 PM, Fifty150 said:

Has anyone here tried to install a modified H9 high beam into their H11 low beam housing?

I've made a few cross country trips since replacing my H11 low beams with the modified H9 bulbs. YouTube has videos for the modification of the H9 bulb. For me the brightness and extra distance the H9 cast is much improve over the original H11 bulb. Makes it easier driving the expressways late at night. During the H9 bulb swap,  I realign my headlights slightly higher. But not so high to affect on-coming drivers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well that's LED's ADDED to what you already have. Of course it's more light.  I think the questions and what I responded to, was people putting aftermarket bulbs in the stock headlight housing.  

54 minutes ago, MLB said:

Well that's LED's ADDED to what you already have. Of course it's more light.  I think the questions and what I responded to, was people putting aftermarket bulbs in the stock headlight housing.  

Fifty150 clearly also does have LED headlight bulbs in the OEM housings, especially since he started this post and said he has LED H11 bulbs...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, jrm223 said:

Fifty150 clearly also does have LED headlight bulbs in the OEM housings, especially since he started this post and said he has LED H11 bulbs...

Really? Where exactly?

After years of trying different lamps on different cars, I have learned a little.  Almost every "brand" comes from a handful of factories in Shenzhen, China.  That's why most look similar.  The factories will produce for different vendors and label the package with different brands.  Some of the "brands", are actually the same company, using multiple brand names for market share.   Some brands have been around longer, are established, and not "fly by night".  Those sellers will be around in case you have a problem.  What that usually means is that they will replace your product or refund the purchase so you will not be at a total loss.  If you buy something for a lower cost, it probably came from the same factory.  If it works, you won't have a problem.  The current lamps I am using in my pickup truck and van; the sellers no longer exist under those brand names.  They are still working flawlessly.  I got lucky. 

Buying from Amazon, you get the A to Z Guarantee.  From eBay, you're not getting that level of product support.  So if the listing on Amazon shows a 1 year warranty, and the seller no longer exist, you can still file a claim with Amazon for a refund.  Some of the brands which have been around are BeamTech, Yita Motor, JDM AStar, SiriusLED.  Not that it means much, but some brands do have their own websites outside of Amazon & eBay, with a product selection guide.  Neither Sylvania or Phillips sell LED headlights.

https://www.siriusledlights.com/pages/product-result?rq=yr_2016~mk_ford~md_transit-connect~ft_base-model~nm_low-beam-headlight-bulb

https://www.beamtechs.com/

https://www.yitamotor.com/pages/product-result?rq=yr_2016~mk_ford~md_transit-connect~px_exterior-lights~kj_titanium-mini-passenger-van-4-door~uc_1-6l-1596cc-97cu-in-l4-gas-dohc-turbocharged

On 3/23/2021 at 12:33 AM, MLB said:

Really? Where exactly?

Since Fifty150 started the post (notice that I had said "especially since he started this post and said he has LED H11 bulbs..."), that would mean post #1 on page #1. As quoted here, note the author name & post date/time:

On 11/17/2016 at 9:47 PM, Fifty150 said:

Just installed LED H11 that came from Amazon.com.  Easy plug-n-play installation.  Because of extra wiring and LED driver, keeping the dust caps was not an option.  Not a big deal, since LED lights run hot and have a fan built in for cooling; you will want to have airflow as opposed to trapping the heat with the dust caps.  Initial impression is that road seems brighter, and LED reflects better on signage.  It could just be my mind playing tricks on me.  With OEM halogen hitting the pavement, already illuminated by yellowish sodium vapor street lights, you can't really tell what your headlights are doing.  With LED lighting on the pavement, you can obviously see the white light.  

KIMG0132.JPG

For what it's worth, the photos are nothing like real life, real world, through your eyes.  Different cameras have different lenses which do different things with light.  If you are using professional photography equipment, you could make the photo of the lighting look good or bad.