Ford Transit Connect Forum

Interest in interior panel kit?

BananaVan

Hi guys, I am a super happy new owner of a transit connect cargo as my bike and ski carrier. One of the things I have not been ecstatic with however is the hardboard panels on the sliding and rear doors. I am thinking of making up a replacement set out of a super impact resistant polypropylene composite called tegris. It was developed for ballistic purposes but is really hard wearing and used in other areas such as high end luggage. I happen to work for a helicopter outfitter who provides interior protection kits made out of the material.

I have heard of a few other complaints about the hardboard and would be curious to see if there was enough interest in such a kit to justify producing a few sets for sale. The material is completely waterproof, extremely impact resistant, temperature stable, and generally very wear resistant. A massive upgrade over hardboard. It also has a pretty cool looking finish somewhere between carbon fibre and tweed. I am considering two separate kits. One would replace all existing hardboard panels using OEM fasteners. A second would provide new panels for the window areas and likely affix using either industrial velcro (my preference and what is used in several helicopter kits) or customer drilled fasteners. The picture below shows the areas in red that I would like to make panels for. 

Costs would likely be around $250-300 for each kit as the material itself is quite expensive. I have attached a few pictures showing the material. Around 5-10 sets on either kit would the point where we could consider production. Let me know what you think and about any questions or suggestions.

Cheers!

(PS individual modifications such as speaker cutouts or engraved logos could also be possible) 

floorkit.jpg

Van Area.png

floortexture.jpg

tegrispanel.jpg

Great idea, I was just thinking of securing mine today once I get the garage empty and can start working on logos and such. It's been discussed here before and some members have made their from aluminum composite board. I'll just go with 5 mm PVC board and silicone it to place.

• 4 months later...

I replaced ALL of the Masonite panels with textured ABS from Tap Plastics for $65. I traced the old panels, and reused the plastic clips. I matched the thickness, no rattles. Looks great! A jig saw and one day of my labor is all it took. 

• 2 months later...

Tegris is a fine idea, especially for a cargo van.  Would the kit include both door panels or just one?  :dogwalk:    Also, what is the appx weight of each panel.  I would expect it to be somewhat light given it's use. 

Edited by Loafer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...