Ford Transit Connect Forum

The newer cars use the engine oil for more than lubrication. The oil is the actuation fluid for the Cam timers, changing the viscosity can cause a malfunction in the engine operation.

Motor oil that meets the API certifications will not hurt the  engine if you match the specs in the manual. Valvoline, Napa, Super Tech, Pennzoil Mobil 1 and most others will meet the Ford spec. 

15 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

That is why oil change is such a hotly debated topic.  

A lot of people feel exactly as you do.  They will only use what is specified in the owners manual.  I understand your position.  

The owners manual has more than one print version.  Some owners manuals say that Ford recommends Castrol.  I have a Ford truck with a fuel cap which says to use BP Fuel.  I wouldn't get very far, because there are no BP Fuel Stations in my area.  I have heard that it is simply a business decision to print a recommended brand into the owners manual.  The cars are not specifically engineered to used one specific brand of oil.  Others will also point out that as per the owners manual, you will be fine as long as you are using oil with the API starburst logo.  

My personal choice is to use the correct weight oil, and change oil at or before the recommended maintenance schedule, or follow the recommended maintenance schedule for severe duty.. My driving is at low speeds, stop & go traffic, and extended idle sitting in traffic all day.  Yet I see how plenty of people will post their used oil analysis report to prove that they can drive for 10,000 miles or more with their choice of oil brand.  I don't think that you have to use Motorcraft only.  I have no problem with using Motorcraft, and use it every chance I can get a good price.  Just picked up a case of Motorcraft transmission fluid, since it was even less in cost than the Wal*Mart SuperTech brand.  While Motorcraft brand oil & filters are good, there are other options.  

oil.jpg

Excellent info ,  you must have the official service manual of the 2018 Transit Connect .

4 hours ago, G B L said:

The newer cars use the engine oil for more than lubrication. The oil is the actuation fluid for the Cam timers, changing the viscosity can cause a malfunction in the engine operation.

Motor oil that meets the API certifications will not hurt the  engine if you match the specs in the manual. Valvoline, Napa, Super Tech, Pennzoil Mobil 1 and most others will meet the Ford spec. 

Which is probably why most small cars do not have an engine oil cooler.  Engine Temperature is typically reduced by radiator fluid, airflow, and fans.

Does anyone know if the Ford Specs for oil are so rigid and demanding, that you can't use just about any over-the-counter oil with the API Starburst?  

6 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

It's all available online.  Every owners manual for late model cars can be found online.

Late model cars i agree ,  i can't even find many accessories for my 2018 ,   tons and tons of info on Transit Connects up to the year 2017 though .

7 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Does anyone know if the Ford Specs for oil are so rigid and demanding, that you can't use just about any over-the-counter oil with the API Starburst?  

Well I will be in trouble if that is true because I have used Castrol , Super Tech , Motor Craft, and several others in the ten plus oil changes on My TC. 

I will try and find the post about the service manual  down load .  It is priced around $ 60.00 and is very comprehensive .

Edited by G B L

3 hours ago, G B L said:

Well I will be in trouble if that is true because I have used Castrol , Super Tech , Motor Craft, and several others in the ten plus oil changes on My TC. 

I will try and find the post about the service manual  down load .  It is priced around $ 60.00 and is very comprehensive .

I wouldn't worry about it ,  not like you can do anything about it now even if it wasn't the exact spec .   I think when you obtain something new,  like a vehicle,  you go through this excitement stage where you want to make sure you do everything correctly but shortly thereafter when the excitement stage wears off your mindset changes and you go into the " Anything thats left on the shelf will have to do " mindset  mode.

On another note you found a place where you can download the service manual for $60.00 , thats a lot cheaper than what i have seen in the past it's closer to $90.00 .

Edited by herb

As for accessories, most products which work on 2017, should work on 2018.  Floor mats, seat covers, and things like that should be fine.  Since the doors still look the same, I would say that those vent visors should also work.  You're not getting any mods to make the van go faster.  No intakes, exhaust, tuners, or anything like a supercharger.  

My feeling is that you can use any 5W-20 oil with the API starburst.  I suspect that every over-the-counter oil sold at major retailers is approved by The American Petroleum Institute for gasoline engines.  O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, Wal*Mart, Costco.....none will sell you some off-brand oil which is not approved.  And every major brand oil is approved...Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil, et cetera.

Amazon Basics is just Amazon.com's version of an in-house brand.  Their own generic.  Just like when you shop at Trader Joe's, and every product in the store is an in-house label.  I like their $2 wine and Trader Jose beer (generic Corona).  Same as when you buy SuperTech at Wal*Mart.  Amazon Basics motor oil is manufactured by Warren Distribution, Made In USA, and meets or exceeds all the spec levels that auto manufacturers require.  Warren Distribution makes perfectly acceptable motor oil.  We are driving Transit Connect vans with little 2.5L engines.  Not high performance engine cars.  

81gGUfsx4LL._SL1500_.jpg

It's not like that GM scam calling for Dexos....Most oil already meets Dexos spec.  Dexos is a license that some oil sellers simply choose not to pay for.  And with as many years as Dexos spec has been around, there has not been 1 GM that I have ever heard of, which suffered engine seizure because the owner did not use Dexos.  I suspect that plenty of GM are being serviced with discount fleet oil, whatever Jiffy Lube & other chains use, or whatever some guy finds on sale and just uses anyway.  

I am not going to names here, but I have had the pleasure of watching a mechanic at a shop here locally get the oil from the supply room to do a oil change. The Customer specified it had to be Castrol 10w30 and nothing else. Me and the mechanic (A Friend) walk into the supply room where six 55 gallon drums are sitting. He grabs a empty Castrol 10w30 jug, walks over to one of the drums, pumps the pump handle and fills the jug up. Walks out and dumps it in the Customers car. The side of all six drums were labeled Havoline 10w20. 

Yet another reason I do not take mine anywhere. You just never know. But name brand is not to big of an issue for me as long as it meets the requirements. The name on the jug does not keep my car running, its whats inside.  But that is just me, unless it is mayonnaise and then it better be Duke's. 

2 hours ago, G B L said:

Here is the Web site for the Manual.  The price is 69 for the pdf, and 129 for the version that has active hyperlinks.

https://www.factory-manuals.com/expand-ford-transit-connect-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-factory-repair-manual-344.html

Ford Transit Transit/Connect 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 factory repair manual

I wonder if there are really any differences .  I would think from like the 2015 on up would all be very similar , i'm talking mainly the 2.5 liter engine.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:29 AM, BSUPC said:

I may have to try this. 

I've been doing it for years.  Once upon a time, I had a girlfriend who was trained in a culinary school.  I don't use vinegar, just the squeeze of fresh lemon.  I use olive oil.  At the end, I add crushed garlic.  Only fresh ingredients of course.  No garlic powder or garlic from a jar.  Only fresh lemons from my brother in law's Meyer Lemon tree.  Only fresh eggs from the farmers market.  Locally, I can get fresh, cold pressed, olive oil.  Garlic grows in my back yard.  Lemon skin can be zested.  Egg whites are used for omelettes, frosting, or steaming.  Even the egg shells are used in a stock recipe, then into a compost bin in the garden.  Nothing is wasted.   Living in California, we can buy fresh & local, and our climate allows us to grow quite a bit.  Even downtown, at the little apartment, I have food growing on the balcony.  5 gallon buckets from Home Depot are growing potatoes and tomatoes.  A fish tank becomes a makeshift aquaponic system with all the green onion I want, all year round.  

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess every year, about this time, motor oil goes on sale and a lot of rebates are available.  There's a $5 coupon @ Walmart for Mobile 1, then you get a $12 rebate.  O'Reilly's has a $10 off $20 coupon.  Shell Rotella Gas Truck has a $10 rebate.  Havoline is a $5 rebate.  Pennzoil is $10 rebate.  5 quart jugs for the name brands end up cheaper than Supertech oil.  Even oil filters are lower in price.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Holiday weekend oil change. Here is a photo of the funnel which fits under the cowling.  

5.7 quarts.  32 ounces to a quart. So you need another 22.4 ounces. I use a paint mix bucket. I also add a little oil into the filter which I consider to be 0.4 ounce. 

In case anyone is curious, the Fumoto valve does stick out.

No jacks. No ramps. I used the incline of a driveway. Just enough to get it done.

PSX_20200905_143204.jpg

PSX_20200905_143247.jpg

PSX_20200905_143125.jpg

PSX_20200905_143034.jpg