Ford Transit Connect Forum

22 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

One really has to wonder what the heck the thought process was on this one. The only thing I can think is that they must have passed out tubes of glue at engineering meetings.

I think the 'thought process' went something like this  -  First, we'll just call it a 'lifetime maintenance-free transmission' so you'll never need to check or change trans fluid, so no dipstick needed . . . . and it is a lifetime trans  -  When it fails at 75K, well, that was it's 'lifetime'.  Second, if we eliminate the dipstick, owners will be forced to come to the dealer for the really easy things they used to do themselves  -  Win, win for Ford . . . . at least in their thinking

I didn't really have a problem with that when we bought our TC  -  I had already decided I was about DONE crawling under cars to do the routine stuff and I actually planned to just let my Ford dealer do it all.  That was before I had a chance to deal with the two dealerships closest to my house  -  Neither of them will ever touch my car again, so it's a good thing I didn't throw away my ramps.  Luckily, more than 90% of all the miles we drive are in electric vehicles, which are virtually maintenance free, so it's not often I find myself on the ground under a car these days . . . . but if I had checked out my dealerships before hand I would never have bought my first Ford . . . . . 

Don

5 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I think the 'thought process' went something like this  -  First, we'll just call it a 'lifetime maintenance-free transmission' so you'll never need to check or change trans fluid, so no dipstick needed . . . . and it is a lifetime trans  -  When it fails at 75K, well, that was it's 'lifetime'.  Second, if we eliminate the dipstick, owners will be forced to come to the dealer for the really easy things they used to do themselves  -  Win, win for Ford . . . . at least in their thinking

A fairly accurate summary I'd say, but you say it nicer than I ever would.

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen prices this low in over a decade.

\

• 816aHxA25JL._SY450_.jpg
Roll over image to zoom in

AmazonBasics High Mileage Motor Oil - Synthetic Blend (SN Plus) - 5W-20 - 1 Quart-6 Pack

List Price: $24.99 
With Deal: $14.58 Free Shipping for Prime Members 

Personally I prefer 5W30 or even 5W40 for better performance at the high temp range.  On my old 2005 Vibe I always used 5W40 and never a problem, even when towing my pop-up (about 1500lbs Gross) in hot, humid weather ang bumper-to-bumper traffic.  I had however added a trans cooler in series with the built-in one.

With no dipstick on the 2016 TC, I'd never try to connect that extra cooler myself and the dealer's estimate really put me off.

BTW, when I had service done (Ford service plan) and they changed the tires for winters, they "claimed" 4 nuts were stripped and charged me $8.95 CDN EACH (+tax) for the replacements.

Edited by Gideon
correction

2 hours ago, Gideon said:

charged me $8.95 CDN EACH (+tax) for the replacements.

M12x1.5 is a common size used for a lot of different cars. I just bought 20 from amazon.com for $6.49 USD......price for 20, not each.  That is about 33 cents per piece.  Almost what you expect to pay for nuts and bolts. 

18 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I would.

oil 1.jpg

Not using any synthetic blend meaning no blends that are not Ford approved ,  i will always use the blend Ford approves not just any synthetic blend like other brands.

That is why oil change is such a hotly debated topic.  

A lot of people feel exactly as you do.  They will only use what is specified in the owners manual.  I understand your position.  

The owners manual has more than one print version.  Some owners manuals say that Ford recommends Castrol.  I have a Ford truck with a fuel cap which says to use BP Fuel.  I wouldn't get very far, because there are no BP Fuel Stations in my area.  I have heard that it is simply a business decision to print a recommended brand into the owners manual.  The cars are not specifically engineered to used one specific brand of oil.  Others will also point out that as per the owners manual, you will be fine as long as you are using oil with the API starburst logo.  

My personal choice is to use the correct weight oil, and change oil at or before the recommended maintenance schedule, or follow the recommended maintenance schedule for severe duty.. My driving is at low speeds, stop & go traffic, and extended idle sitting in traffic all day.  Yet I see how plenty of people will post their used oil analysis report to prove that they can drive for 10,000 miles or more with their choice of oil brand.  I don't think that you have to use Motorcraft only.  I have no problem with using Motorcraft, and use it every chance I can get a good price.  Just picked up a case of Motorcraft transmission fluid, since it was even less in cost than the Wal*Mart SuperTech brand.  While Motorcraft brand oil & filters are good, there are other options.  

oil.jpg