Ford Transit Connect Forum

Winter Tire Thread

chong

As soon as the weather turned, I swapped the stock crap all-seasons for the winter tires off the Subaru Impreza I had just sold. So the van is running Dunlop Wintersport 4D tires for this winter. Even with good winter tires on it, I am astonished how utterly useless this van is in the snow! It won't go, it won't stop, and it won't turn. It's so bad that, no joke, I can't even get of my own driveway in bad weather. The stability control system also actually prevents a good driver from being able to maximize his chances of avoiding an accident. I'm

Moving past that, if you stay in the 205/55R16 size you probably stole off your Subaru, you have options like the Wintersport or other "high performance winter" tires if your local winters are mostly cold and dry, or rainy, with only a couple of snow days a year. If you have more frequent snow, the General Altimax Arctic are VERY good snow tires. They're a tire design General bought from Gislavd, so they're serious hard core nordic snow tires. They're what I used to use for our winter rally events. However, like the Blizzaks you're annoyed at now, the prices for near-invicinble snow grip is that they're like driving on pudding if the road is dry.

I have 3 snow seasons with the TC,  It is not the best winter vehicle I have had but it it is acceptable with good winter tires.  You must get proficient at turning the Traction control off . Once you are able to control this feature then you will have a fairly capable vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to try out the Nokian Nordman 7's last night. They are awesome and the TC plowed right through it all. These tires took care of my starting and stopping problems I was having with the all seasons. Money well spent, and kicking myself for not doing it years ago. 

On 1/19/2018 at 8:14 AM, G B L said:

Nokian makes very good winter tires, The Fins know how snow tires work.

On behalf of Finns (two n's, lol), we thank you - kiitos! - for your compliment. Even if I've never been to Finland myself - my great-grandparents on dad's/dad's side came here to the US around 1916. Now I just need to build myself a new sauna since I had to sell my old one to have a down-payment for my new home last year...

My first set of snow tires were used Nokias (without the "n" in the end as they were not marketed in English speaking regions back then) I got from Finland in 1990 (had family there back then). Most of the studs were gone and there were about 3 mm of tread left. They were much better than summer tires but not too good on ice.

This tread pattern:

6776164984.jpg

We had a few inches of snow ( nothing serious) here a week or so ago and I DO like the Weathermasters. I really don't get what people say about snow tires being noisy or loud. They seem about the same as regular tires to me.......although I could just be getting old and deaf. :)

Depends on the type and tread pattern. Studded tires are harder and the studs are ticking hard. 

Studless tires with arctic compound are soft, mushy and quiet. Studless for general moderate climate use (most of snow belt) have medium soft compound and are relatively quiet due to high tech geometric tread patterns.

• 1 month later...

Nice little second day of spring snow out this morning so I am about to get my first taste of the TC in the snow. Have to get the van inspected & oil change before heading to NC next week. We'll see how she does but the Uniroyals on it are definitely not snow tires.

The real issue with the Snow is practice I have driven lots of types of vehicles in the snow over the years.  Some are great some are not, but they all can go where you need most of the time.

The key is knowing how the vehicle you are in at the time will handle.

The only other rule of thumb is knowing when to stay off the roads when the number of idiot drivers rises to and unacceptable level.

I had Toyo G02+ on my ol' pickup truck & even in their 6th winter, I got through 20cm blizzards, no worries.

They got "new & improved" by Toyo as the GSI5. Brand-new, I get stuck in 6 flakes of snow. 

I know what my FTC will NOT be wearing next fall!

GK

• 2 weeks later...