Ford Transit Connect Forum

Installing Aftermarket Radio/Nav Unit

Beta Don

• 2 weeks later...

A picture (sorry it's not a better one . . . . couldn't get in the back seat for a better angle) of the installed Pioneer AVIC 6100 NEX CD/DVD Nav receiver installed in the dash

The upper screen displays the date, time and temperature and it still functions as the OEM back-up camera

Don

P1000299.jpg

From what the 'experts' told me, the OEM back-up camera is a digital  CanBus unit and is not compatible with the Pioneer which needs a standard video camera, so if you want the picture on the larger radio screen you have to install a new camera which uses a co-axial video cable  -  Mount a new camera and run a new cable to the rear of the van  -  I wasn't interested in doing that

So, when I 'wasted' $75 on the first interface harness to install the Pioneer only to discover that it did away with the back-up camera I was more than just a little pissed  -  If you publish a half page of specifications for everything your interface does, you could at least mention that it does away with the camera and you would have to buy and install a new one.  I contacted the 'experts' at Crutchfield again about the Axxess XSVI-5524-NAV harness I was looking at and they told me 'none of the harnesses for your Ford retain the camera' . . . . so I called Axxess directly the following Monday and they told me the opposite  -  It doesn't mess with the camera, so I ordered that one and installed it  -  Works perfectly.  There is an add-on kit if you have steering wheel controls and you want them to work

The problem with these new-fangled CanBus controlled cars is that all the info an aftermarket radio needs is on the Bus, so you have to use a little electronic box to pick off the signals you want and send them to the radio  -  The Axxess XSVI-5524-NAV harness does that and it works with the late model TC's

Don

10 hours ago, G B L said:

I think the biggest change in the cars , is that the driving , hauling people around and carrying stuff part has gone way down on the list of what is important   

We bought the TC for exactly that reason  -  It's much more comfortable to drive long distances in, has a much bigger cargo area, is way easier to load and unload and the passenger vs cargo usage is much more versatile than the hatchback we replaced.  We leave the rear seats in it when we're using it to haul the grandkids around and we take them out when it's just the two of us doing long distance touring  -  Gives us plenty of room to haul our Segways and they are much easier to load and unload with the flat floor being as low as the rear bumper.  All that with nearly 30 mpg makes it the most practical vehicle for us, no matter what we want to do with it  -  Now if it would just do a U-turn in 20 feet and fit in a parking space meant for a Smart Car, we'd pretty much have it all  :love_shower:

Don

• 1 month later...

So confused. We just bought a used 2016 (with our VW Diesel settlement check!) and I want to transfer my Pioneer 4000-NEX (double DIN carplay system, similar to the above). I contacted Axxess, and they said: 

"  At this time, we don't have anything that's going to give you the backup cam, as well as the interface and all your factory functions. For now, the best thing for you to do, is going to be to run the XSVI-5524-NAV, along with the ASWC-1. Keep the screen plugged in, as this is a data loop for the system. The interface won't work if it's not connected, nor will the ASWC-1 (through data). To get your backup cam, you can tag your wires on the factory side of the display connector."

I didn't know what "tag" meant, so he explained: 

"As for “tagging” the factory wires, you’re going to need to splice into the factory wires, and solder an RCA onto them. This way you’ll keep that factory display connector in-tact for data transfer, and will also be able to retain your analog camera."

Does this sound right to you all? It means no steering wheel controls, right? What other Sync features will I lose (I assume I'll have to bluetooth and Sirus via the Pioneer unit and an add-on mic/sirius adapter/antenna.) 

I'll have a pro install it, but I want to be sure that it'll all work—backup camera, sirius, bluetooth, etc. 

Any advice or alternatives would be appreciated greatly! Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure as to what they are telling you.  It could be that they are assuming you want the OEM camera to display on your Pioneer and that's not possible.  As it was explained to me, the OEM camera is digital and the Pioneer wants to display an analog signal so they're not compatible.  Take that with a grain of salt though, as I've been told all sorts of things that turned out not to be true  -  The Crutchfield 'expert' told me there was no available harness which kept my OEM back-up camera, but that turned out to be wrong 

I'm 99% sure the XSVI-5524-NAV harness will install your Pioneer correctly and retain the stock back up camera . . . . . but I'm not sure if adding the ASWC-1 harness to retain your steering wheel controls will keep the camera functioning or not  -  Maybe not

Worst case, adding the ASWC-1 harness to get the steering wheel controls operational costs you the OEM back up camera and you end up installing a new $50 camera and route it direct to the Pioneer

My van did not come with OEM steering wheel controls, but I later installed a very nice OEM leather wrapped steering wheel which does have them, but because the van did not come with them, the computer isn't programmed for them to work  -  They didn't work with the OEM radio before I removed it and adding an aftermarket harness in an attempt to make them work didn't do the job with the Pioneer either.  I'm fairly sure I can 'tag' the wires under the steering wheel and route them direct to the Pioneer and get them to work, but I haven't got around to confirming that yet

Yes, your Bluetooth and Sirius will be a function of the Pioneer when you get it installed  -  New microphone and Sirius adapter will be required

Good luck with your install and please post your results here  -  Every bit of new info will help the next guy 

Don

Edited by Beta Don

A lot of the lower price point cameras, most likely CMOS technology, have LED lighting built in.  The alternative is to install LED lighting in tandem with the camera.  I installed inexpensive cameras along with inexpensive LED lights.  Night vision is great.

51W1unNEOdL.jpg51bbvaCLhlL._SL1001_.jpg71x9y58CBaL._SL1500_.jpg61hYxBIzbSL._SL1000_.jpg61LYtcMJm8L._SL1500_.jpg

KIMG0091.JPG.17e53eb25da77a7befee735d982617e1.JPG

KIMG0121.JPG.9f5788afdada0296871cdd19982a8929.JPG

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the iDatalink/Maestro aftermarket radio adapter/steering wheel control. A pricier solution than Axxess, to be sure, but it appears to offer vastly more functionality. 

Info here, and I've also attached a screen shot of the relevant product page and documentation. Would love some thoughts...

http://maestro.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/102

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 8.03.53 AM.jpg

Transit Connect iDatalink.pdf

You know, my main goal is to get carplay working (I like it, my wife loves it). Don't current Fords have a new Sync system that includes Carplay? It seems amazing to me that this can't simply be purchased and installed as an aftermarket or dealer accessory. Has anyone tried to do this?

• 2 months later...

From what I've learned so far  -  Two dealerships have told me that "If it didn't come with the car, it can't be installed later on"  There are very few electronic dealer installed accessories (if any) that I've found.  I do know that you cannot 'upgrade' the OEM stereo that came with your car to a newer, better version of an OEM stereo.  At least that's what I've been told.  I found the next better version of the OEM stereo on eBay and I thought I would just buy that, install it and then have the dealer reprogram the computer and I'd have the stereo I wanted.  Good thing I checked first because two dealers told me it couldn't be done

So far as I could determine, the only difference between a USA model TC without DRL's and a Canadian version with DRL's is . . . . just a change in the CanBus computer program, but when I went to the dealer specifically to pay them to turn on my DRL's, they told me it couldn't be done  -  My TC didn't come with them and that's that

A big part of the problem is . . . . we're driving computer controlled cars and not every dealership has a computer literate person in the service bay  -  They all have the computer to hook to the car and make all sorts of changes, but few have anyone who knows how to do 10% of what can be done . . . . and they don't seem to be in any big hurry to get anyone trained.  Easiest thing to do is to just tell everyone it can't be done, rather than just admit you don't know how to do it.  It took the dealer a week to reprogram my power window so it worked correctly  -  First thing they did was change the power window motor, which did nothing . . . . but at least they got paid (under warranty) for taking the door apart and putting it back together

The entire car is CanBus controlled.  Signals to do anything and everything are put on a loop and whatever function needs the information picks it off the loop.  The OEM car stereo gets 100% of everything it needs from the CanBus loop and the radio was designed that way  -  Aftermarket stereos are NOT designed to be CanBus compatible.  They use wires to turn things on and not signals

When I installed my Pioneer AVIC-NEX 6100 I thought "I've installed dozens of car stereos over the past 40 years or so . . . . I'll just get me a schematic for the car, find the wires I need and tap into them"  -  Can't be THAT hard, can it?

Well, there are no 'wires' to tap into as it turns out.  My Pioneer needs a switched 12 volt wire, an always hot 12 volt wire, a speed sensor wire, a parking brake wire and so on.  Problem is, none of those 'wires' are available behind the dash

For example, there is no switched 12 volt wire which turns on the OEM radio  -  The CanBus has a signal that turns it on and interestingly, it keeps the radio on after you shut off the car and remove the key.  The radio doesn't turn off until you open a door . . . . and it's a CanBus signal that turns it off.  There is no speed sensor wire  -  It's only a CanBus signal.  The stereo control switches on your steering wheel are NOT connected to the stereo at all  -  They are CanBus input signals that the stereo then picks off the loop

So, when you remove the OEM radio, you have to install an interface between the CanBus and your aftermarket radio, like the Axxess one you looked at previously or the iDatalink one you're looking at now.  I have read some about the programmable ones like the iDatalink and it sounds like they can program (or reprogram) them for you to make it all happen correctly, so you may have found your 'solution'

I would talk to someone (get his/her name) and tell them what you want and that you want to keep your OEM back-up camera working and you expect your steering wheel controls to work 100% and that you will need to return it for a refund if it can't do exactly what they promise you upfront that it can do . . . . and go from there

Installing a new car radio ain't nothin' like it used to be . . . . for sure!

Don

Edited by Beta Don

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 3:59 PM, Beta Don said:

A picture (sorry it's not a better one . . . . couldn't get in the back seat for a better angle) of the installed Pioneer AVIC 6100 NEX CD/DVD Nav receiver installed in the dash

The upper screen displays the date, time and temperature and it still functions as the OEM back-up camera

Don

P1000299.jpg

So you have the factory back up camera already.  If I don't and I install that same head unit and a backup camera with the "normal" wiring harness to do so, do you know if the backup display will be the stocker or the head unit?  Doens't matter, just curious. ;)   Thanks!

Edited by MLB

If cell phone is plugged into a head unit with graphic display and you use a Nav program does the  head unit display show the map or just the voice prompts when they happen?  (as I imagine). 

Edited by MLB

On 2/18/2017 at 3:36 PM, Beta Don said:

From what I've learned so far  -  Two dealerships have told me that "If it didn't come with the car, it can't be installed later on"  There are very few electronic dealer installed accessories (if any) that I've found.  I do know that you cannot 'upgrade' the OEM stereo that came with your car to a newer, better version of an OEM stereo.  At least that's what I've been told.  I found the next better version of the OEM stereo on eBay and I thought I would just buy that, install it and then have the dealer reprogram the computer and I'd have the stereo I wanted.  Good thing I checked first because two dealers told me it couldn't be done

SYNC 3 works with CarPlay/Android auto. It's actually the best implementation of the 3 deck's I've played with (Pioneer AVH-4000 NEX and Alpine iLX-007 being the other 2). If your SYNC 3 vehicle didn't come with CarPlay support, it can be upgraded to support CarPlay. Your dealer is mis-informed.

To answer the poster above me, yes, the head unit will display the map from CarPlay. When you take screenshots on the iPhone with CarPlay enabled, it actually captures both screens. Here's a screenshot from one of my CarPlay enabled vehicles.

33115357622_d5a5165038_z.jpg.fe61ac387921b1ce7132abe9c4e03a35.jpg

Edited by chong

• 10 months later...

question I have a 2014 transit connect wagon the radio has died I will be replacing the radio with a stock am/fm with cd player does anyone know if radio needs programming or is it plug and play also where is the can bus located 

I *think* if you pull out the 'radio' unit that came with the van and replace it with an identical unit that you buy on eBay, it will work OK without having to reprogram anything.  If you try upgrading to a different unit than the one that came in the van, I would say all bets are off  -  You don't know what will happen

Don