Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hit by Lightening at 60 mph

Osco

Sounds like you are well on the way back to having a good TC.  The under car faring must help the TC a lot because Ford would not install something that the owner can't see and would not ask for .   The Rear shocks should be an easy fix if you are handy.  Shockware house has good prices.

• 1 month later...

My Transit Is just fine now and that big fiberboard lower chassis cover under the engine Ford Lost has been replaced with a brand new one free of charge.

The new rear shocks are on and handling Is much Improved, Must have need to replace them sooner.

The best part Is I am changing jobs this month and where I used to drive 1500 to 1900 miles a week before the lightening strike I will work locally.

I will work four to five shifts a week driving only 100-150 miles a week plus the Mustang Is now paid for and the Transit has only 73,000 miles and should last me along time. I no longer actually need the Transit but It will still be perfect because It Is now My official mountain bike hauler :P

Hanging bikes on the back of the Mustang Is just wrong In so many ways :P

• 2 years later...

Remember me ?

My Droid is now at 105,000 miles, I'm retired and have moved to the Smoky mountains.

I finally had to repair something, the driver side door latch, and they did the sliding door recall fix what ever that was I don't know ?

So !

105,000 miles, 

BLASTED by a lightning strike,

with only two other repairs in the life of this minivan,

Before the strike a $225 A/C temp control thermostat, 

and just now a door latch $364, both dealer repaired.....

I'd call that a very reliable vehicle.

I think I'll get the transmission and the cooling system flushed

On 3/16/2019 at 1:43 AM, herb said:

The vehicle that got hit was it a TC or a regular Transit ?  If it was a TC was it a 2nd generation, didn't see it mentioned in your first post .

2015 LWB XLT 2.5 engine

1st gens had a 2.0 Liter engine I think..

Edited by Osco

• 1 year later...

126,000 miles,, not a single problem.

I no longer drive it for a living, I retired a bit early and moved to the mountains. 

The Van is always in select shift, I did have Ford Service the tranny at 115k miles, It shifts no different, seems fine.

I put a new set of plugs in also at 115k, made no performance difference at all. The Old plugs I took out looked fine, like new.

I prolly wasted some money there,, not even any black on the plug Insulators, they looked exactly like the new ones with the correct deposit color

showing me fuel management is spot on.

I cleaned my K&N Air filter, last cleaning was at 80K miles, made no difference In performance. 

All this tells me my fuel/air controls are working fine

Now In the Appalachian mountains  almost never on level roads using select shift and shifting

all the time all over the gears my MPG average over 1 year and 6500 miles is 23.6...

My driving is smooth, never any traffic to sit in, rarely above 65 mph. I think my mpg's are acceptable.

I will keep this van for years to come, until it becomes a money pit. I Picked up a 2004 AWD Escape for $1.000 for winter roads.

Every thing works, cold ac I got it at 195,000 miles and now at 202k, had It two years now.

I Installed a new battery and wipers ford put in two motor mounts.

Now that's a cheap to keep old beater ?

Edited by Osco

9 hours ago, Osco said:

I put a new set of plugs in also at 115k, made no performance difference at all. The Old plugs I took out looked fine, like new.

I prolly wasted some money there,,

No.  You did the right thing. Change the plugs before they foul, misfire, get stuck, break off.......same reason why we change oil before it turns to sludge.

9 hours ago, Osco said:

cleaned my K&N Air filter,

Did it look dirty?

• 3 months later...

At 129,700 miles I was in for a simple repair last week.

The shifter cable clip broke and it was stuck in park but rolled loose in neutral. $165 and fixed.

This has been one of the most trouble free vehicles of all.

But,,,

When I went to pick up the Transit, I call it my Droid. They parked in right behind a black Range rover, I took a second look,

It was a 2021 Bronco Sport. 

I took a test drive,

They said, "This is not the droid they were looking for" ? 

Gave me $7,000 for the Transit Connect,

The Bronco Sport feels, drives and looks like a $50,000 Sport-ute 

End of line.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, Fifty150 said:

Good deal. $7,000 on a trade in. Did they know it got struck by lightning?

Yes I told them the story. The carfax report would show it anyway. It did not matter as It was auction bound.

King Ford as most dealers would not keep any vehicle with 130k miles.