Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014+ TC Manual Conversion

This is an awesome project, one that I would consider doing on my TC. I have the 1.6 model and also a Fiesta ST with the wonderful 6-speed. Going to the 2.0 with a stick would be a dream.

I'm sure you are aware, but you can buy the 2.0 ST motor directly from Ford as a crate package. Includes wiring harness to. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-20T

You'd still have to source a transmission, and when all is said and done you'd probably be close to the same price as a salvage ST anyways, but it's another option.

On 11/3/2016 at 8:32 PM, Beta Don said:

Congrats!!

Tell us more about the one you bought

Don

It's a 2014, SWB, XLT, dark blue with black interior. I got it in Mendham, New Jersey and drove it back to CO to get it registered this past weekend. It's at about 55,000 miles and in really good shape overall. 

Today, I met the Vaccar guys on their way back to Florida from SEMA in Las Vegas. They picked up my van and put it on their trailer to bring to their shop and be ready to work once we find the donor FoST. I've got a bead on one in MA - we'll see if that pans out. 

I got some pictures of the van with their show cars and on the trailer:

1106161114_zpsujrfywiq.jpg

1106161206_zpsach60jpc.jpg

1106161209a_HDR_zpsii13lpyv.jpg

On 11/4/2016 at 3:13 PM, DapperVan said:

This is an awesome project, one that I would consider doing on my TC. I have the 1.6 model and also a Fiesta ST with the wonderful 6-speed. Going to the 2.0 with a stick would be a dream.

I'm sure you are aware, but you can buy the 2.0 ST motor directly from Ford as a crate package. Includes wiring harness to. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-20T

You'd still have to source a transmission, and when all is said and done you'd probably be close to the same price as a salvage ST anyways, but it's another option.

Yeah, I'm aware. The reason for looking for a salvage ST to use is that I'm going for more than just a drivetrain swap - I need engine/transmission/harness/ECU but I also want wheels, exhaust (maybe - we'll see if that can work), front seats, steering wheel, badges, etc. The crate engine is nice for a kit car or something like that but in this case it makes more sense to buy a whole car and pull out what is needed. 

• 3 months later...

A long overdue update:

I have finally found and purchased a donor ST!

It was in West Virginia. Here it is in the trailer to head to Florida to Vaccar's shop:

20170214_131536_zpsqvnm7jyr.jpg

And here it is in the shop with the TC:

unnamed_zpsonmovf3z.jpg

There are a couple things to fix on the ST before they take the motor out - Vaccar thinks it may have a small vacuum or boost leak to chase, and it's better to get that nailed down now. But, things will really start moving now!

Edited by dotmaster206
fixing imaged

Budget is looking okay. I will almost certainly be over it by the end, though. I hadn't factored in enough for transportation of the van from CO to FL or the donor car from WV to FL. The donor car was also more expensive than I had planned, although I should be able to recoup a significant portion of that by selling the shell and interior bits that I'm not using. 

10 hours ago, dotmaster206 said:

Budget is looking okay. I will almost certainly be over it by the end, though. I hadn't factored in enough for transportation of the van from CO to FL or the donor car from WV to FL. The donor car was also more expensive than I had planned, although I should be able to recoup a significant portion of that by selling the shell and interior bits that I'm not using. 

You can also sell all the parts you take out of the van.

18 hours ago, dotmaster206 said:

That is true - I do plan on selling the TC motor and possibly the alloy wheels. 

Anyone got any idea what a 2.5L Duratec motor with ~53k miles on it sells for?

If I wasn't selling my '65 Cortina on eBay right now I'd consider swapping in that Duratec. Would make a great powerplant for a Cortina or Lotus 7 kit car.

I had a '66 Ford Cortina  -  1.6L with twin side draft Webbers.  Mine was rear wheel drive . . . . it would be a tough swap to put a FWD power plant in there IMO

Now if you had a 2.0 with a 6 speed out of a Honda S2000 to swap in there, you'd really have something!

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More progress: the engine is out of the TC:

tcenginepull3_zps8yrbuomp.jpg

You can see the ST in the background engineless as well. 

I also ordered a limited slip differential from MFactory to go into the ST transmission before they stuff it into the van. It'll take about 2 weeks to get that delivered and installed, so in the meantime Vaccar will be working on the interior and sizing things up to try to anticipate as many fitment issues as possible. 

@dotmaster206, keep up the posts. I am nearing 3 years owning a 2013 TC and plan to convert to manual trans when warranty is up.  I live near Orlando so nice to know a local shop will have experience.  The computer stuff makes me nuts. My van is fighting the swap to 17" Escape wheels and I need to turn off passenger seat airbag so I can use the folding Euro passenger seat. 

Will be watching your progress reports. 

• 3 weeks later...

subscribed!!

It's great to see a fellow saabaru owner (tho I sold mine) with a TC, and accomplishing some amazing things. I was just joking with a friend about doing a swap with a 2017 Ford Focus RS, but that was just a pipe dream. You are definitely blazing a trail!