Ford Transit Connect Forum

Interior panels added

tcconvert

I have added interior panels over the ugly window cutouts. 3mm Alupanel was used and the cavity behind the panel is stuffed with 12 oz. of Polyfil for sound deadening and insulation. The plastic layer in the sheeting also serves as a barrier. The process was somewhat involved and required several steps.

Heavy paper patterns were developed first. Next the patterns were transferred to cardboard. Cardboard was cut out and holes were punched, the targets being the three 3/8" threaded holes in the frame. After some further adjustments and a test attach of the template using the actual bolts, the carboard pattern was used to mark out the shape on the Alupanel material. The shape was cut out and the edges filed and sanded smooth.

Getting the panels attached to the van walls requires some force. The material must be forced inwards to allow the 1 1/4" bolts to get started in the threaded holes in the walls. This is due to the slight curvature of the van's side walls. Large rubber washers cushion the panels on both the front and back. Before snugging down all bolts 12 oz. of Polyfil were stuffed between the panel and the wall. A long stick was used to push the Polyfil and adjust it into place. A test fit of the panels without the Polyfil revealed that the material does actually deaden sound.

vanmod1.JPG

vanmod2.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for sharing. very nice job - looks great!

what size metric bolts did you use?

regarding that cable bundle in the upper right corner of your pic - right rear of the van, I snagged that thing the other day since I attach a bungee in that cutout. I wonder why this bundle couldn't be run behind through the framing. didn't look at it very closely but sure would be better if this was tucked out of the way.

Thanks. I think the bolts were 3/8." I bought several lengths as I wasn't sure which would work best. That "wiring bundle" is actually the washer supply line I believe. BTW, my rear washers didn't operate at all at first. discovered the outlet nozzles were clogged with hard deposits of some kind.

2 hours ago, tcconvert said:

Thanks. I think the bolts were 3/8." I bought several lengths as I wasn't sure which would work best. That "wiring bundle" is actually the washer supply line I believe. BTW, my rear washers didn't operate at all at first. discovered the outlet nozzles were clogged with hard deposits of some kind.

thanks - I thought those threaded insert, which were used for seat belts, are all metric - perhaps a T50.

I plan on using those inserts as well at some point so was curious to know the exact size and thread type.

For my needs, I'd like to put a storage cabinet on each side if feasible.

Don't think I've ever used the rear window washers. Those rear windows sure do get dirty though.

Edited by windguy

I considered fabricating long storage bins out of the Alupanel and attaching them to the walls I erected. I backed off when I realized the most valuable feature of this van to me was the massive unencumbered hauling space. My artworks are stored and shipped in custom made cardboard crates, some 80" long x 24" x 12". I could easily stack a half dozen of those inside. Anything that protrudes into the space would reduce the hauling function. Therefore I am determined to store odds and ends in various portable containers that can be instantly cleared out for cargo space.

I use this vehicle in exactly the same manner as I have used a string of pickup trucks for the last 25 years. The difference is that I no longer have to tie things down, restrain them from flying out of the bed, protect them from the weather, or worry about their security (unless someone went to the trouble of breaking in). I may never go back to pickups. This little sucker is a hauler's dream. So far the only real negatives are the road noise and the hard ride. Though this van is more car-like to drive, my pickups were a bit more cushy.

@tcconvert - that's what great about these vans, each owner can customize the box  to their own needs. See attached pic

I'm in agreement that it's nice to have your add-ons easily removable when you need the space for hauling.

I recently removed my hanging rack in order to move a family member. This van is excellent for that purpose. You can stuff a lot of items inside and the interior dimensions seem ideal.  I couldn't be happier with the van's utility. 

Pickups cab be more cushy in the cab area, but IMHO the ride is very bumpy compared to the smooth ride of the TC. I took a road trip in a friend's Silverado and it took me a while to get used to the constant road vibration from the stiff suspension. My TC has no added insulation or paneling so I pick up a lot of noise. I just turn the radio up louder to compensate ;)

P1050472.JPG

Edited by windguy

My last 3 new pickups were all 2-WD and 4 cyl., not the usual choice of most buyers where I live, which is the gas-guzzling 4-WD 6-bangers. The 2-WD don't have the hard ride the 4-wheelers have. None of the pickups have the crisp car-like handling of the TCs. That photo brings back memories of MY years in SoCal back in the sixties, when you could just pull off anywhere, grab a board, and hit the waves. Not a parking meter or fence in sight! What a treat it would have been to have the carrying capacity of the TC.

I keep eyeballing that overhead beam. Could be dandy for hanging an RC airplane!

On 9/15/2016 at 9:09 PM, tcconvert said:

My last 3 new pickups were all 2-WD and 4 cyl., not the usual choice of most buyers where I live, which is the gas-guzzling 4-WD 6-bangers. The 2-WD don't have the hard ride the 4-wheelers have. None of the pickups have the crisp car-like handling of the TCs. That photo brings back memories of MY years in SoCal back in the sixties, when you could just pull off anywhere, grab a board, and hit the waves. Not a parking meter or fence in sight! What a treat it would have been to have the carrying capacity of the TC.

I keep eyeballing that overhead beam. Could be dandy for hanging an RC airplane!

I would have liked to have surfed back in the 60's when the waves were empty, so I've heard.

below is a close-up of the hanging rack, used to store my windsurfing sails and masts up and out of the way. perfect storage solution for me. windsurfing boards and surfboards below for easy access. The TC is the perfect surf mobile for my needs. couldn't be happier with the utility of the van.

hanging rack.JPG

LOL! Yeah, by the seventies locals were getting real testy and hostile, and there was ugly competition for every wave!

Great rack concept! I prefer to keep the entire space unencumbered, but if I wanted that type of capability I might be tempted to copy that. I don't think many people see the fabulous utility potential these things have. They are too turned off by the unfinished commercial nakedness in back (my wife calls mine a hearse, and "half a truck"). But if you don't haul a lot of people around (my wife rides with me maybe twice a year) These things are the perfect hauling beasts. I don't know If I would ever go back to pick-ups.

• 9 months later...
On 8/18/2016 at 10:01 AM, tcconvert said:

I have added interior panels over the ugly window cutouts. 3mm Alupanel was used and the cavity behind the panel is stuffed with 12 oz. of Polyfil for sound deadening and insulation. The plastic layer in the sheeting also serves as a barrier. The process was somewhat involved and required several steps.

Heavy paper patterns were developed first. Next the patterns were transferred to cardboard. Cardboard was cut out and holes were punched, the targets being the three 3/8" threaded holes in the frame. After some further adjustments and a test attach of the template using the actual bolts, the carboard pattern was used to mark out the shape on the Alupanel material. The shape was cut out and the edges filed and sanded smooth.

Getting the panels attached to the van walls requires some force. The material must be forced inwards to allow the 1 1/4" bolts to get started in the threaded holes in the walls. This is due to the slight curvature of the van's side walls. Large rubber washers cushion the panels on both the front and back. Before snugging down all bolts 12 oz. of Polyfil were stuffed between the panel and the wall. A long stick was used to push the Polyfil and adjust it into place. A test fit of the panels without the Polyfil revealed that the material does actually deaden sound.

vanmod1.JPG

vanmod2.JPG

Where did you get the Alupanel from?? This looks like a mod I wanna do