Ford Transit Connect Forum

Got a Rattle that's Driving Me Nuts

zepper

So a pirate walks into a bar an orders a Captain and Coke.

Bar tender says, "Sure buddy and what's with the huge ship's steering wheel mounted on the front of your pants--looks like it hurts!?!?"

Pirate says, "YA HARrrr! It's drivin me nuts!"

Any way in the same fashion I have a rattle and its drivin me nuts. It seems to be behind the vent to the left of the steering wheel. It gets really loud on idle and seems to smooth out at speed. If I hold/adjust the vent nothing happens, it seems to be deeper in the dash. Anybody else have the same one, and better yet, had it fixed??

Thanks.

Oh I didn't event think about the door pocket! I have a screwdriver and some other misc items. I'll try taking them out and seeing if that does it. If not I'll take it to the dealer and let them check under the dash to see if some of the vent ducting has come loose or something it sounds like it is 8" behind the vent on the LH side of the steering wheel but who knows, maybe the sound just comes through the vent best.

And Nranchero I am already walking that tight rope of shitty speaker distortion and road rattles. New speakers would be so cheap and easy, just can't find the time!

Thanks guys.

I have yet to experience this noise. OTOH I don't carry anything in the door pockets, either. I do have an annoying wind whistle/road noise issue coming somewhere from the leading edge of the driver's side door. It's annoying as hell over about 60 mph. But the prospect of bringing the van to the dealer and swapping EVERYTHING out into a rental, only to later pick the van up from Ford with a "sorry we couldn't replicate the issue" answer is more than I can take at the moment. So I live with it and turn up the radio (and yes I did replace the speakers!).

JJ Cobra--you had it right. It was the screw driver in the door pocket! :doh:

And Azdamay, I have that same rattle/wind noise issue at the leading edge. I thought i was the only one since I had the weather stripping repaired, I thought that they might have glued it in just a bit wrong when they fixed the hanging gasket. I did notice that periodically I can close the door "just right" and I don't get that sound. So I think it is curable.

• 5 years later...

I have nothing in the door pockets. I've taken the radio out and the glove box is out and I can't get my hand up and over the airbag to where the rattle is coming from which is to the right of the center console as best as I can figure. Now I don't want to accidentally deploy the airbag and push my head off it's body... and "Driving Me Nuts" is the Sunday school description of my angst... Is there a video of how to remove the dash? 

I have a really annoying rattle coming from the top of my drivers side rear passenger door. It's more of a clicking sound and it's right above and behind my head when driving. I can make it stop if I push outward on the door while moving. Anyone else experience this and have a fix?

• 2 months later...

Rattling sliding door? OH YEAH. See my post about the 2800 mile report. At this point I am convinced no one knows how to fix it and I am regretting ownership. I plan to return to an import next time around. But you might like this:

At the second dealer I tried for a fix (they still have it a week later with no solution), a "suit" from the service department got into the van with me. We careened around the area on 2-lanes and freeways, seeking out rough terrain in order to get the door rattling so the Suit could pinpoint the exact location. He eventually worked his way back to the rear of the slider and declared it was the rear bracket. I had been convinced it was coming from the upper front, right beside my head. I actually adjusted the top front bracket, taking out all the slack. That reduced it slightly, but didn't eliminate it.

When we pulled back onto the lot I got out and opened the slider. Amazingly, the suit had completely dismantled the interior door panels and plastic trim while we drove...without tools. The parts covered the floor. He was sure the problem was in the rear door bracket. I take my hat off to this guy. He knew how to show initiative and gain a new customer. A week later they still haven't been able to fix it, and I don't think they know how.

There have been reports of Ford stock dropping, in part because of door problems and recalls. Hmm.

• 1 year later...

Slightly off topic, but a slightly humorous tale...  The technical term for rattles etc. in the auto industry is NVH  (noise, vibration, harmonics).   When I was a lot younger I worked in an auto assembly plant and we were were having NVH issues with the new model build.  Everybody had an different opinion on what was causing it, so they sent the NVH expert down to figure it out.  The guy was an older gentleman who showed up with a doctor's case like you see in the movies.  I was assigned to work with him and it was a most fascinating experience.  I swear the guy was like a witch doctor.  As we were doing a a test ride around the plant, he went about his "ritual".  First he started with a stethoscope device (like a doctor checks you heart with).  He used it in several locations with a couple of different types of attachments. Then he would reach in his bag and grab different types of pads and blocks.  He would push on a panel here and a panel there with this pad and that block.  After a short trip he proclaimed "Ok were are done here, lets put this up on rack".  So we got back raised the vehicle and he pulls out some sort of vibration making device.  Places it in a few locations while listening  with his stethoscope. He them looks at a couple of engineering drawings and says "Take this fastener out of the door and it should quite it down."  We did and it did.  Turns out there was a tolerance issue on one of the fasteners so if the panel was placed just right, the fastener would allow or cause the door to rattle.  And as you have mentioned, its really hard to know where its coming from and NO one thought is was coming from the door. I'm sure the guy is retired now, but IMHO he was way underpaid.

I guess the moral of the story, finding rattles can be VERY elusive!