Ford Transit Connect Forum

Clunk when accelerating

mijab

Hi all. I finally found the TCW I want and went to test drive it this weekend - 2016, 8 month old Titanium, 17k miles.  I took my brother along because I just look at how 'nice' the features are and he is more practical (and mechanical). ;-) He noticed when test driving it, that there is a "clunk" on acceleration, said it feels like it's either the transmission, differential or front axle joint. Any one experience this?  He doesn't think I should buy it if the dealer can't fix it first, foreseeing problems down the line. :-( Thoughts? 

A couple of questions. what speed? Does it clunk at every shift?    Does it clunk on up shifts or down shifts. One thing I have noticed is a harsh down shift from 6th to 5th if the engine is below 2000 rpm.

Edited by G B L

I have a similar issue: 2015 XLT, 21K miles, 2.5 auto, bought used from a Ford Dealer 3 months ago. "Thunks" when accelerating to pass or when coasting, then accelerating. Still under warranty & haven't had time to take to Dealer yet. I'm a former professional mechanic, it feels to me like a bad motor or trans mount. Also, transmisiison seems to take longer than normal to engage when shifting from fwd to reverse or vice-versa.