Ford Transit Connect Forum

My audio project

I purchased a used 2014 wagon in titanium trim.  The previous owner installed an alarm and who know what else.  The wiring behind the glovebox was a mess.  My stereo was barely audible unless three quarters up?  I wonder if the modifications had anything to do with that.  I will try to document my stereo upgrade as much as I can.  

The plan is to install an amp, component speakers for the front, and a sub.  I will not mess with the head unit or bother with the rear speakers.  I already had a 3 Ch amp and line converter from my other car.  Hence the decision to not do rears.

i would like to give credit to the poster in this thread.  The information was very helpful to me.  

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=156468

i have a few notes after logging many hours so far.

1.  The clips in this vehicle are the most difficult I have dealt with.  I have installed a handful of systems in various cars over the years.  

2.  Do not expect to run new wire through the front door grommet.  It is actually a connector and therefore impossible to do so.

3.  As mentioned in the linked thread, the A pillar trim is one piece.  Don't let the multi color plastic fool you.

4.  Even though the interior is cavernous, I am having a hard time finding places to install everything in a hidden manner.  Others have mentioned putting a sub under the seat.  Not possible in a titanium.  There is no room if you want to keep all the parts intact.

5.  I have had the battery disconnected for quite  some time.  I hope there are not consequences to this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished adding 6.5" component speakers in the front door and A pillar.  I am pleased with the upgrade and can hear the stereo now!  I frequently had the volume at 75% previously.  

I dont have much to add for helpful info.  

1.  I noted that adding wire through the door grommet would be impossible.  I have to retract that by saying one could add the proper pins after researching the part numbers or if really a risk taker, you could drill through the unused section to pass wire.  

2.  To remove the a pillar, strip down the rubber trim that cases it.  start at the top and work down.  There are three clips.

3.  I damaged the paint on the door trying to un pop the clips.  They are really in there.  I find the plastic itself gives or the sheet metal moves on some clips.  Others popped right off.  I hope to never have to remove it again.

Any questions?  Feel free to ask.  My memory sucks so the sooner the better...

• 2 months later...

I'm about to do the same thing with component speakers in the door and pillar. I have the base factory radio with no screen and it looks like there will be room to put the crossovers in the dash behind the fascia where the cd unit is on the upgraded factory systems. Where did you mount your crossovers?

I'm wondering if the speaker wires are there in the pillar if your van didn't come with factory speakers there?  I have an XLT which came with a radio one upgrade from yours  -  Door speakers front and rear but no A pillar speakers.  Please let me know what you find when you take yours apart.  If the wiring isn't there, I think I'll skip installing anything in the pillar

Thanks!

Don

I've already looked and my pillars are empty, no wiring. Plenty of room for the tweeters there though. Running the wires should be pretty easy as long as the crossovers will fit where i'm planning on putting them. I'll post pictures when i do it.

Hi there.  My crossovers are mounted in odd locations behind the dash.  I'd say they are less mounted than just placed in the spaces I could fit them.  It was one of the easier tasks to run a wire from the crossover to the A pillar for the tweeter.  I did not use the factory wiring for the tweets....just for the doors.  I am now regretting not getting an aftermarket deck and avoiding a lot of the splicing I did into the factory wires.  I don't use Sync much at all and could get a Bluetooth steering wheel control for track and volume.  Sorry I can't be more help for crossover location.  I might have suggested buying the A pillar that comes with the upgraded radio but I think you could make a hole easily enough that will look ok.  It will just look more stock to get the Ford parts.  

• 8 months later...

You *can* get wires through the door Molex, but it requires drilling them (CAREFULLY) in the space that no wires occupy. I did mine without any issues as I wanted a larger gauge, direct run for my audio system. The other method would be to remove the door from the hinge, drill a new access hole and install weatherproof fitting/tubing to carry the wire(s) into the door.