Ford Transit Connect Forum

Knock, Knock

I have had my TC for less than a week. Been noticing some short, sharp, very loud knocks coming from the rear whenever I back out of my garage, and as I am rolling slowly over my gravel drive. It will have a typical pattern like - Knock...Knock Knock.........Knock. After I get onto pavement the knocks seem to stop. I thought maybe it was my tires throwing stones up against the chassis, or maybe the spare was not hanging tightly in the well, but it seems tight. Can't find anything loose in either of the rear interior service panels. It also seems that shortly after I start to move there is a single (related?) knock that sounds like a loud version of an auto door locking function that locks doors after reaching a certain speed. This happens as I am backing out slowly. These knocks don't sound isolated underneath. They resonate through the body quite loudly. Anyone experience this one? Thanks.

Can't see how having the vehicle in or out of the garage would make some difference. Well, if I left it OUT of the garage there is a good chance the Pack Rats will have a go at it! strange thing is, if this were stones being thrown up into the frame or body I would expect to have to be going much faster than when I'm backing out of my garage. I do hear a few stones being kicked up when I get rolling out of my 150' gravel drive, but the sounds I'm describing seem to happen when I first move the vehicle, and the knocks are loud and sharp - like the sound you would get from pounding a hammer on a wood block - almost a snapping sound. Hard to relate this to the drive train - since there isn't one!

I have rooted around underneath. Can't find anything. Guess I'll have to explore this in a more purposeful manner. Just thought this might ring a familiar bell for someone who may have experienced the same thing. Thanks

2016 TC XL van 2.5L with second row windows

What I am wondering is does the noise always happen when the van is backed up after sitting awhile Or does it only happen in your drive way.  I think you are correct about  the stones being thrown up, it would take more speed.

I am not trying to help the Pack rats, just trying gain some infomation on an issue that would drive me nuts also.

Keep the info coming on your search.

Edited by G B L

I would tend to agree that the nature of the sound would seem to relate to something like a suspension issue, as it's character is one of a sudden energy release or impact of something substantial. My van did have 130 miles on it when purchased (the last one on the lot, and equipped with the second row windows which I wanted), so I have no idea what it was subjected to before I took it. I will be paying closer attention to it on upcoming excursions.

Really paid attention today when starting up and driving out. I can say with a high level of certainty that the knocking is generated by any rocking motion - side-to-side. The harder the sway, the louder the knocking sound.

Good info.    If it is in the back then the Twist beam rear axle could have some side play or the  shocks could have play at upper or lower attachment points.   An easy thing you can try is. drop the spare tire 2 or three inches  and then raise it and shake the tire as it comes tight.  Out of an abundance of caution you might just check the Lug nuts for tightness.

Looking forward to more information on the hunt.

Edited by G B L

103west43rd you are 100 percent correct. The sales person  tcconvert bought the Van from should be able to get the Service department to look at  the issue  instantly .

For the rest of us it  is like the weekly crossword puzzle. 

I do have an appointment Tues., but as mentioned, it may entail leaving the vehicle, a real hassle for me. When I drove in I expected the temporary registration stuck to the back window to give me a some priority. I hadn't even had it a week. Instead, I just had to get into the Que with everyone else! My wife's BMW dealer gives her a loaner (often brand new!) whenever she has to leave her car for any repair. They even allow her to take new vehicles home overnight when deciding which new one to buy.! This was a wake-up call. To make matters worse, the salesman I worked with saw me as I was driving out and asked how everything was going. I mentioned the problem and he responded that he would be back in a minute. I parked the van and went inside the showroom and waited for about 15 minutes, thinking he might help expedite the process for me. He never returned.

This just emphasizes that the most important thing for these dealers is to get the vehicle sold. Good luck after that. As I mentioned in another thread, this is the first vehicle I have owned that precludes me from doing many routine maintenance procedures that have been my habit for over fifty years, such as an oil change. Now, after the generally awful experience of actually purchasing the vehicle, I have to submit myself to their service department at regular intervals. I suppose technological advances offset that somewhat, but the fact is that owning a new vehicle these days leaves one increasingly at the mercy of those who are (hopefully) qualified to diagnose and care for them.

I love my new van, but having to rely on the people who sold it to me leaves me feeling "Naked and Afraid."

Addendum:

I have not heard the high-energy sounding knocks for the last couple excursions. I would describe what I am hearing now as some component that seems as if it might be dangling or swaying and striking something with vehicle movement and when I hit bigger bumps or holes. As I drove into my garage today I would even go so far as to say it sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side corner. What could be in the fuel filler area that could cause that kind of noise?

Good dealers know that good service and good customer skills ultimately mean more sales. Unfortunately  dealership quality is very variable and it appears  that  yours is  the poster for why people hate dealers.  Good dealers would have a really knowledgeable  service writer who  could  expedite the whole process. I have the feeling that this noise should be easily identified by a good tech and a trip up on the lift. 

A set of ramps would give great access  for the  under car maintenance on the TC. The under car panel is very easy to remove and replace. Once the panel is off all of the service items, oil plug , oil filter transmission drain and starter are very easy to access. The access for all the general maintenance items on this vehicle are good.  

Waiting for the next installment

tcconvert, I am always upset when the service department in a dealership is poorly managed (G B L is correct). Every service department has "Waiters". When you call, the appointment should be made as a "waiter". The next step is to have the service technician that is assigned, to go take a ride with you to hear the noise. The tech then goes to work on your van. A quick inspection on the lift will show if anything is loose. If nothing is found, the tech then goes online and checks the Ford database of issues to see if there is one that matches yours. If nothing is found, the tech can call Ford Technical Support and speak to a manufacture service tech. If your Ford dealership does not operate as above, go to another. You paid for the van and deserve the correct assistance as per your warranty. Remember the problem you are having when you get the email asking for a review of your service visit. Good luck on Tuesday.

Finally - A conclusion. And an embarrassing one at that.

I went to my service appointment. Got my first glimpse of how overwhelmed they are. Parking area so full it was difficult to move around in it. I announced my intention to be a "waiter," knowing if I had to leave it I would have to arrange for a rental car. They sent a young man over. He piled into the rear and braced himself on the floor, and we took a brief jaunt so he could listen to the noises.

As we ran around the empty, early morning parking lot of the local mall, the rattling noises did their thing. Suddenly he said, "I've got it!" What he "got" was the item pictured here. When doing the cleanup and changeover of the stuff retrieved from my former pickup,in my garage, I came across the small thermometer which had been in my glove box. I was going to toss it aside when the thought occurred to me that I could use it to demonstrate just how hot it would get in the barren cargo compartment if left out under the Sun. I used the key ring to hang it from one of the many frame holes under the roof.

Early on, I had been able to eliminate one of the noises when I realized that as the van began to move, the auto-locking procedure was snapping the barn door locks closed. I would have expected this to occur at 25 mph, not at 3-4 mph. It also illustrated how loudly this barren framework would telegraph any and all sounds - though I didn't think much of it at the time. The remaining clanking took place anytime the van hit a fair-sized bump or depression, or whenever it was rocked side-to-side with any force. And the sounds were very loud.

So what was causing the noise? Well.....besides my stupidity? This darned little dangling thermometer was bouncing around in that frame hole and snapping against the metal! I had unthinkingly hung the thing over on the driver's side. If I had hung it in line with the passenger side, I would likely have seen it bouncing around in the rear-view mirror. As it was, It was invisible to me, and I had completely forgotten it was there! I'm sure this experience was fodder for a good story or two around the dealership after my departure!

What does this say, besides the fact I may be missing a few nuts and bolts myself? It handily demonstrates just how much noise this barren frame transmits throughout the vehicle, and may give you more incentive to apply some degree of insulation.

BTW. This experience with the Ford dealership shockingly illustrated that Ford buyers garner a very different level of treatment than do the buyers at the BMW dealership, where my wife shops.

dangler.JPG

I learned some time ago that starting something like a blog begets a major responsibility and obligation. Like a successful web site, it must be constantly attended to and updated. I have found that contributions to appropriate message boards related to one's activities is far easier and less time consuming. There will usually be a core group of experienced users who contribute the most, and become relied upon for "expert" opinions. If this trend persists for long enough, a board can become a very useful resource. It will start to attract others and gain a reputation.

This board has obviously not achieved that kind of status. It is a typical repository for quick and desperate one-time queries by people looking for an answer to something they can't solve. If they find it, they may never return. I always feel a bit of an obligation to return the favor by at least tying up loose ends, and helping others if possible. My story here was just that - besides a cry for help, it was a story. I sensed that others wanted to know how it ended. I could have just disappeared, but I thought others deserved to know how this story ended - even if I became the brunt of my own folly.

As an "old guy" with a decent education, and what I perceive as being an ability to present information in a legible and sometimes entertaining format, I sometimes get involved in the challenge of creating little stories within posts, that offer something a bit less dry than most. I may be misguided.

Glad to see all has worked out, The issue was handled by an open minded tech looking for the answer.  There was no folly, sometimes what is needed is a fresh look by someone who is just trying to solve the issue.

Nice that you have joined in  stay connected