Ford Transit Connect Forum

Different Cargo Dimensions?

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a used Ford Transit Connect and am having an embarrassing amount of time figuring out the different roof heights and wheel base options.
It looks like 2014 - forward has SWB and LWB and no roof options.
2010 - 2013 has ????
I am looking into converting the cargo space into a mini camper for the weekend but need to be solid on the dimensions first. Does anyone have any idea on this stuff? I've found it surprisingly hard to find on Ford's website.
Thanks!

Hello BenFirst. Here are the Ford Body Builder URL's for the 2010-1013 and 2014-2016 Transit Connects. They will have all the dimensions you should need to know. The 2010-2013 Transit Connects came with one wheelbase and only with the high roof. When Ford changed to the mini-van look they dropped the high roof. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2010/2010_Transit_Connect.pdf, https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2014/2014_Transit_Connect_v1-0.pdf

Edited by 103west43rd

In the US Ford only introduced the long wheelbase/high roof model. It was also available short/low in Europe. No other length/height combos.

My main question is: does the MK1 have a SWB and LWB like the MK2 does? Or is it just the long wheel base option.

Hi Benfirst,

I have been working on my 2012 camper conversion for a few weeks now and I can say that if you want too sit inside, the roof is just okay, so

a latter model is probably a bit tight for that usage.

Hi Benfirst,

I have been working on my 2012 camper conversion for a few weeks now and I can say that if you want too sit inside, the roof is just okay, so

a latter model is probably a bit tight for that usage.

okay thanks! Originally I was looking at the 2014, but after looking at a 2010 I agree at 6 foot tall I figure I can have a 12'' bed and have just enough to not be hitting my head to often.

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2016 at 5:55 PM, 103west43rd said:

Hello BenFirst. Here are the Ford Body Builder URL's for the 2010-1013 and 2014-2016 Transit Connects. They will have all the dimensions you should need to know. The 2010-2013 Transit Connects came with one wheelbase and only with the high roof. When Ford changed to the mini-van look they dropped the high roof. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2010/2010_Transit_Connect.pdf, https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2014/2014_Transit_Connect_v1-0.pdf

Thank you for these reference pages.  I've been looking all over a resource like these!  Even Ford struggled to point me to a place where they could be found.  Thank you!  ~Minimalist

Let's create a resource that will respond to searches about BenFirst's original question.

The Ford Truck Body Builder Advisory Service URL includes a wealth of information on each of the commercial vehicles, by model year.  You can find the Body Builders Layout Book (referenced just above by 103west43rd, as well as Model Year differences (helpful!) under Publications > What's New, and many other resource documents.

<https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/>

Specifications, measurements, dimensions, Manuals, Warranty, applications, towing, Incomplete Vehicle Manual, and Bulletins.

~Minimalist

• 8 months later...

** Not seeing anything for the older TCs at the links provided.

I had the roof bumped up on a 2011 with good results.The new top adds about a foot, and height was around 54" without. 

topper-done-05.jpg

Few other mods so far on what's still a work in progress.  I was gonna get fancy with steps and such (notice the step bumper on the rear doors, but decided to go with a portable for the side door. Not much weight, 350 pound capacity, sturdy with no wobble, and just pick it up and toss it inside when not in use. 

side-steps2.jpg

The two stepper is perfect for splitting the height up to the cargo floor. I'll be adding a couple grips once I get the "kitchen" and storage unit installed. 

Six foot tall, so I still have to hunch over a bit, but I can actually walk into the thing now.  Mine came with a two piece cargo wall, so I just removed the section behind the drivers seat so I'll be able to fold that forward for a bit more sleeping room. Left the passenger side cargo wall in place as it's handy for the already mounted inverter and such. Total length from the rear doors to the back of the drivers seat set all the way back is around 70 inches. Width is four feet between the wheel wells, and about 57" wall to wall. 

Yes, you DO need to get creative when setting it up, but there's a lot of different options, and lots of ideas from other folk who've converted them over the years. My plan is to just use it for a weekend solo camper, so it should work fine, and I figure it'd be good for a couple if you're extremely friendly. 

Edited by sKiZo

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2018 at 2:51 PM, sKiZo said:

** Not seeing anything for the older TCs at the links provided.

I had the roof bumped up on a 2011 with good results.The new top adds about a foot, and height was around 54" without. 

topper-done-05.jpg

Few other mods so far on what's still a work in progress.  I was gonna get fancy with steps and such (notice the step bumper on the rear doors, but decided to go with a portable for the side door. Not much weight, 350 pound capacity, sturdy with no wobble, and just pick it up and toss it inside when not in use. 

side-steps2.jpg

The two stepper is perfect for splitting the height up to the cargo floor. I'll be adding a couple grips once I get the "kitchen" and storage unit installed. 

Six foot tall, so I still have to hunch over a bit, but I can actually walk into the thing now.  Mine came with a two piece cargo wall, so I just removed the section behind the drivers seat so I'll be able to fold that forward for a bit more sleeping room. Left the passenger side cargo wall in place as it's handy for the already mounted inverter and such. Total length from the rear doors to the back of the drivers seat set all the way back is around 70 inches. Width is four feet between the wheel wells, and about 57" wall to wall. 

Yes, you DO need to get creative when setting it up, but there's a lot of different options, and lots of ideas from other folk who've converted them over the years. My plan is to just use it for a weekend solo camper, so it should work fine, and I figure it'd be good for a couple if you're extremely friendly. 

The roof bump looks really good. Do you have any photos from the front and inside?

I do believe it looks better than the standard super tall, and I'm happy with it. The mods kinda sorta stalled as I ended up back in hospital for a while.

Here's the inside just after the install. Most any "pro" I talked to hemmed and hawwed about liability cutting the hole, but there's only one structural support that got cut, and the topper is built tough, so I'm not worried. The guy who did the work said it's probably stronger than stock anyway. Plan is to add recessed light, a couple rear speakers, and some net storage in the space between old and new roofs.

camper-mods-04.jpg

... and here's one from the front ...

topper-done-01.jpg

... and as it sits today. No progress on the interior, but I got all the stuff, so high hopes there. It's still a fun ride.

winnibago-exterior.jpg

Edited by sKiZo

• 5 months later...