Ford Transit Connect Forum

Better Battery

I have a 2014 xlt wagon. I use a lot of small electronics, and even an electronic cooler while the vehicle is off. As a result, my battery has died on more than one occasion. Are there any options, such as deep cycle batteries that could provide a substantial amount more power?

if so, how much better would it be? would it be worth the money?

My cousin is into stereos (A real bass head) and he told me the Sears Diehard Marine Platinum batteries are very good for running accessories off it.... Not sure if those will fit in the TC battery box through... Odyssey batteries I've heard are good too...

Die Hard Platinum are made by Odyssey, great battery if they will fit. Say away from the Optima stuff, they are very low quality now.

Edited by thx138

The battery compartment on the Gen 2 TC is small The battery is sized and configured for the application .. Most batteries have three numbers that tell the story, cranking amps, This is the cranking power at 32 degrees f, CCA or Cold Cranking Amps, Cranking power at 0 degrees F, and Reserve Capacity, This is the long time draw down capacity of the battery. The third number is the one that tells you how long it will run the electronic cooler. When looking for a replacement battery the larger the reserve capacity the longer it will run accessories.

Agm or Absorbed Glass Mat batteries Have more reserve Capacity , cannot spill and are generally higher quality. They come with a premium price. the charging system voltage is more critical to these batteries.

Deep discharging of a standard Automotive battery will shorten the battery life. A deep cycle battery will hold up much better. When switching to a Deep Cycle type battery up the CCA rating at least 20% to make sure to have enough cranking power.

• 2 weeks later...

You can configure your alternator to charge your car battery and house battery at the same time, I wrote a long post on how to do it somewhere on this forum about a year ago. Or go to "Battery1234" for instruction on how to do it.

I've also purchased a POD (power on demand) to jump start my vehicle in case of a dead battery. I haven't had to use it on my car but I have on a car at the local Wal-Mart and it started right up. I wouldn't travel without it