Ford Transit Connect Forum

Radio keeps playing

So this has happened to me twice, I part turn off the car get out and go do what ever and when I come back to the van the radio is still playing when I get in. First time it was about 2 hours second time about 30 mins. Anyone else have this issue? I have a 2015 with sync and XM. Also I can turn on the radio when the car is shut off and the key is out, this is possible with the doors locked or unlocked.

Based on how my radio operates it sounds like your vehicle is not sensing that you have opened the door. My radio keeps playing until the door is opened. If your radio keeps going, it seems as though the system still thinks the door is shut. I took a quick look in my wiring diagram book and didn't see a direct input from the doors to the audio system. So it's probably getting the signal via one of the numerous module communication signals. Maybe a sticky switch or a poor connection somewhere along the line if the problem is intermittent.

I did find a reference to the door position switch in the door lock section of the wiring manual. There's a couple different drawings for various options and I don't understand all the abbreviations used so there's now way of knowing if this drawing matches your vehicle, or mine for that matter. But it is probably representative of where the door open/close trigger is coming from.

One troubleshooting technique you can try is if the radio doesn't go off when you open the door, try cycling the latch a couple times using a screwdriver. If that turns the radio off sometimes but not others, the switch likely has an intermittent fault. If the door itself has to be slammed shut multiple times before it shuts off, it's likely a loose or faulty connector that has to be moved a bit by the slam before it works.

UPDATE: After rereading your post, I noticed the mention of the radio being able to operate at all times. This suggests a continuous issue, not intermittent. That'll be harder to check since you'll need to get inside the door to do some measurements. Disconnect that C525 connector going to the door latch with the door open and check continuity between pins 4 and 6 (on the switch side of the connector). Since the contact should be open with the door open, if you have continuity with the door open then the switch is bad. If that's not the source, the most likely cause is a short in the wiring or a bad Driver Door Module. Of course, with the way these new cars use networking to send signals between the different modules, it could also be a problem with any other module along the way to your radio. But if the only issue you are having is with the radio shutoff, the door switch and module are the most likely culprits.

But this only makes sense if my guesswork about how the system works is correct. And that's just based on watching how my radio operates daily. I'm not a car guy and just have general troubleshooting experience from other tech work.

Here's some photos to help.

post-5019-0-02761100-1464138133_thumb.jp

post-5019-0-09764300-1464138141_thumb.jp

post-5019-0-26700700-1464138149_thumb.jp

Edited by DonShockley

Thanks, that sounds like a possible cause. I will have to keep an eye on it. The other question for anyone who can test it, if you push the power button on the radio with the key out and van not running what happens? Mine turns on.

I just ran out and tried it on mine. Never done it before. Surprise, it turned on. So an intermittent fault is still a possibility.

That's why the old stuff was so much easier to troubleshoot, things did or did not operate based on wire connections and components that were easy to check. Now it's all about the programming, which is never fully documented for the layman that's actually trying to use the things.

I know the older 2004 style Ford Econoline's radio would also stay on after the ignition turned off but I believe it would only last about 10mins then shut itself off.... Not sure what could cause your issue though...

I'm no expert but I just observe and share my past experiences...

• 4 weeks later...

Mine operates a bit differently - 2015 TC XL LWB van. When I turn-off the key completely, the radio shuts off right away - it doesn't give "retained accessory power" like I'm used to with newer vehicles. But, and this is a feature I actually like, I can turn the radio back on without the key, just like some of you talk about. Mine will stay on for around an hour, maybe 90 minutes (never actually timed it) unless I turn it off manually. This lets me work outside around the van with the radio playing and I don't have to hear bing-bing-bing from the door being open, lol.

The radio Can be turned on for a short period of time after the key has been turned off, it will play for about 1 hour.

I do not remember where but it is explained in the Manual . I have the standard radio.

• 5 years later...

I had the same issue on my wife's 2016 TC.  I determined the radio cutoff switch in the latch/lock module was faulty and replaced it.  I did make a video, might be useful to you guys.  It must plague many newer Fords because it's my most popular video...

Link:

• 1 year later...

Ok, my radio would keep playing and the interior dome light would not come on also. Talking drivers side door.  However radio would turn off with passenger side and light was working too. So I sprayed a product called "Superzilla"   super lubricant downward into the door latch on the door and it fixed both issues! This tells me that there was a sticky relay or solonoid in there. I'm sure WD40 or any spray lube would work but the one I used is a fantastic product highly recommend Superzilla, google it!