Ford Transit Connect Forum

1.6 Ecoboost van, 90% ready to pull the trigger

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Nope. Wasn't the injector fault. Next stop: high pressure pump.

Had the transmission flushed today at 84Mm. They said the fluid was pretty much baked. So if you do a lot of city driving and trailer towing, 50K miles is too long.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:56 AM, mrtn said:

They said the fluid was pretty much baked.

Welcome to the 25000 club, mine was half baked at 25000. I am going to get to the fourth flush before Christmas and will see how the Triax fluid has held up.

I'm waiting to see how your Triax fluid holds up also.  Are you planning to send in a sample for used oil analysis?

My brother in law's Acura transmission went out.  A lot of people are aware that with Honda Acura, the transmissions are okay with the 4 cylinder engines, but not quite so strong with the extra power of a 6 cylinder engine.  I asked him about the transmission fluid.  He never serviced it.   Which is like most people who are sold a car with a lifetime transmission fluid.  

Edited by Fifty150

• 4 weeks later...

Had the high pressure pump replaced today. Did start up better than before. Yet to make some more tests, too early to say.

Totally different topic: I did door sound insulation months ago and managed to break a clip that holds the door handle/latch cable in place. I couldn’t figure out how to fix it at first so I just left it as is. The problem weas than whenever you let the handle go with a bang the cable did not return as fast and the T-shaped end popped out of its place rendering the handle useless until I removed the door card and reattached. Today a service guy let it all happen and I had had enough. So I laser cut two pieces of plastic sheet with a curve that followed the cable trajectory holding it steady, not allowing it to pop out of the handle hook.

32300C95-CB49-4991-8177-47EAC80E08E4.gif.6791ce51995402dc4e97f363ea465d36.gif

3CFE375E-F723-4941-9845-F338561D074D.jpeg.c732ac8ec0c72040ae6c311ff3caaa69.jpeg

F55299F9-6C57-4D99-A0E9-48EE3DB5171F.jpeg.8c39f1f0cdbc226a82d423531ee2daf2.jpeg

752BEE4F-56FA-44B9-A079-405C4E744F26.gif.b919bf3582043382e5352ae0686770eb.gif

Edited by mrtn

• 2 weeks later...

The high pressure pump seems to be a weak link in the 1.6 Ecoboost based on what I've read in various pages when researching the issue.

Anyway, started a minor audio upgrade just for the fun of it. Had a pair of leftover tweeters from my late Taurus. The A-pillar panel's tweeter holes needed to be enlarged by 3 mm to fit the Taurus tweeters. I also have a pair of very old crossovers (20 years old if not more) I'll utilize here.

IMG_20190928_203017.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They’re better than stock halogens but require a bit of aiming. The H7 socket is not fixed by anything else than just the ring, clicked in place. Now the projectors are aimed too low in their normal position so I did some bending of metal to aim them right. First I just turned the aiming screw to level them right but the high beam was too high then.

So yeah, not really plug’n’play. I might probably go with big HID projectors that require cutting and automatic leveling mechanism for the rear axle + headlight washers. But thet will either happen when I find a cheap pair of extra headlights or when I don’t need a van for a while to take it off the road.

• 2 months later...

Van needs substantial brake work. Rear discs seem to be really coarse and rusty like having been stuck.  So I did a sportier driving session and the rust was gone, obviously not stuck. Both front and rear need new pads and new discs in the rear. Going for Brembo or Bosch, well worth a few extra Euros.

Z

IMG_20200322_161558.jpg

Edited by mrtn