Ford Transit Connect Forum

1.6 Ecoboost van, 90% ready to pull the trigger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love winter driving but it was snowing so hard and wind changing direction twice per second that I could not spot the road reflector poles before a few feet away hoping I'd hit the next ones in the middle as well. Kept an eye on the navigation screen as well to anticipate a bend.

• 1 year later...

An update:

Had injectors replaced by the LPG shop under warranty, there was one leaking. Also the LPG system threw errors and turned off by itself so a power board on the tank was replaced, water had gotten in somehow and corroded contacts, losing power.

Today the car was in 60K (km) service at 48K (I do oil changes before the maintenance minder starts yelling). Oil change, brake fluid change. They discovered a small weep at the axle seal which will be replaced under warranty. I wonder if they need to change the transmission fluid as well. Also there was a cooling system recall to be performed. Risk of fire.

Also: I had noticed some variance in fuel gauge reading after filling up so I asked them to check it. Apparently the tank sensor is faulty.

Other than that: Transit Custom is yuck.

Ah yes the transmission weep. I have been watching mine for 65000mi, a few oz between oil changes . It is very very consistent .  They will drain the Trans to do the seal so that would be a good time to do a flush.  The Cooling system Recall will install a coolant level sensor and software to make sure the engine does not overheat and crack the Cyl Head making a fire risk.  A low coolant level sensor would be good for every Vehicle  on the road . 

The Lpg tank is where  the Spare tire use to be right?  That would be in a place where water and road salt could get to, Corrosion would be a real possibility.  

The LPG is still a good thing?

Yes, it’s the same shape as the spare tire and you are correct, this is the worst place to have any electronics located.

I would not install LPG if I had to do it again on this particular vehicle as the fuel saving is not that noticeable. Perhaps 30% on the highway and 40% in the city.

Good to know they’ll replace the trans fluid. About time.

• 1 year later...

Mid-life update:

LPG needs service again. There was some corrosion on a tank pump connector and power issues in the system. Turns out that the LPG tank and its control box is not actually meant to be outside of the body in the middle of mud and dirt. Also - injectors leaking again resulting in long cranking and occasional "fuel rail low pressure" when starting on LPG, need to have them cleaned. No issues on petrol.

Summer tires are bald, hit the wear marks and hydroplaned a bit on Tuesday seeing the first serious rainfall while driving this year. Just ordered a new set of Michelin Cross Climates:

mi_crossclimate_plus_pdpcrop.jpg

\When you add snow and Ice and Mud to the mix it changes the engineering requirements.  How many miles? The propane being under pressure would  definitely point out any leaks in the system. What gets serviced in the injectors?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Those look like good tires, Let us know how they ride and hold up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

I have 81Mm (50K miles) on the odo. So 30K on the OEM Continentals. My tire guy said these Michelins have a ridiculous treadwear warranty and are very quiet, especially for snow rated ones.

The injectors need cleaning. The DI engines don't have a LPG fuel filter so they tend to clog a bit causing a leak due to the injector not closing completely. The leak is big enough for propane to seep through but tight enough for gasoline to maintain pressure. You can't smell anything tho as the leak is isolated to fuel rail only and it happens in the first couple of seconds after turning the engine off. The fuel rail pressure drops from 55-60 bar (800-870 psi) to 12 bar (175 psi) in just a second and stays there.

After a flat battery again yesterday I bought a new 72Ah one today. Took me an hour and a half to replace it. It's really tight and inconvenient.

The old battery was 1830 days old. We'll see if it'll be any better with the new one or do I need to replace something else.