Ford Transit Connect Forum

Them dang rear locking doors!

Here's what I do.... I pull up to a job, get out of my TC, open up the side slider to get my tool belt. Then I go to the rear doors to get my tool box.....

DANG IT!!! They're locked still! I have to hit the stupid "rear unlock" button on the fob to unlock the rear doors!

Can the rear doors be programmed, or re-wired to unlock "with" the side sliders?

I know I can hit the "unlock" button on the fob twice, or hit that "rear unlcok" button, but I just want all the cargo doors to unlock together.

Can this be done?

Edited by Scratch

I had forgotten you can do this, I will be doing it myself later today (I HATE the separately-unlocking rear doors). I attached the instructions.

BTW am I the only one whose TC remotes seem to have a mind of their own? This thing locks and unlocks when it feels like it. I have to be standing really close, and often if I am standing at the rear of the van, it doesn't work at all, and I have to literally just put my arm around to the side of the van, and then it works!? Worst implementation of remote keyless entry I have ever used.

post-748-043777700 1295110684_thumb.gif

Edited by azdamay

Azdamay, I think I've seen you post about limited range of the remote, before. While I'm not very impressed with the range, either (as compared to my BMW), I can still activate mine from about 30 to 40 feet away. I'm wondering if perhaps the antenna on the unit in your van might have a problem? Have you brought this up with your dealer?

Edited by breknraj

Range according to the manual is approx. 33 feet depending on variables. I can activate the locks fine if I am at a 90 degree angle to the side of the van, even from a reasonable distance. But most of the time I am approaching the van from the rear (to put my tool bag away in the back) and the dang thing will not unlock... sometimes when I am literally standing RIGHT THERE! I can try again and again, and nothing happens, I put my arm around the side of the van and try it again... click, doors unlock. Maybe it has something to do with the glass delete?

So yeah, maybe I better take it up with the dealer, but I doubt they'll be much help. My GTO isn't much better so I'm sort of used to it. Strangely my old Focus had GREAT range, what happened Ford??

Oh and I changed the locks to unlock all at once... very easy and so worth it, Scratch did you do it?

Edited by azdamay

Electronic Technician by trade

I tried my remote in back of my TC from 35 to 40 feet away-works no problem at all

RF will go through the plastic dash and glass with no problem at all. If you have all metal rear doors then RF cannot get through that.

A metal partition or perhaps the back filled with bins and shelving will pose a real problem too

Electronic Technician by trade

I tried my remote in back of my TC from 35 to 40 feet away-works no problem at all

RF will go through the plastic dash and glass with no problem at all. If you have all metal rear doors then RF cannot get through that.

A metal partition or perhaps the back filled with bins and shelving will pose a real problem too

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of, that I'm basically hitting it from the wrong angle or maybe even standing too close, to get the signal through the windows. I kind of doubt that there would be any issue with the antenna or the keys but it's worth bringing up with the dealer at the next oil change.

I had forgotten you can do this, I will be doing it myself later today (I HATE the separately-unlocking rear doors). I attached the instructions.

BTW am I the only one whose TC remotes seem to have a mind of their own? This thing locks and unlocks when it feels like it. I have to be standing really close, and often if I am standing at the rear of the van, it doesn't work at all, and I have to literally just put my arm around to the side of the van, and then it works!? Worst implementation of remote keyless entry I have ever used.

Thank you for including the instructions!!! I just walked to my office window and reprogrammed it without having to go out in the snow and look for a manual!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has to go through gyrations to remotely unlock the doors! Hope my 2011 can be programmed to open all doors too. The back ones get me daily!

Mine has no glass and has a bulkhead along with shelves.

Edited by hlbullis

• 10 months later...
  • 6 years later...

azdamay >>> i tried the link you posted, but it seems to not work any more.

Thanks for the info on how to change the lock modes. I'm a happy camper now..

i do wish there was a lock / unlock button in the van.. when i go to pick up a friend. the doors are locked, and i have to reach over to unlock the passenger door.

is there a door lock / unlock button in the van ? if there is, i haven't seen it yet.  i only had it less than 2 months so far, and i really like this van.

(2013 Transit Connect XLT - fully loaded )

• 4 months later...

Bout the lock button in the van.. I later learned that all i had to do was unlock the door on my side.. I didn't realize it was right by the handle, and it's a lever not a button..

As for the rear doors, the yellow lever is only a unlock button, you can't manually lock it.. as soon as i push it down it pops right back up a second later. even if the door is closed.