Ford Transit Connect Forum

Removed the Floor Extension Today

What you did buckethead has me rethinking how I'd modify my TC into a mini camper, (i prefer to call it a multipurpose vehicle-- MPV)

What's the dimensions of the area that you opened up? Could two regular car batteries fit in there? It would be nice to move my house batteries there, even if I had to mount one on each side of that hump-if there's enough room

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Toastervan. I have checked out the progress, lots or possibilities. I pulled back the rubber matt and can see the torx bolts and how much space is there and like everyone else, I want that space! There is a metal fabrication shop close by so when I remove all this framework I will take it to them and see about making some aluminum boxes. Something that will finish flat with the deck to serve as the floor when closed. I didn't see anywhere how to remove that plastic step, just been lazy, but I will figure it out. You guys have made great progress and have some nice ideas. I really like the Idea of making the plastic step part of a concealed pull-out drawer. I will share what the metal shop has to say.

Will do. It's Byers Precision Fabricators in Hendersonville. The Ford mechanic recommended them. One of the engineers suggested taking the time to shape a foamboard mold of the opening for a 3D template. Not so sure about that Idea but once I get this floor area exposed I'm just going there and let them do what it takes, expense considered...but not priority. And BTW, how hard would it have been for Ford to have just made a drop down panel for us in the beginning? Oh well, guess they were too busy deciding on which "sticky stuff" to put on our floor matt! Lol

Thats a perfect solution, why Toyota and not Ford? If I thought that anyone at Ford would care I would send that pic to them and ask why couldn't you make a 15 dollar plastic box for us too! Thats exactly what I need only maybe a metal lid? Nice find Toaster and that is what I'm going for with the aluminum box. I'm with you on just removing the hardware and just find a box. Looked in Lowes, Home Depot and found boxes real close but no keepers. Went to camping world, nothing. Checked West Marine online and Grainger supply with a couple possibilities but nothing just right. Would love to find a "drop in" solution. Will entertain the "hinged lid" to cover the entire opening Idea first before going to the design and fabrication.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 8:29 AM, gargman said:

Thats a perfect solution, why Toyota and not Ford? If I thought that anyone at Ford would care I would send that pic to them and ask why couldn't you make a 15 dollar plastic box for us too! Thats exactly what I need only maybe a metal lid? Nice find Toaster and that is what I'm going for with the aluminum box. I'm with you on just removing the hardware and just find a box. Looked in Lowes, Home Depot and found boxes real close but no keepers. Went to camping world, nothing. Checked West Marine online and Grainger supply with a couple possibilities but nothing just right. Would love to find a "drop in" solution. Will entertain the "hinged lid" to cover the entire opening Idea first before going to the design and fabrication.

In regards to the wasted space behind the seats, my van has vinyl flooring and I gained another 4-5" of space by removing the vinyl floor in that well, just FYI. Since there aren't any drop-in storage options, I'm thinking about trying to find a cheap aluminum diamond-plate tool chest that's 48-49" wide (see pic below), then cut the bottom out to fit the contour of the TC floor (thus why I want a cheap used one instead of brand new expensive one!) If I do this, I plan to have the chest raise above the original floor level, so the opening handle won't be a problem for me. But, people wanting to keep a flat floor would probably have to do too much work to make this solution viable for them...

As for the questions about the plastic steps, they have like those "Christmas-tree" type fasteners holding them in, I just used a small crowbar to pop each one out since I don't have the specialized plastic panel removal tools. It's pretty easy to pop the steps out though, I used the crowbar to get the right leverage so I wouldn't break anything by just yanking them out with my hands... It took a couple minutes to do because I was taking my time & being careful.

220000.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2016 at 6:34 PM, windguy said:

@buckethead - thanks for posting pics of your mods.

Are you using the open area behind the seats for storage?

It appears like you have that covered up in your last pic.

any new mods to share since July?

Just some junk under there now but I'm planning on batteries on the passenger side. The space is accsesable from the drivers side slider, or if the passenger slider door skid plate is removed.