Ford Transit Connect Forum

Determine if you have a Transponder Key or not??

Went to the dealer to get another key for my 2012 Transit Connect - Passenger / Taxi edition.

The parts department thinks I don't need a transponder, but was not sure. They said if I bought the non-transponder key and it wouldn't start the car I was stuck with it since it was cut. The top of the key has a oval/square type cutout. Is that the transponder? The only key I have is all black. I have no Fobs either.

Do the keys with the transponder and without look very similar if not identical?

Thanks for your help.

Damon

post-5639-0-66217000-1459806379_thumb.jp

Hello Damon1974. If by "transponder" you mean remote locking there is no key fob, the key has buttons. The key picture you posted is just the normal key. I think the first thing you should do is find anther Ford dealer. As Ccrew wrote, the dealer can tell what you need by just looking at the key.

I had the dealer order the key today based on the VIN number. I agree with you that the key looks like a normal key. Some keys for vehicles have a chip in them so start the ignition. I don't think this key has this. I will let you know if the new key doesn't start the truck. Here is to hoping!

• 3 months later...

Hello Damon, I bought a van like yours but mine is white out and yellow in and is a CNG I did not know was a compressed natural gas, I bought someone and has one key only, and I wanted another key but the cost is $65 for the key and $100 for programming in a dealer, does your van use gasoline?

• 2 months later...

Erring on the side of caution, I would think that all modern vehicles have transponder keys.  Even on my 10 year old F-150, the key looks like a normal key, but has a transponder.  

For the truck, I got an extra key made at the hardware store.  It was only a few dollars for a regular key blank.  It unlocked the tailgate and cab, plus turned in the ignition.  However, the truck did not start.  I was able to get a working transponder key at Wally World for less than what the dealership charged.  I was hesitant and had doubts that a Wal*Mart clerk could cut a key for less than $50, when the dealership charges upwards of $200.  The Wally World clerk stated that the key was guaranteed to work; if I went outside and couldn't start my car, they would issue an immediate refund.  No troubles.  It worked.  

As it turns out, not every car dealership has equipment to cut keys, make transponder keys, or even have a qualified locksmith on staff to address such issues.  As with some tech work, body work, and upfitting; they outsource.  In my local area, I've seen the same locksmith van at a bunch of different dealerships, both domestic and import. Lock World.  Check with your local locksmith for pricing and availability.  

Now, even Home Depot offers the keys.  I got my key about 10 years ago.  Pricing may be different in today's market.  But options are out there.  

188be584-d29f-423f-a3bf-44ae017c9d4c_100

• 2 years later...

The blank transponder keys (Gen 2) are easy to find on the internet for about $100. If you have both original keys you can easily program the vehicle to accept the new key(instructions in the owners manual). But I found out the hard way that getting the key cut to match the lock takes a special machine and my local locksmith charged $50. Probably cheaper than the dealer but $150 for a spare key sucks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/10/2020 at 6:27 AM, JamesCharlie said:

difficult work is to find a locksmith who can cut and program it at cheap

At cheap?  I don't know.  But if all else fails, use one of those machines that are in 7Eleven and grocery stores.  No.  The machine won't be able to do it right then and there.  But the company will refer the locksmith, who can do that work.

1403452693_Screenshot2021-01-16at12_25_02.thumb.png.92bb5fcc368b65c28e65ee2d7d0e05c6.png

6 hours ago, JustinWinslow said:

whether it's a  transponder key or not

I think that every modern auto has some sort of electronics in the keys.  I have a 2007 pick up truck, and even that key had to be programmed.  I don't think any modern cars are sold with basic keys without some sort of electronic pairing to the vehicle.  Not like the old days where cars actually had "master keys".  When I was a kid, Hondas & Toyotas were easily stolen if you got ahold of a "master key".

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My understanding is that the (factory) black head keys are the non-transponder style, and the grey heads have a transponder.

That said, I have also heard that the non transponder keys have the black plug like shown, whereas the transponder style have a blue plug instead of the black one in the same place at the top of the key.

(edited to add the info about the black/blue plug)

Edited by wb6vpm