Ford Transit Connect Forum

Black Headlights. 2015 Only?

I've been doing a lot of research and I've discovered an odd pattern. 2016 models have chrome headlight bezels and 2015 have black. Since I do not like the chrome it appears I am forced to buy a 2015 model. Another stupid decision by Ford! Hopefully they bring back the black headlights for 2017.

It must be related to the trim, but try to find out what options/trim/year/wheelbase, etc will get you chrome or black headlights. You can't find it. It appears to be random, but definitely more common in 2015. In fact, if you look at ANY 2016's for sale right now you will find every one of them has chrome bezels, yet with no mention of the change anywhere from Ford. Nearly all 2015's I've found have black.

Also, if you build and configure a new Transit Connect on Ford's sight, the stock photo will always show the black headlights, which is simply not true.

Don't think so. I'm spending a lot of time on mobile.de looking for a new van and the black bezels show up alongside with chrome all the time. They appear in all kinds of trims. Here's the basest of base, it doesn't even have a radio:

$_57.JPG

And here's a moderately equipped one, with painted bumpers, Bluetooth etc.

$_57.JPG

It must be related to the trim

OK I think I've solved it. I've literally been comparing dealer inventory on 2015 vs 2016 for a few hours and this is what I'm finding:

2015 - Nearly all Transit Connects, in all trims, have black headlights

2016 - Only XL models get the black headlights. XLT and Titanium all have chrome headlights.

So Ford is acting like this is some sort of upgrade for the higher trim lines, which in my opinion is completely wrong. The chrome headlights look cheap. The black fits the theme of the van and makes it look more sporty.

Well I guess I learned something to day until this post I never looked at the head lights to see what the color of the plastic was under the lens cover. That was not even on the Radar when I bought the TC. Thanks for expanding my thinking of what is important in the car buying process.

this is an interesting thread

having never looked at the this part on the van, mine are black for a 2015 XLT Cargo model.

chrome would look okay too since the van is silver. personally, it wouldn't matter to me.

I first thought the whole van was pretty pedestrian looking with a -5 on the gnar factor scale of 0-10. Doesn't even register on the babe magnet scale.

I've grown to like the design a little more now so it's moved up a few notches. For me, it's all utility and no curb appeal.

If I were buying a new van today I'd go with a 2016 for better reliability and safety since it should have all the minor flaws of the previous 2014 and 2015 models fixed. Also, I'd want to get the BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert, which wasn't available on the '14 and '15 models.

Have you checked out the Promaster City?

Edited by windguy

I think that different buyers look for different things. I think that what is important can be different for every buyer.

As for the Pro Master City the Side sliding door is 7" shorter and with the seat folded the side access is poor. Another thing is the rear suspension is independent technically good in reality too many parts and rubber bushings to wear out.

I think that different buyers look for different things. I think that what is important can be different for every buyer.

As for the Pro Master City the Side sliding door is 7" shorter and with the seat folded the side access is poor. Another thing is the rear suspension is independent technically good in reality too many parts and rubber bushings to wear out.

Wow 7" shorter? That's significant. It's so odd to me why manufacturers come out with a vehicle to compete with another and don't improve upon it. Also, do they make a passenger version of the Pro Master? If they put the multi-air turbo in a passenger version I'd at least consider one.

I sent an email to Ford informing them that their "build and price" section is falsely showing black headlights on the XLT and Titanium trim lines. I realize I'm the minority here for those who care about it, but I think it's important...especially since special orders will not match the preview photo on the site.

Edited by DapperVan

The do make a Passenger version, only 2 seats like the SWB. But it has a wheel base similar to the LWB. When I got mine the one next to it was a SWB and the Back seat was folded . When I opened the side slider the it took the SWB version out of my consideration.

It goes to the different things for different people.

Thankfully there are many different ways that Cars and trucks are made.

As for the The build and price photos some of the photos in the current Ad are from 2014 and 2015. so much for the accuracy.