Ford Transit Connect Forum

Weather Stripping Fell Off

zepper

So this isn't a big deal, but I wanted to post it up here for the record.

The weather stripping over the driver door that deadens sound and prevents the rain from coming in fell off at about 15k miles. Of course durring the rainiest week we've had. Anyway I took it into ford and they used some sort of 3M adhesive to reapply it. So far so good. Took it through a car wash---no leaks and its rained and still no leaks.

Just an FYI incase anyone else has this issue poppin up.

:shift:

Good to know.

Does yours drip water all over you when you open the door, though? That bugs the heck out of me, I've never had a vehicle that dripped water when the door was opened. It has been really, really rainy here in the Bay, good you got that fixed... there's more coming!

So this isn't a big deal, but I wanted to post it up here for the record.

The weather stripping over the driver door that deadens sound and prevents the rain from coming in fell off at about 15k miles. Of course durring the rainiest week we've had. Anyway I took it into ford and they used some sort of 3M adhesive to reapply it. So far so good. Took it through a car wash---no leaks and its rained and still no leaks.

Just an FYI incase anyone else has this issue poppin up.

:shift:

Well....glad to know that I'm not the only one...my passenger door seal is hanging down....15k miles..how funny! The dealer wanted to put some crazy glue on it..I told them to keep their hands off...that mentality is the reason why Ford quality SUCKS

Humitex,

Give a call over to Albany (California) Ford Service and they can tell you the adhesive they used then you can get it yourself or have your ford service department get it. It worked perfectly.

I used to work for BMW way back in the day and that was kind of standard procedure for BMW also, if some rubber stripping comes off they would send a new piece if required but the dealership still had to find an adhesive to reattach it. BMW would suggest, but not provide, the adhesive.

It is frustrating that it came off, but the fix they did seems pretty decent.

Good to know.

Does yours drip water all over you when you open the door, though? That bugs the heck out of me, I've never had a vehicle that dripped water when the door was opened. It has been really, really rainy here in the Bay, good you got that fixed... there's more coming!

I know monsoon here lately.

It does drip a bit, which i don't mind, but I don't like all of the moisture that remains inside the door, you know in between the body and the door. I've been trying to wipe it down regularily. Fortunetly we're not in an area where they salt the roads.

The thin jam side strip on my right side door fell off too. Yes, it was also in the rain! Freehold Ford in Freehold, NJ replaced the entire strip. It took two weeks to get the part, but it all turned out OK. I am glad that I was not alone in that leak!

• 1 month later...

Mine started with right side seal falling on top of passenger's head while getting out. Took it to the dealer and had them check left side as well which was detached at certain points. The dealership ordered a new set which took several weeks to arrive. Brought the TC back in for the replacement and within a day saw that the new seals were not attached at several spots along the contour of the frame. They didn't even clean off the previous adhesive/moulding residue. Brought it back again and they sent it back to the body shop this time. Kept it for a day. Picked it back up and they obviously cleaned it up, but still not fully attached to the frame. The left side is especially bothersome due to the noise it generates at highway speeds.

Trying to decide what to do next since it is clear the dealership is not sure how to fix this correctly.

Mine was loose [driver side] right on the lot the day I bought my Transit then 2wks later I noticed the passenger side hanging. Both have been replaced by the dealer but I can see by the nature of it [glue on instead of channel inset] that this is going to be a chronic problem.

The 3M™ Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive Yellow, 5 oz Tube"Gorilla snot" is 08001. The 3M™ General Trim Adhesive, 08088 and the 3M™ Super Trim Adhesive is 08090 is in spray cans.

The 3M is good stuff but Caterpillar has this green cement that is just plain awesome and it sticks immediately and drys about as fast. It's their :

Cement – 5H-2471 236ml (8 fl oz)

185-4591 EAME

• Bond, seal or patch

• Bond cork, leather, rubber, metal – bond

headliners and wall insulation in cabs

• Contains flammable solvent

That stuff is good for colds, moles and sore a..... :hysterical:

TrimAdhesivesRemover.jpg

Edited by ncranchero

• 1 month later...

Can you just copy/paste the text from the PDF and post it here maybe? I'd like to have this information to take to the dealer when it happens. If you can shove a TSB in their face there isn't much "wiggle room" for them to try to claim they don't know about it. I got the defective clutch/pressure plate assemblies replaced on my old SVT Focus when I brought the printout of the TSB about the clutch to the dealer!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am the original poster on this one....and yep the door seal weather stripping fell off again. I think last time Albany Ford just sorta winged it b/c there was not TSB for it yet?? I don't know? Hopefully they follow the TSB this time, if they weren't able to last time.

Truck is in service now. I'll update.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am about to be a brand new tc owner, though I haven't actually got my hands on the car just yet. The one I'm getting also had this problem when I first looked at it. There's 21k miles on it so hopefully this hasn't been an issue for too long. The dealership that had it was an Acura dealer that didn't say anything about it. But the evidence of a leak was apparent upon noticing the wet carpet in the floor pans. This was made worse by the plastic that they put over the carpet to keep it clear. It just held the moisture in even some mold had started growing on the carpet. (This is in New Jersey and mold grows all too easily). They didn't want to do anything about this issue but I got them to drop the price down instead. I picked up a new set of the seals, rather than re-gluing, though perhaps that would have been the better option. I'm also thinking that I need to pull up the carpet and get rid of the jute that is under there since it is probably molding now. Check and repair for any rust that has taken a foothold.

• 1 year later...

Add me to the list. My weather stripping (on a 2013 TC) also became detached, on both driver and passenger doors. This happened just before 6k miles. When the dealership was inspecting it, they also noticed that one of the rear doors was just beginning to come loose. It took a number of trips, but they finally attached new weather stripping with the Gorilla Snot, and they are holding solid now.