Ford Transit Connect Forum

Weather Stripping Fell Off

zepper

the 2014 models have a piece of weather stripping on the upper rear edge of the sliding doors. When closed it covers the gap on the outside of the van between the door and the body panel for approximately the height of the window. I"ve never seen anythign like it on a car or van before. Since it's on the outside of the door and glued on one edge into the edge of the door, it even looks odd. What I find odd is that I can't find ANY photos of the TC from ford that shows that rubber door strip.

After a month this piece of rubber fell off both sliding doors. I brought it to the dealer for warranty and now I'm waiting for replacement parts.

The door stops also fell out of the door frame almost immediatley after I bought the van. Waiting for those replacements too.

the 2014 models have a piece of weather stripping on the upper rear edge of the sliding doors. When closed it covers the gap on the outside of the van between the door and the body panel for approximately the height of the window. I"ve never seen anythign like it on a car or van before. Since it's on the outside of the door and glued on one edge into the edge of the door, it even looks odd. What I find odd is that I can't find ANY photos of the TC from ford that shows that rubber door strip.

Are you saying that the weather stripping is visible, from the outside, when the door is closed ? This is a symptom that I ran into with the local dealer during a failed attempt to re-secure the rear door weather strip. It is a partial arc shape piece of rubber. They were not paying attention and put it on upside down. I noticed that it looked weird, took it back, and asked the service advisor why the rear doors on my TC looked different from the parts dept TC parked next to it. :doh:

• 4 years later...

LMAO and it ain't even funny.  The toughest part of the whole thing is getting the adhesive off.  I'm an old painter and have tried laquer thinner, naptha, paint thinner, WD-40, de-natured alchohol and a couple of others - nothing much is very good at melting the adhesive, which I'd guess you have to remove COMPLETELY before you get to thinking about re-attachment of old or new weather strip.  I paid the premium for the 3M adhesive remover in the spraycan, (my recommendation is save your money, $14.95 for an aerosol can,) and try one of the others.  The thinners proved no bite for the bulk of removal, you seem to have to have the adhesive almost completely mechanically removed (in my case thumb and thumbnail working best) then go back with a thinner of some sort and work about a half-inch at a time.  The rubber weatherstrip itself seams to have been originally installed with two sided adhesive tape - if you're retired like me, peel it back a bit at a time off of the paint or rubber with the thumb.  Or, buy new parts, but the adhesive needs to be completely removed.  I remember as a younger guy trying to paint over adhesive residue from tape on walls, no go.  (Note: my Transit is a 2010, it's now 2019 and the final straw for the failure was the Chicago area heat wave a week or two ago.)  Edit - need to mention Zep Big Orange-E posted by another member several posts ago.  I've never used it but will buy a can if they have it at AutoZone wen I go back to return the 3M.

Edited by tworock