Ford Transit Connect Forum

trans drain and fill for 2014 TC w/2.5 L 6 speed auto

Bret1197

Correct on the Fluid,

I am about to do the same thing, the drain and fill amount is 4 Liters. The trans holds 8.5 if the it its dry.

I am going to drain the fluid , Refill and run for 10 Minutes and do again that will ensure that most of the fluid will be New.

Then when warm the Oil should be at the sight bolt on the drivers side and just in front of the half shaft.

I have 73k and a leaky trans. I saw on YouTube a vehicle with the same trans and he added 5 qt. I drained 4 qt and put back 4.5 qt. I had drained about a qt. Out the week before due to the dealership over filling the trans. When the leak was supposedly fixed for the second time. Now it's out of warranty and I have to keep a constant eye on the fluid level...without having an easy way to check it.

Mine has a weep from the left seal. It has gotten smaller as the CV shaft has warn in. I check mine every 2500 Miles.

If you check this topic link below there are several ssm Bulletins on the topic of the leak. The fix seems to be a bushing and seal and an inner CV joint.

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/3064-left-front-axle-leaking-transmission-fluid/

When you Check the fluid make sure the car is warm [Normal Operating Temp. and running in park or neutral {parking brake on}. If the car is not running the fluid will pour out the sight bolt and you cannot get the level right.

I have made a dip stick that I can put through the sight hole so I can check the leak rate of the seal.

I think the left half shaft in on the short side and the seal design is marginal.

Good Luck Keep us posted

I find it a little disheartening that this seal leak has been a problem for years with other ford vehicles and Ford puts their head in the sand and hasn't fixed it....as a loyal ford customer for 30+ years I'm very disappointed.

I have not been a committed Ford Customer, but I like the TC very much and it disappoints me also.

I have driven lots of old cars and truck's . At some point the vehicles all leak fluid as they head into there golden years. Ford does not have a dip stick or an electronic telltale to let you know the fluid is low !! The corporate thought process that allows this disappoints me even more.

Sometimes the leaks and other unnecessary problems appear in vehicles you would expect the least. Historically a Ford leaking - everybody are like "oh, okay". I had a brand new Honda, crank seal leaking at 10K miles. No-one would even believe that :)

I have not been a committed Ford Customer, but I like the TC very much and it disappoints me also.

I have driven lots of old cars and truck's . At some point the vehicles all leak fluid as they head into there golden years. Ford does not have a dip stick or an electronic telltale to let you know the fluid is low !! The corporate thought process that allows this disappoints me even more.

I understand they can leak, but mine has leaked from day one and has been repaired by the dealer twice to no avail. This problem has been around for years with every ford vehicle that has had that trans. Ford took the cheap route as usual and just waits till the vehicle is out of warranty and the customer foots the bill for the proper repair.

Yes it is , The Escape has had a recall , but the TC has not.

Bret 1197 You may still have a warranty claim because of the warranty history of your vehicle. The fact that your TC was in for the same problem and it has not been solved may give you some protection.

Keep us Posted.

Ford only cares about safety recalls such as the fuel line and fuel pump recall...the side panel glue recall...and the not properly torqued tie down hooks or seat belt...this leak has been around for years and effects too many vehicles and would be too costly to repair...and the government won't break their balls unless it's a safety issue.

Just some info for you who think this transmission doesn't need service till 150k...the fluid I took out was completely black...the Ford lv fluid breaks down quickly. The mechanic in the YouTube video I saw recommends changing the fluid every 30K miles. I would say depending on your driving at least 100k would be OK if not sooner.

I think you are correct about the fluid change interval . Mine will get done soon . The Fluid change as easy as an Oil change and it will be done at the same time for me.

As to the Trans recall, There was a recall on the Escape with a very inexpensive kit for the parts. It could still come for the TC .

Edited by G B L

The draining is the easy part. The hard part is filling which requires a pump to inject the fluid into the tiny fill hole. I guess if you have a screw in funnel you'd be OK but it might take 4 hours to replace all 4 quarts.

No it does not , on the inboard side of the Air filter and just to the right of the valve cover Look down and you will see a black cap which is the Trans vent. If you pull up it will come off and that is the fill for the transmission. thin long funnel and it will become an easy job

post-4748-0-73869200-1458238299_thumb.pn

Edited by G B L

Well they don't make it easy

Not sure what the bolt is was there a sealing washer on it like the level plug.

If you put a pan under the drain you can measure what you take out and it will make it easier to put the right amount back.

If the fluid is as black as you say it needs to be done 2 or 3 times to flush the converter of the old fluid . That would be very Important to give the Transmission the most life.

The ATF here seems to get darker with age and if it is run on the hot side of its range it could have a decidedly dark color . It also could have a smell that would tell you its been hot. The fact that the LV fluid is synthetic could change how it ages.

Edited by G B L

Thankfully the fluid was not burnt, smelled OK. I'm not really a proponent of changing the fluid too much because some of the clutch material in the fluid actually helps the clutches engage properly...especially with older high mileage transmissions. As long as there isn't metal or the fluid isn't burnt it should live a pretty long life.

• 4 weeks later...

26132 on the clock Time to check the Left seal weep on the TC. The weep is there but is not changing or getting worse. Change the fluid while I was under the car. Put 12 quarts total through the gear. The fluid is nice and clear now, This Transmission works the fluid hard, I think that the sever service mileage should be used .

I Like this Van very much but I am still fuming about not having a transmission dip stick. :censored: