Ford Transit Connect Forum

Drilling Through the Roof?

Hey Folks!

I have a customer (I own an emergency/off-road vehicle lighting shop), with a 2010 Transit Connect. By Labor Day he wants to install a full-size LED lightbar on the roof, but he wants it permanently mounted since they wash the TC up to 3 times a week (it's matte black wrapped).

This is my first Transit Connect install, so is there anything I should know about the roof or headliner? He's paying good money so I really don't want to mess anything important up.

Thanks!

NP

My personal view on this would to mount the light bar/system on a roof rack, run the wires down through the racks mounting points. etc.. As for the wiring aspect, You would need to wait for a reply from a wiring expert within the forum to inform you were you can tie into a hot wire and where would be the best place to mount the switch..

Follow Up: One more thing, Next time, I would create a template for any other TC's who might want this same thing done. Once word gets out that you've done this. I'm sure other TC's will follow. GL

Thanks for the input! After this I will definitely have a template. My customer was very adamant that he wanted the lightbar drilled into the roof though. It's a car wash's mobile detail van so they put it through an automatic car wash up to 3 times a week, so he's afraid that a roof-rack will damage the systems in the wash. I have low-profile mounts for the lightbar he wants (see attachment for reference), just need to know what I'm up against drilling into the passenger cab of the TC.

Thanks again and I'll keep the forums updated!

Here are two Pictures of the roof structure from the Parts catalog . I am not sure if there is a side curtain air bag to worry about, 103west43rd would have more information on that.

Hope this helps

post-4748-0-10456300-1457479927_thumb.pn post-4748-0-44893400-1457479940_thumb.pn

You'll need to remove the overhead shelf and the front part liner. It is very rigid and cannot be bent.You'll probably need new plugs for reattachment as they wear out when removing. Make a good rust seal there when you drill.