Ford Transit Connect Forum

MK2 TC (2014 up) COILOVERS completed !

CAGE B8

:thumbsup:

Well Ladies and Gents.... after getting tired of searching for info from over seas, and/or trying to order a GAZ coilover setup from the UK for my 2015 TrannyVan. After mucho research, parts cross referencing at Ford .... I've ALMOST nailed down the perfect setup... with slight modification of course. Still hunting for that TRUE bolt on rig that requires the LEAST amount of modification, which leads me to this:

Was curious if you guys wanted a write up, considering I took TONS of pics and busted quite a few knuckles in the process. The picture upload format for this forum is...um...well... terrible to deal with, but if I get enough interest I'll definitely go through the trouble. Here's a few pics of the finished product attached below (with better shoot coming soon) - Hope you guys dig it

EQUIPMENT:
MEGAN RACING EZ STREET@ coild over setup
18x9 ROTIFORM VCE Monoblocks on 205/40's

post-4874-0-99927600-1456201281_thumb.jp

post-4874-0-41366800-1456201679_thumb.jp

post-4874-0-21746700-1456201695_thumb.jp

I don't have the exact figures of the spring ratings (im sure I will in the next few days), but it rides like pretty much every application specific coil over equipped car I have ridden in that wasn't bottomed all the way out. The way I went about parts cross referencing as well, the application I chose to shop shared the SAMe EXACT part number for Coil springs in the Ford Parts catalog as the Transit Connect LWB Van. I can't delve too far into what application just yet, considering the following:

I posted the above pic to the MEGAN FB page and got a response inquiring about the application I used, and I expressed my concerns about improvements/changes that could be made to the rear to basically seal the deal on this being a TRUE "suitable for retail" application to be added to their catalog. For that I want to hold off for a few days on letting out the info.
I actually tried contacting the folks at Fortune Auto considering they aren't but a 20 min drive from me, but the person on the other end of the message box either had no clue what I was talking about (doubt it) or didn't want to help me with info thinking I was up to no good,after free stuff, or either assumed I was a "BS'er". I really just wanted to be able to "put hands and eyes on" to measure/eyeball the items before I purchased. I even COMMITTED to buying whatever worked while I was there. Isuppose they didn't want some dude with a VAN coming around to help add to their product line up.

I have noticed a lot of folks looking to "lift" ..... I can assure you that this particular set of coil overs in the FRONT will give AT LEAST 2" lift over stock considering how much of the threaded adjustment is left on the shock body when it was set close to "stock" ride height (approx 3.5/4". Not to mention, the pre-threaded aluminum perches leave just over an inch of stud left sticking out of the top of the shock tower. I'm sure that would be good to run a solid strut spacer without an sort of worry about failure.

As for the bumper - I did have them painted (came as black), and they actually match perfectly. The reason they look a different shade is that the entire van received a decent wax before adding the painted parts. Tripping to PA/NY/FL over the past 4 months without bathing it has retained dirt better on the non-waxed parts. The van actually spends more sitting in between long runs than anything. it only has 10k on the odo in right at a year of use, but its been to West NC 4 times, FL once, PA twice , NY once, and a few other... really no where that wasn't over an 1:30 one way. I need to clean it lol

Here's a few I grabbed today in the rain. Excuse the rake, I raised it up a bit to load a motorcycle and deliver across town, this was on my way out of the drop off.

post-4874-0-13254000-1456292082_thumb.jp

post-4874-0-70707200-1456292093_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LOL @ Doctored images.

Can't tell if the "FAIL" remark is sarcasm of not but... emailing the guy I'm sure didn't help my process at all. I have project bikes that pull priority so I don't have much time to focus on it outside of poking around when I can't sleep (like now). My last correspondence with him was on March 18th when I shared the finding below with him.

I've been screwing around with the idea of "universal" shocks and simply turning the spacers needed to properly fit in their respective perches to actually make the rear setup "safe" for constant use. The stock shocks simply do not "limit" the rear travel enough for me to confidently navigate sh** roads. With that being said, I've determined fully Decompressed and Compressed measurements as well as "load" height measurements. It seems like currently I'm in the sweet spot of needing no more than 18" fully decompressed for the CURRENT rear setup that came with the "kit" I ordered, and 11" fully compressed.

Otherwise limiting straps may be in order.

The limiting issue is literally the only thing holding this back from working flawlessly.

The last email I received from Richard was the willingness to help search for matching brand eye-to-eye options they CURRENTLY carry, simply so I can finish a "matching " setup with part numbers to order for those that are interested in the application. I haven't heard anything back though -

richard@meganracing.com
Mar 18 (7 days ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
William,
Let me see what I can do for you. I don't recall having a double eye style shock laying around, but I will check and get back to you next week about it.
thanks.
Richard Kong
Business Development & Operations Manager
Megan Racing Inc
19481 San Jose Ave
City Of Industry

After researching compatible parts they actually produce, the closest they have are for an older ?Nissan? and aren't any where close to the limiting/travel distances needed. I have however found a set of DJM LT rated drop shocks that are DAMN close - should make for a pretty good test bed considering they will limit travel enough to not worry about losing a coil/perch when fully decompressed, but still allow proper suspension travel when nailing bumps. I want know about comparing the valving/ride/load capabilities until I actually have them in hand and on the van.

Having owned a Focus ST that setup looks remarkably familiar. And, considering the TC platform.....

The front is identical (from a bolt-on stand point, save the spring rates) across the Fusion/Focus/Fiesta/etc and the rear only has SMALL visual difference between models, so you're def spot-on.

The part numbers however - when cross referencing what other car had the closest spring rate - was definitely not ST (as you can imagine). The many "world chasis'ed" cars kinda made it pain but there's at least two different models. So I went with the MODEL specific that had the matching spring part number - although MEGAN probably runs the same across the range as long as they "fit".. which seems to be evident from the email responses I've gotten.

The rear bump stops however need HEAVY modification to set flush and clean inside of the perchs that come with the "kit" rear springs. Check the other posts to see the problems with "limiting" - you'll have a good idea of how dangerous it would be to ride around with loose perches lol.

Nice information. I know how much work it is to try and think of every possible condition that could appear. Even the major manufactures have things that get out of the plant before all the issues are worked out.

Looking forward to the total report with pictures.

I appreciate this info. I've been looking into building an air-ride setup, but I hate dealing with compressors and the like since I would lose my third row seats.

The GAZ setup wouldn't be too crazy to get shipped over, but if I can make something from the states work that may be easier. I would be very interested in a write-up or at least part numbers for the install.

I hate owning stock height cars.

I appreciate this info. I've been looking into building an air-ride setup, but I hate dealing with compressors and the like since I would lose my third row seats.

The GAZ setup wouldn't be too crazy to get shipped over, but if I can make something from the states work that may be easier. I would be very interested in a write-up or at least part numbers for the install.

I hate owning stock height cars.

Her sure man. There really aren't that many places to "hide" a compressor/tank on our vans without having to hear it ROAR inside the cabe/box either. Add in the maintenance/etc. Although I love the look/idea of being bagged, I'm a "static" guy as well.

The main thing with the GAZ setup (for me at least) is the lead time post placing an order, the shipping time and additional customs cost, multiplied by the product cost it's self. I'd much rather invest the time in to finding something stateside and releasing the part numbers to my fellow goons, I just want to make sure I have the easiest "go-to" setup ready before releasing some "half-assed" info. Not to mention, If I end up turning spacers for the rear shock solution (I'm still looking into), I want to make sure I have 30 or so turned ready to mail out when everyone is ready.

As you can see from the comments LostInTransit made (I think he deleted them), other folks getting involved at this point only makes things more difficult. Still not sure why he felt the need to email the rep at MEGAN to "verify" something he expressed he (and others) had no interest in, but it may explain why the rep has seemed to have lost interest in helping me in a prompt manner. He is however still co-operative so that is a thing

The other good thing though, determining a "cheaper" shock fit will give me a solid baseline to approach a company like Fortune, HandR, etc about providing me with available parts/product they already have or could maybe produce for me (at my expense obviously). All I ask is that everyone bare with me and not "poke around" the one guy that actually is helping a little ... while I try to get my project bikes ready for show in June. I promise I'll have more solid info and share it with folks as soon as I have a "solid" setup.

Keep up The good work Mustang, and Cage B8 looking forward to the finished Install with the part numbers and pictures . I have done lots of things to cars that the parts suppliers are not at liberty to endorse publicly.

As for Air bags I have had several vehicles with air bags and having an on board compressor is not necessary. The number of times that the pressure is changed is small and a home compressor or even a bicycle pump will do just fine.

Cheers to all waiting for the rest of all the stories that are running at the same time in this Post.

I have a portable 12V compressor for emergency use, about the size of a 1.5 liter bottle. Could probably be used for this kind of application. Attach to the top of the bulkhead together with an extra fire extinguisher when not in use.

144926853_DC_12V_Mini_Electric_Air_Compr

a certain someone may have deleted their drivel here but rest assured he's still bad mouthin' ya ...........................

http://t0astervan.kinja.com/boosting-false-hopes-1768757725

that link doesn't work for me but I did find some interesting fodder in another TC Forum when looking for a 2017 Ordering Guide.

See link below my fellow "Self proclaimed members who have come over from the UK Transit Connect forum with their bully tactics."

And all along I thought we were "a$$wipes".

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61049-transit-connect-forum-redirects/#entry971352

The link does not work anymore because he keeps deleting his posts and later claiming his account was hacked. Looks like his meltdowns come every few months.

Look, LostInTransit, if the whole world looks wrong to you then it may not be the world that's wrong.

Edited by mrtn

THE Ford Transit Forum "This self centered botish/with only one active admin/moderator, This site has been set on autopilot with no one's at the controls.. Self proclaimed members who have come over from the UK TransitConnect forum with their bully tactics."

I need to meet the UK-Bully's

Edited by G B L

I'm pretty sure he meant me, as I am probably the most vocal European here.

I declined joining his new network he invited me to in private.

Very politely declined. Still, it must've been too much.