Ford Transit Connect Forum

Can I add OEM Cruise control to vehicle that came without it

ang210

drey, were you going over 25 MPH when trying to turn on & use the cruise control? I remember reading something awhile back that it doesn't work under 25 or so, so I've never tried personally. The only non-functional problem I had with mine was with only the CC option enabled, once I enabled ASL (which you've already done), mine works fine. When you click the "LIM On/Off" button to turn on CC, does the "Miles to Empty" on the dash change to "SET MPH"? LIM On/Off turns the cruise on & off when you need it or don't need it. 

Hi jrm223, "miles to empty" does not change to "set mph" on the dash. seems like it did not program it. Yes, i did test the CC above 25 mph.

I did order a new scan tool that is recommended on the FORScan website and will see if that fixes the problem.

Any other ideas please let me know ? 

Edited by drey

That's the same unit that I have. Sometimes the write fails, but Forscan will say that it failed, then I just make my changes again. If you connect and do a read of the BCM again, you can verify whether the changes were written. 

I wouldn't think so, but I honestly don't know. There's so many stupid nanny controls on vehicles nowadays that it really wouldn't surprise me! Y'know, something like "Oh, one of your tires is low on air, so we're not going to let you use cruise control until that's corrected." Haha. You need to fill them all up to spec anyway, so start your troubleshooting there and proceed onward. This next one shouldn't be required, but you could run the "PCM Relearn Procedure" (might be worded differently, it's the first one in the menu where you went to change the BCM specs) to see if that resolves it. And look through the DTC's next time, maybe one or more pointed to an issue that would help resolve the CC; I know most of them will just be generic ones about "lost communication with [xxx] module" from the rewrite, though.

Hi, i cannot still get the cruise control to work.  The cruise control and ASL are enabled and the CC buttons illuminate. Please help to understand how to fix this code - mechanical failure in the steering wheel module?

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

I’m not sure what year is the steering purchased from eBay. But called local Ford dealer and he said based off my vin# I need a manufacturer part # for the steering wheel bk2z-3600-aa. Not sure what year is this steering wheel. Purchased from eBay steering wheel is a ck41-3600-cb35b8. Let me know if using a different year steering wheel is an issue. 

Wow, with all the CANBUS and "universal parts bin" (or nearly universal), I would have expected the steering wheels to actually be the same. That full-size Transit one looks identical externally to the Transit Connect steering wheel I put in my van, but I guess the module inside it must be different & causing drey's issue. Time for him to return that one and get a TC steering wheel. The programming is already done, so just swapping on the right part will finally get him going. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, so replaced the steering wheel with another one DT11-3600... and have the same issue. I think i have something going on with my configuration in the transit computer. When I reverted back to default, turned off the CC and ASL functions, my ABS and traction control lights lit up on the dashboard. When i enabled the CC again the lights on the dash disappeared by I cannot even change the ASL function. So how do i overwrite with my original configuration files in FORScan? I did backup these format files before I did my configurations originally. 

I want to overwrite to original configuration and then try to turn on CC and ASL again.  

drey,

I agree you may have a mis-configuration in the BDYCm or IPC modules. You load configurations using the "as built" version of the modules. You can load the backup you have saved (good job saving this!) or you can get the factory configuration from the Motorcraft website (newer versions of Forscan have a button that will do this). Here are some tutorials you should read to make sure you do things properly. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

Motorcraft site: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt (you need to enter the country and accept cookies, then logout and try again to get access..or some other steps to gain access. This should be covered in the tutorials)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,
I just bought a transit connect L2 1.5 tdci 100hp TREND from 2017. I would like to install the cruise control but I'm afraid it won't work because it's a European vehicle. The screen of the on-board computer is slightly different and it is a manual gearbox. Do you think that if I change the steering wheel and activate the cruise control, it will work? 
Thank you for sharing your work

FB_IMG_1609359333654.jpg

FB_IMG_1609359336612.jpg

That's just an uplevel screen on a higher-spec'd vehicle. I tried to turn on that extra info using Forscan, but it didn't work, lol. Cruise control works fine, but the digital display stays the same as it already is. The extra buttons won't do anything in your vehicle. 

Hi ! 

I installed my new steering wheel this morning , SN: BK21-3600-FD35B8

-  first I tried to enable cruise control but seems not working

- Then I tried enable adjustable cruise control and i had a lot of light (ABS, ESP and hill assist)

- Then I tried enable cruise control and Adjustable speed limiter, ABS, ESP and hill assist light off :) but CC seems not working and nothing about CC on the screen

Does someone have any suggestions ?

Maybe the CC works but I don't understand how to use it ? I don't see any light or indication on the dashboard/screen when I press the cruise control buttons.

Is there any way to know if the buttons work?

(others buttons for the menu and the radio works fine)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 6:09 PM, mayamenteur said:

OKKK, it's working ! I navigate into other modules and I found another module where I had to activate both CC and ASL parameters (in addition to BMCii)

thanks for sharing your work that was very helpful ?

Hi could you tell me which other modules you went into as I'm having the same trouble as you did and did you used the second wheel you got

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, donuts said:

Cruise Control is working! This was done with a 2017 TC XL LWB Van + steering wheel from a 2015 XLT Wagon.

Step 1 add steering wheel with cruise control switches. I used one that was definitely from a Transit Connect. I have no idea what other Ford model steering wheels will fit. I used my original airbag. Swapping the steering wheel is simple and no wheel puller was needed - mine practically fell off in my lap.

Step 2 purchase OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter and pair it with Windows laptop. My laptop has bluetooth built in.

Step 3 Windows Laptop with Forscan installed. I used Windows 10 with Forscan version 2.3.18 beta with extended license installed.

Step 4 Make changes using Forscan. This is a little scary at first, but it's easy:

a. Connect to car - there are many tutorials on this.

b. Go to configuration "tab" on left, the icon looks like a computer chip.

c. Go to each of the modules that have "as built" in their names, start the service procedure, and use the "Save all" button to save your original configs. Do each module one by one and save each one with a different DESCRIPTIVE name just in case you need to go back to your original config.

d. Go to the BCM (Body Control Module) that includes Central Configuration in the name and start the service procedure - you need to be connected to the internet for this. It will pop up a warning box about downloading and installing a secondary boot loader to do this and it's not safe. THIS IS WHY YOU SPEND EXTRA $ ON THE OBDLink MX. Go ahead and follow the prompts including turning off the ignition as it tells you.

e. Once all of that is done, you will see all of the parameters in the Central Config for your vehicle. SOME MAY BE WRONG - mine said I have diesel engine and then the next line fuel type is listed as Petrol. Scroll down and find Cruise Control, click the edit item button, pull down and choose "With cruise control".

f. Click the write button.

g. Follow the prompts and cycle the ignition as requested.

Voila you now have working cruise control.

Hello, I need help, i´m trying to do the same i already swap the steering wheel, but having issues when trying to gain access to BCM (main) using Forscan it gives an error (service procedure has been interrupted) any ideas ?

9 hours ago, Jmariano said:

Hello, I need help, i´m trying to do the same i already swap the steering wheel, but having issues when trying to gain access to BCM (main) using Forscan it gives an error (service procedure has been interrupted) any ideas ?

When I was getting the (service procedure has been interrupted) message it was because there was a problem with Forscan. My 2021 Connect was too 'new' at the time.

I contacted the developers and they had me send log files to them. They fixed the software and issued an update that fixed my issues. Which were unrelated to swapping steering wheels, so I don't know if yours is the same problem...