Ford Transit Connect Forum

Can I add OEM Cruise control to vehicle that came without it

ang210

Adaptive cruise control requires a whole myriad of complicated electronics, none of which are installed on '14 thru '18 TC's and if you had a '19 which has the modules to support adaptive cruise, it would already be there for you to use . . . . so, for our purposes, ignore that option anytime you see it on Forscan

I have Adaptive Cruise on my '17 Chevy Volt and I LOVE it . . . . I would never buy another new car without it, but I wouldn't even try to install it on any vehicle which didn't come with it.  There are just too many modules required that didn't come with a car that doesn't have it from the factory

Don

just posting an update

i tried turning it on again using forscan on an elm327 compatible lead. in engineering mode and in normal mode. no luck whatsoever. when i change the setting i cleared all the dtc's. i take the van for a run and try to switch on cruise no joy.

buttons are illuminated but i guess all the lamps are on a common live?

when i get home i have pcm errors p0564:82-2e and p0564:00-2e.

they all clear but cruise just wont switch on.

When I added cruise control to my van, I found that I had to enable BOTH the cruise control and ASC in order for the CC to work on my 2015. I don't recall having any DTC's from enabling only the CC, like you're seeing, but the CC didn't work until the ASC was also enabled. I also don't have (nor have even heard of) the bbfly adapter you're using, so that could be a culprit? I've heard of lots of cheap knockoff adapters causing issues or not working properly and I think Forscan lists all known good adapters that work properly. Here's the Amazon link for the one I have - I've had zero problems with mine, FWIW. 

JRM223

thanks for your reply, the bbfly is an elm327 compatible adapter  ( hadnt heard of it either)  which i appreciate is probably not the best. however forscan does recognise it but i must admit the amount of dtc's it generates just from turning on cruise is alarming.

a couple of questions if i may...

1.  did you activate cruise with forscan or IDS?

2. i have looked through the central configuration and have not seen a setting for ASC, am i looking in the BCM module for this?

3. i have a vxdiag adapter coming which is compatible with ids and also with forscan so i might wait till this arrives.

thanks for your response as i would love to have the sucess that others have had with activating cruise control. in the uk there arent many connects factory built with 5 seats and LWB like mine. i would have bought a higher spec if available but sadly they are difficult to come by.

i use my connect for camping trips and a daily run around so did not want a tourneo and like having no windows in the rear sliding doors.

once again thanks

i had noted that it  (BBFLY obd lead) reports as elm327 v1.5 which is apparently a sure sign of a clone.

in reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/bbflyOBD-VINT-TT55502-ELM327-modificado-FORScan/dp/B06XJ6GQZX/ref=pd_sbs_263_2/258-0210525-4880758?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06XJ6GQZX&pd_rd_r=2a413203-28ec-455a-aa58-64e65fe36aea&pd_rd_w=PYxkT&pd_rd_wg=23me0&pf_rd_p=2b420a2f-6593-478e-8b5f-cb43865ff16f&pf_rd_r=RCK7MEM9GTFTVBWY7QCN&psc=1&refRID=RCK7MEM9GTFTVBWY7QCN

in the reviews it claims its ok but as i have experienced it throws many errors and dtc's when just one setting is selected.

hope this at least helps someone wasting their money like i did.

I only made the point about bbfly since there are so many cheap adapters claiming to be "elm327 compatible" and causing lots of issues, but I haven't looked at the Forscan list recently to see what models are on it. Just the name of it sounds like one of those cheap Chinese knock-offs, at least to me. Before buying mine, I had found it on a Forscan discussion on a Focus or Mustang forum and several users had recommended it, so I knew it would work properly, lol. 

As for your questions - I used Forscan since I don't have IDS. The ASC was in the same module that CC was in, but it was down towards the bottom of the list - I can't remember which module because it's been awhile. The setting was called either Adaptive Speed Control or Adjustable Speed Control. 

Hi jrm223

it appears you are right about bbfly lead its rubbish. i have heard obdlink mx+ are decent and some people on here have used them. i have a vxdiag on the way so will try that then i suppose if no joy then order either your lead (thanks) or the obdlink mx +.

i prefer the wired options but i will use toilet roll if it actually activates my cruise control.

Thanks for your help and i will keep this forum updated with my progress.

WELL ALL,

GREAT NEWS - finally got it to turn on and work. thank you for the support from this forum. i had sucess with obdlink mx+

It worked flawlessly with forscan and it gave me many more options within forscan compared to the Crappy ELM clone (bbfly obd)

so in short my procedure is this.

Replace steering wheel for one with cruise control switch pod 

Connect to car via whichever adapter ( i strongly recommend the obdlink mx+) which is a bluetooth connection ( i bought a tplink bluetooth dongle from amazon)

go to each as built module and start the service procedure ( modules are in the tab with the computer chip down the left hand side)

once the service procedure has started back up the as built module you are in (save to file)

Exit (stop) the service procedure you are in once backup file is saved and repeat the backup for all As Built modules possible

Then click on bcm central configuration and start service procedure

it will prompt about secondary bootloader ( read prompts and follow as instructed.)

you will need to change the following 2 settings

adjustable speed limiter and cruise control

write settings and follow screen prompt to cycle ignition.

end service procedure central config bcm (stop Icon)

then check dtc codes for errors and clear as necessary

disconnect from forscan , remove obd dongle and take for a test and see if switches operate.

i hope this helps anyone who needs it.

i will monitor the post and offer any help where i can and once again thanks everyone who took the time to help or even write anything on this post.

FORSCAN SCREENSHOT.PNG

FORSCAN  SCREEN 2.PNG

On 10/8/2019 at 4:51 AM, Fifty150 said:

Post a bad review of the item.  Lesave negative seller feedback.  Then contact BBFLY and ask for a refund.

i have done this on amazon and strongly recommend not buying clone junk.

thanks all

On 1/30/2016 at 2:57 PM, DonShockley said:

It looks like there's a couple modules in the steering column also.

post-5019-0-26798800-1454165825_thumb.jp

post-5019-0-44234900-1454165836_thumb.jp

is this repair manual available to buy?? cant find much in the uk. normally we have haynes manuals but they havent made one for this generation.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

I'm fighting with a 2017 Transit 250, trying to enable cruise.  So far, I've done what's listed here.  I obtained a steering wheel from a 2016 with cruise buttons in good condition.  Installed said steering wheel.  Went into Forscan and changed the settings in central config to add ASL and Cruise Control.  Still doesn't work.  I'm happy to entertain any suggestions.

Also, new here to the forum.  This is the best topic I was able to find, after using the search function. 

Thanks!!

ITSGuy,

Your Transit 250 is significantly different from the Transit Connect on this forum. The programming in Ford vehicles varies greatly and even vehicles built on the same platform (Focus, TC, Fiesta) don't have programming that is interchangeable. Forscan can't program every option for every Ford vehicle. The Forscan developers have spent more time on the popular vehicles and much less time on vehicles like the TC and Transit. As a user, we can only see the options and functions that apply to the vehicle we can connect to. So none of us here know what Forscan can do on a full size Transit unless we own one.

But, having said all that, here is what you can try/research:

1. Verify the system is reading the cruise control button activity. Find the PIDs in the BCM, PCM or other module related to the cruise control button and verify they change state when pressed. Of course, if the cruise control lights on the IPC illuminate then you know the comm BUS is transmitting the commands from the buttons.

2. Maybe the IPC needs to be configured/programmed. There may be a pre-programmed function or you may have to change values in each register (as built data). Check the Transit forum to see if anyone has done this. Study the IPC as built files from several Transits with cruise control (find a van on Autotrader and use the VIN to get the file from the Motorrcraft website). Ideally, find your exact van (year + options) with cruise control and compare the IPC as built data. Change the registers that are different and see if it works. This is tedious. Back-up EVERY module before you make any changes.

3. The Forscan forum may have some info but it covers every Ford vehicle worldwide so finding a post that covers your exact vehicle is unlikely.

There is a solution, but it may take some work to find it.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:15 AM, Don Ridley said:

ITSGuy,

3. The Forscan forum may have some info but it covers every Ford vehicle worldwide so finding a post that covers your exact vehicle is unlikely.

There is a solution, but it may take some work to find it.

However, those vans are imported from Europe, so there could be some programming that's common between EU & US versions - although a lot will be different because of Euro-V or whatever their current emissions standards are called versus EPA standards. Stuff like cruise control programming might could be the same across both sides of the pond, though. Can't know until actually comparing As-Built data from both. 

Just did this on my 14 ecoboost.

Bought ebay leather wheel with all the controls.  (including the bluetooth/audio stuff I don't have the head unit for)

Wheel swap was easy.  Unhook airbag clips using the video above.  Unclip harnesses.  The two airbag harnesses are double-retained with little plastic clips, careful.

Set airbag aside.

Remove single bolt holding the wheel.  It has a single drop of blue threadlocker on it, so it takes a bit of force to break it free, then it comes out easily.
Carefully note which way you have the wheel turned.  A small yank released mine, no puller needed.
There are 2 plastic pins that index with the wheel, these are likely for stability control wheel position sensors.  The clockspring will spin freely with the wheel removed - don't spin it, you'll lose your place.
Place new wheel on center pin.  Plastic wheel position pins should fit right into the holes.
Put a dab of blue threadlock on center bolt.

Reinstall bolt.

I torqued mine to 29ft/lbs - based on a number I found on my phone for a different ford - I don't even remember which one.  Maybe a Fiesta.

Tried to program with a cheap wifi obd2 reader using the instructions on page2 (laptop was plugged into ethernet for the download). It went all the way through, and failed on the write.  Multiple times.

Ordered OBDLink SX USB on amazon, carefully using the OBDLink store.
Drove another 1500 miles without cruise.  Grr.
Obdlink sx (USB) arrived at the office while we were 200 miles away.
Co-worker that was helping me went by the office to get the new OBDLINK.

He sent me these photos.

cruise1.thumb.jpg.e06d67f2cd33282b6fe7b3c4f21699a8.jpg

cruise2..thumb.jpg.00389153f85a72e0cdb03f8f921de80f.jpg

cruise3..thumb.jpg.c83ce8257bb83c0dea5fcea84e135f3f.jpg

Edited by Elkad

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all having a bit of trouble activating cruise control. Donuts said go to bcm to activate it but all I got is bcmii. In the module section I cant see no modules relating to cruise control. Does that mean i havent got the module for it and have to get it? Any help appreciated...

• 6 months later...

Can anyone think of a reason why the right hand side audio buttons would not work after this upgrade? Cruise control and left side buttons all work fine. All switches works on old non cruise wheel. Many thanks In advance.

UPDATE: 2 wires need relocation on a 2018 facelift wheel. Bottom row of main socket to squib should have a yellow wire and green wire in pins 3 and 4. All done and working.

Edited by Karlb
Updated

I did have a tinker with the settings in forscan, it moved the audio to the left side of steering wheel and lost use of trip computer etc. As above a simple relocation of two wires and it's all still runnng great.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, I read through your posts how to install cruise control for my 2016 Transit connect XL. Please help figure out why my cruise control is not working? 

I purchased a transit connect steering wheel with a cruise control (same steering wheel couple posts above) and replaced my existing steering wheel. note: cruise control buttons illuminate 

Installed ForScan v2.3.36 beta and purchased $10 year license.

Then purchased this scan tool https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connected the OHP ELMconfig FORScan OBD2 to my transit connect

enabled the cruise control and adjustable speed limiter values. 

did get some errors in DTS but cleared them.  yet cruise control does not work.