Ford Transit Connect Forum

Can I add OEM Cruise control to vehicle that came without it

ang210

Cruise Control is working! This was done with a 2017 TC XL LWB Van + steering wheel from a 2015 XLT Wagon.

Step 1 add steering wheel with cruise control switches. I used one that was definitely from a Transit Connect. I have no idea what other Ford model steering wheels will fit. I used my original airbag. Swapping the steering wheel is simple and no wheel puller was needed - mine practically fell off in my lap.

Step 2 purchase OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter and pair it with Windows laptop. My laptop has bluetooth built in.

Step 3 Windows Laptop with Forscan installed. I used Windows 10 with Forscan version 2.3.18 beta with extended license installed.

Step 4 Make changes using Forscan. This is a little scary at first, but it's easy:

a. Connect to car - there are many tutorials on this.

b. Go to configuration "tab" on left, the icon looks like a computer chip.

c. Go to each of the modules that have "as built" in their names, start the service procedure, and use the "Save all" button to save your original configs. Do each module one by one and save each one with a different DESCRIPTIVE name just in case you need to go back to your original config.

d. Go to the BCM (Body Control Module) that includes Central Configuration in the name and start the service procedure - you need to be connected to the internet for this. It will pop up a warning box about downloading and installing a secondary boot loader to do this and it's not safe. THIS IS WHY YOU SPEND EXTRA $ ON THE OBDLink MX. Go ahead and follow the prompts including turning off the ignition as it tells you.

e. Once all of that is done, you will see all of the parameters in the Central Config for your vehicle. SOME MAY BE WRONG - mine said I have diesel engine and then the next line fuel type is listed as Petrol. Scroll down and find Cruise Control, click the edit item button, pull down and choose "With cruise control".

f. Click the write button.

g. Follow the prompts and cycle the ignition as requested.

Voila you now have working cruise control.

A couple more details to share:

1. With the base cluster, the extra buttons on the steering wheel shown in the photo I posted above do nothing. I need to poke around Forscan when I've got more time to see if there is anything I can change to get the buttons to do something.

2. Earlier in this thread I questioned whether or not it would be possible to add the cruise control switch "pod" to my base steering wheel. After comparing steering wheels, I'm pretty certain that would be a big PITA. However, if you love a challenge, I'm sure it's possible, though you might need to break out the Dremel.

3. The steering wheel I used (from a 2014, not a 2015 as I said above) does not have the audio control buttons so I still don't know if I had those buttons whether or not they could control the base AM/FM radio.

Feel free to contact me with any questions on this fairly simple upgrade.

Edited by donuts

Glad you were able to make good use of my old steering wheel  -  As I said, it was just laying on a shelf in the garage after I upgraded mine to a leather wrapped one with audio controls . . . . I was never going to do anything with it, and now Joe has Cruise Control!!!

Great!!

Don

I had some time today to poke around in Forscan while connected to my van.

I found 1 useful thing and one I wish was useful.

1. I could set my locking to one step unlock so I don't need to press the remote unlock button twice to unlock all doors. I already had this following the instructions in the owner's manual, but if I disconnected the battery or used Forscan, I lost it and had to repeat it. Now it's my default for one click unlock.

2. Approach lights - this is the one I wish worked. I can change the setting but it does nothing and this is because my van was built 2 weeks before the date they started using the updated BCM firmware. This is going to take a trip to the dealer... and some luck getting them to make the change.

I tried various other settings and they didn't do anything.

One in the Instrument Panel Control was digital speedometer. I turned it on and when I drove the vehicle I still didn't have a digital speedometer so I set it back to the default.

This is with the base cluster so maybe that has something to do with it.

Oh, in the Trailer module (I have factory trailer package) it has a bunch of settings for LED lights. I don't have a trailer at the moment so I didn't do any testing. The settings for the LEDs were all set to No from the factory.

Edited by donuts

On 10/30/2018 at 8:03 PM, donuts said:

I had some time today to poke around in Forscan while connected to my van.

2. Approach lights - this is the one I wish worked. I can change the setting but it does nothing and this is because my van was built 2 weeks before the date they started using the updated BCM firmware. This is going to take a trip to the dealer... and some luck getting them to make the change.

Look up SSM 46321 on this page below. I'm one of the people that successfully had the dealer turn off the stupid approach lights after BCM update. Just tell them that you'd like the approach lights turned off because you've had battery drain that required jump-starting - it's just a small white-lie, haha. I have not tried turning mine back on using Forscan, haven't felt any need to. 

My next trip up north to visit family starts in 1.5 weeks, so I just finally ordered a cruise control steering wheel off Ebay. Brand new, cruise & menu buttons (obviously menu will be useless on my XL) for $120 because I used the "make offer" button instead of paying their $135 asking price. For anybody that might want to try swapping a wheel that also has radio buttons on it, there's a used leather one listed for $153 BIN with 1.5 days left on the auction. I wanted to buy that one, but I need to minimize my spending because of the upcoming trip. Here's the leather wheel with cruise, menu & radio buttons

My trips up there are about 1000 miles each way and I drive straight-through & alone, so finally having cruise control in the van will be a very welcome upgrade! 

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have 2014 TC XL the very basic cargo van and I would like to install OEM cruise control. Some of you guys jrm223  and donuts have done an amazing job upgrading your cars. My question is If I buy a TC steering wheel with cruise control will my current steering wheel have the right harness wiring to accommodate cruise control option? Also Do I need to replace a basic cluster or not? Below attached a picture of my current setup>
I will greatly appreciate any help. Thank you

IMG_7235.jpg

I upgraded my OEM steering wheel with cruise to a leather wheel with radio controls.  I sold my OEM wheel to someone here on the forum who did exactly what you're wanting to do  -  Add OEM cruise.  He did it, so I'm sure it can be done.  Search here for his discussion and you should learn all you need to know

Don

All I did was buy a cruise control steering wheel, take off the base model steering wheel and install the new one. Then I turned on the Adaptive Speed Control and Cruise Control options via Forscan. All the needed plugs were already present inside when you get the airbag off. 

9 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

All I did was buy a cruise control steering wheel, take off the base model steering wheel and install the new one. Then I turned on the Adaptive Speed Control and Cruise Control options via Forscan. All the needed plugs were already present inside when you get the airbag off. 

Thank you for a quick reply. I just ordered my steering wheel off of ebay.
Did you use OBDlink mx? if yes, do you have a link to amazon?
Is it possible to use windows tablet to program?
What version of Forscan did you use?
Is there any way to do a step by step walkthrough on how to turn on adaptive speed control and cc?
thank you in advance 

Here's the OBD adapter that I used and I had mine hooked up to a regular laptop with Windows 10. I can't see any reason why a tablet wouldn't work, because most of them are running a version of Windows 10, also. Another member wrote up a thorough tutorial specific to using Forscan to turn off the approach lights (some call it "dark mode"); this tutorial will get you most of the info you need. It's been awhile, so I don't remember which module the CC & ASC was in offhand.

I just scrolled back up and the third post on this page, written by Donuts, gives a readable description of what to do. For some reason, Donuts did not have to change the ASC for his van. When I enabled CC on mine, it still didn't work; after I went back in again and enabled ASC (after I looked through the various parameters, I deduced that it was the most likely setting I needed) then I was able to use the cruise control. CC & ASC are in the same menu, but you'll need to scroll through to find each, I recall seeing a few dozen various settings available.

11 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

Here's the OBD adapter that I used and I had mine hooked up to a regular laptop with Windows 10. I can't see any reason why a tablet wouldn't work, because most of them are running a version of Windows 10, also. Another member wrote up a thorough tutorial specific to using Forscan to turn off the approach lights (some call it "dark mode"); this tutorial will get you most of the info you need. It's been awhile, so I don't remember which module the CC & ASC was in offhand.

I just scrolled back up and the third post on this page, written by Donuts, gives a readable description of what to do. For some reason, Donuts did not have to change the ASC for his van. When I enabled CC on mine, it still didn't work; after I went back in again and enabled ASC (after I looked through the various parameters, I deduced that it was the most likely setting I needed) then I was able to use the cruise control. CC & ASC are in the same menu, but you'll need to scroll through to find each, I recall seeing a few dozen various settings available.

Thank you jrm223  I should get new steering wheel this Saturday, will keep you posted.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, Dre3000 said:

jrm223 

Beta Don and jrm223 I'm reposting back with good news! Got the steering wheel and Cruise Control to work last night ! Fairly simple procedure, the hardest part was to install Windows 10 on my MacBook lol
jrm223 The options I had for cruise control are 1.without CC, 2. CC, 3. Adaptive CC - I chose #2 and  it worked

Did you figure out how to turn on other buttons on your steering wheel?

IMG_7247.JPG

I didn't try messing with the other buttons, but they're meant to control the menu on that dash screen behind the steering wheel. I'm thinking that a different gauge cluster is required, but I don't know that for sure. I reckon you could change the cluster type in the programming and say it has a more advanced one, then see if the buttons will work? 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes driving the vehicle for a while will reset some items that get mis-set using Forscan. It's not the driving per se, but cycling something that is wrong. My TC always gets stuck thinking a door is open or unlocked when I make a Forscan change. Simply locking and unlocking the doors using the button on the door fixes this. Focus owners have reported other mystery problems that were fixed by driving / operating the vehicle.

This may help:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2894&p=12205&hilit=abs+error+u2300#p12205

One thing to try is remove the vehicle profile from Forscan when it boots. This will cause the program to read all the modules and configurations from scratch. Maybe this will help when re-loading the original configuration etc.

Thanks Don,

i have managed to clear all the faults and have tried to get cruise control working to no luck.

if i enable cruise control i get a load of faults clear them but cruise doesnt work.

others have said either asc or adaptive cruise control?? any sucess or opinion on those?

thanks for your reply.