Ford Transit Connect Forum

gas pedal is too easy

framebinder

• 8 years later...

I'm new to T.C.s and I believe I know what framebinder is talking about. The drive-by-wire throttle ought to be linear. I remember someone else mentioning in an earlier post that it seemed as though 50% throttle occurs within the first 1/2" of travel. I had an '05 V-6 Mustang with a nice linear drive-by-wire. Of course the last half of the travel didn't really matter, the 4.0L engine didn't have much top end. I'm wondering if the programming on the throttle can adjusted?

Framebinder, I don't have any problem with the pedal effort, seems like most other cars. 

But Sampa, I totally agree, it's practically my #1 complaint about driving the TC is the difficulty of a smooth takeoff especially if you are just coming off the brake and moving your foot to the gas.  I've actually resorted to two-foot driving (left foot on the brake) in traffic because I really don't like seeing my passengers getting jerked back in their seats.

I don't doubt this is done to make the new car seem peppier on the test drive, but it would be nice to have an "OK, now I have to live with it" setting.

The throttle curve is totally controlled by a map in software, no doubt... question is, is there an alternate curve that can be enabled with something like FORScan, that's a little less front-loaded?

The problem isn't so much with the throttle, it's that 1st gear is such a low ratio that it's not easy to take off smoothly without spinning the tires or jerking the passengers around.  Once you get used to it . . . . and it does take awhile . . . . you won't find it's a problem any longer.  My problem is I drive the TC so seldom that every time I have to begin getting used to it all over again, but once I've driven it 2 or 3 days in a row, it all seems perfectly normal to me

Don

Beta Don, you nailed it! It's just a matter of adapting to the different pedal response. The T.C. is actually my wife's vehicle and I drive a gutless Ranger. I'm used to not only putting my foot through the floor but also considering what extra weight I can jettison as I try to enter a freeway. So my transition between vehicles is kind of rough on my passengers. You know, I hear a lot of, "Oh I don't mind walking" or "Really, I need the exercise"

Agree with you Beta Don, around town I drive a 1st gen Volt and it is very weak on initial acceleration so I typically just stomp on it then back off as it gets to 5 to 10 MPH.  Just exactly opposite to how I have to drive the TC.