Ford Transit Connect Forum

how reliable are the older connects ? looking at a used one

lortech

I have kind of decided the ford transit is the preferred service vehicle over the dodge caravan, Honda odyssey and other van. It is small, very good fuel economy and not to pricey. The van in question was made in 2010 and had high millage as a taxi. But that is just one vehicle. Do all the connects made in all years seem fairly reliable? What major issues come up after x amount of millage has accumulated on the odometer?

4-speed automatic connects have had shifting issues. The drivetrain is shared with the Focus so you can cross check that.

Other problems that have been reported and I have experienced include door lock issues, stone chips that create zinc bubbles under the paint, heater blower resistor pack or plug failing (max speed working only), overhead light acting up (related to door lock/contact issues, probably). Front tire wear (more in the inside), not sure what's the reason, I have experienced it on both my units, heated windshield issues, rear barn door hinges wearing out if not greased properly, door sill rust if not equipped with mud flaps.

Pretty sure I'll remember some more if I think about it.

The major problems I have had have been related to diesel or poor maintenance.

One of my service engineer drove the '06 one for three years and did not pay attention to front suspension clunking which eventually took out the whole steering rack.

Gearbox failed this year, it was working but there was some metallic shine in the oil so I replaced it with some scrap yard focus box.

Diesel pump failed 3 years ago, but it's considered normal for the Bosch system I have.

Drive shaft support bearing failed this year.

Exhaust pipe rust through a couple of years ago, replaced the whole cat back part.

A couple of wheel bearings.

Brake parts, normal wear and tear for a towing vehicle.

Not bad for a 10 year old work horse.

Edited by mrtn

lortech, I do not agree with mrtn. There are no systemic auto transmission issues.

As for the following issues, most of which have never appeared on this forum, I again do not agree.....Other problems that have been reported and I have experienced include door lock issues, stone chips that create zinc bubbles under the paint, heater blower resistor pack or plug failing (max speed working only), overhead light acting up (related to door lock/contact issues, probably). Front tire wear (more in the inside), not sure what's the reason, I have experienced it on both my units, heated windshield issues, rear barn door hinges wearing out if not greased properly, door sill rust if not equipped with mud flaps.

Spot check the older entries from Transit Connect owners on this forum from the US as opposed to mrtn an his european view.

I think you will find the Transit Connect first generation (2010-2013) in this country has been a sold workhorse.

I can't Address most of the issues for the gen one unit but the tire ware issue I can.

The camber adjustment on the front suspension is not adjustable from the factory. In most cases there is an aftermarket fix to allow the camber to be reset. The Camber of the

front end affects the amount of toe in that is needed to make the tire scrub acceptable. If the tires are wearing on the inside the wheels do not have enough toe in for the camber of the front end.

Apart from the drive train and the odd brake light replacement it is the same exact car so the same issues must come up. Sure, it's been on the market for many more years (2002-2013) here so more issues have surfaced.