Ford Transit Connect Forum

thank you ford NOT!

Andrew James

When will manufactures listen? we dont want all this electronic &HIT put on our cars... we want to go from a to b and fix it when it goes wrong, not return to dealer..

fitted my winter wheels, and it turns out that the gen 2 connect has valve sensors in the cars to warn you when it gets low... pressure

so now it throws up a malfunction.. i refuse to pay £80 for four sensors when i got a perfectly good pair of eyes and a good feel for steering..

I hope ford can disable this electronically via the on board computer... ive just got rid of my fleet of VW vans because of all the electrical problems and unfixable problems unless you return to dealer.. :rant2:

• 1 month later...

Andrew, you are fine to feel that way. However, just today, I saw a vehicle (Ford Explorer, no less) with an obviously low tire driving by as I was stopped at a light. It was so low, my wife even said something out loud. So, after Ford had the problem with the under inflated tires on the Explorer failing, you really think Ford will delete the TPS?

Soon, every car will have to have back up cameras, too.

Edited by bikinchris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder what happened to the ABS based tire pressure sensing, phasing out? It's probably not as precise as valve sensors but will alert you when there's a circumference change in the wheel.

The ABS based system went away on GM vehicles, at least, about 10 years ago. It was less sensitive, slower reacting, and could be a bitch to reset sometimes.

• 2 years later...

Even with regular pressure checking things happen.

2 times so far has my tire pressure warning system talked to me,

each time was on the Interstate at 75 to 80 mph.

Was a puncture both times and I was able to slow down and exit the Interstate safely without tire damage.

because I was warned BEFORE the tire deflated.

If your lucky you go flat, but If not so lucky the tire blows as the sidewalls heat up with

low pressure. Fender damage is expensive as Is wheel damage.

I think the TP warning system Is a very smart Idea.

Edited by Osco

17 hours ago, Osco said:

I think the TP warning system Is a very smart Idea.

Some people would rather suffer the worst case scenario.  A blowout is preferred, in lieu of safety features.

When the safety pin was invented, those same people would have argued that it wasn't needed.  They have eyes.  They could see the pin stabbing their infant through the diaper.  They could have seen the blood and heard the infant crying.  

On 2/3/2016 at 2:40 PM, Mikeeshaq said:

What went to the moon had less computing power than today's vehicles.

Your phone has more technology, than what went to the moon.  But do you really believe that man actually went to the moon?  ?:yahoo:?

GBL, you are absolutely correct.  Actually, a lot more should be made available to the owner of the vehicle.  Wouldn't a lot of us like to be able to see real time temperatures, and diagnostic values?  Maybe even see the Diagnostic Trouble Code instead of just a "check engine light".    Since OBD II protocol became a standard in 96 or 97, people have been buying code readers, software, OBD II to USB cables, ScanGauge, SCT LiveWire, HonData, and everything else to allow them to view information which is already on the vehicle.  I'm sure that there are very good reasons why they don't want the owner to have access to this information.  Every manufacturer has the technology to allow us to read the information.  

When I bought my van (2016 model) I remember seeing the tire pressures in the screen but have not been able to access again.  My Volt is happy to show the tire pressures in the dash display.  I agree with you Fifty150 but think most drivers don't care.  They want to just get in a turn the key and go.  Amazing how complex the technology is in our society today and how few folks know how anything works.

I hope TPMS becomes mandatory on every vehicle sold, and soon.  You can destroy the carcass of a modern tire by driving with it only a few pounds low  -  For sure not low enough for the driver to have a clue that it's too low.  While the tire is essentially destroyed on the inside, it still looks fine on the outside, so the driver eventually puts air in it and goes on his/her merry way . . . . with a ticking time bomb just waiting to blow out and cause a major accident . . . . which could kill ME!  -  An innocent motorist coming at you in the other lane when your tire blows

Any innovation which can save innocent lives from the negligence of other drivers should be mandatory IMO.  I'll be glad when it happens

Don

• 7 months later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:21 AM, Beta Don said:

I hope TPMS becomes mandatory on every vehicle sold, and soon. 

TPMS became law about a decade ago.  My 2007 F-150 has TPMS.  

About 1,540,000 results (0.47 seconds) 

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Beware tire sensor law. ... Since then the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has clarified the law so that it is also illegal ($10,000 fine) for them to even do that. So if you have a vehicle that is equipped with the TPMS, be prepared to either buy the sensors or not have your winter tires mounted.Dec 12, 2012

People also ask

Is it illegal to remove TPMS sensors?

Is TPMS required when replacing tires?

Will my car pass inspection with TPMS light on?

How much does it cost to replace a TPMS sensor?

Web results

Apr 20, 2017 - Step one: Ask every customer if their TPMS warning light is on. ... Raise your hand and repeat after me, “I will always ask my customer if their vehicle’s tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) warning light is on and I will always double check and document this before ever ...

A tire-pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is an electronic system designed to monitor the air ... Japan is expected to adopt European Union legislation approximately one year after European Union implementation. Further countries to make ...

TPMS Legislation - In 2000 6.5 million tires were recalled due to tread separation on automobiles in the US. ... So all vehicles described in the ruling, made or sold in the US must have Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems by Model Year 2008. ... Bartec are world leaders in TPMS (Tire ...

Tpms Law found in: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensors for Your Car, Do You Need TPMS Sensors?, Wheel Tech Information - State TPMS..

Tire pressure monitoring system means a system that detects when one or more of a vehicle's tires is significantly under-inflated and illuminates a low tire ...

Oct 16, 2013 - A different perspective on TPMS systems and rules yields new questions that need answers.

What would be the cost of this kit? Tried to find the cost but Google results were vague at best.

I'll comply with this when:

1. It becomes very inexpensive

2. A sensor is designed for older wheels

3. No "re-learning" is required

4. Possibly when hell freezes over

I keep a close watch on my air pressure manually. Have a set of wheels with sensors and one broke while remounting tires, had it replaced at the tire shop and it did not work. My other wheels simply don't have them. I ignore the occasional beep and info display and the flashing light that goes to steady on after a few moments.

Just because they're asking that much, it doesn't mean that they're getting it.

I bought a wheel with an offer of $50.  Seller paid shipping.  Those OEM wheels sold by salvage yards are still less expensive than buying a new wheel from a dealer. As long as you don't mind that it came off a van which was wrecked.  Sort of like vintage clothes.  You don't care about wearing a dead guy's pants.

Screenshot_20191026-165333.png

I think that you can contact the sellers on eBay, and make offers or negotiate.  Especially if the seller is a real business.  Looks like some of the sellers are auto junk yards.  I would look them up, give them a call, and maybe even buy some other parts that you might be looking for.  Like an extended height camper roof.

image.thumb.png.574455bfea980b10ab8e01adc8963242.png

image.thumb.png.fadddf3c15c791e38d9b1e9aae3c1adf.pngimage.png.49e7ff908ddcf4f7f43cf96b36a517a7.png

Edited by Fifty150