Ford Transit Connect Forum

TPMS Failure

leisurebob

I have a 2010 Transit Connect with 24,000 miles that has been remarkably trouble-free. However, recently the TPMS alarm has been on continuously. After checking air pressure in the tires numerous times and finding the pressure at or above the recommended pressures listed on the door pillar and after twice successfully resetting the TPMS system in accordance with the procedure in the Owner's Guide, the TPMS alarm is still on. I now believe there is a failure somewhere in the system. Perhaps the most likely source of the problem is a decayed battery in one or more of the tire sensors. I read on one website that the batteries typically last about 3-5 years.

I have looked on the Ford website for parts and find new sensors (part 1A189) available for $90.02 each, presumably a total of $270 plus labor for replacement. That would go a long ways toward buying a new set of tires.

I suppose I could do nothing and accept the continuous TPMS alarm. Do I have any other alternatives beside going to Ford and having all 4 TPMS sensors replaced? Could the problem be something other than the sensors?

Bob in NC

To respond to Mustang's reference to an Amazon offer for sale, this Amazon ad says it is a used sensor. Do I really want buy used sensors if they have batteries in them that only last 5 years? How old might the sensors be? Seems like I would do well to find new sensors with the latest possible production date.

Also, I note that my estimated cost from Ford should have been $360 plus labor rather than $270 plus labor. Don't know why I was multiplying by 3 rather than 4.

leisurebob, can you get a touble code out of the system? Ther are 20 trouble codes that a malfunctioning TPMS system can throw, many of them do not include a problem with the sensors.

Read this forum entry of mine back in 2012 on how to display trouble codes using the LCD readout on your dash.

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/636-fuel-mileage-display/?hl=dash#entry4606

Here are the codes, B106D/B106E/B106F/B1217/B1218/B1317/B1342/B1359/B1363/B2477/B2868/B2869/B2870/B2871/B2872/B287A/C2780/U0155/U2023/U2050. Use Google to find out what each refer to.

I would not want you to spend money on sensors and their install only to find out the warning light is still on!!

Edited by 103west43rd

Thank you, 103west43rd, for the procedure to find trouble codes ... and much additional information. I followed your procedure and had displayed DTC "C127".

I have attempted to Google the code and have not found anything useful. You mention there are 20 potential TPMS trouble codes. Do I have one of them?

Thanks for your help!

Also, mustang, I am continuing to look for a bargain on TPMS sensors through the Internet in case this turns out to be the problem. $16 each for Ford sensors sounds like bargain. Thanks.

103west43rd,

I have repeated this interrogation sequence three times now today with the same result. After getting the gauge test, I press the trip odometer reset button 8 more times and get the message "dtc" followed by "C127". That sequence continues until I either remove the key or press the trip odometer reset button again to move on through the interrogation sequence. I have taken photographs of the instrument cluster with the "dtc" and "C127" but have so far been unable to post them here.

Any other ideas?

leisurebob, I just checked my 2010 Transit Connect. It also displays "C127" after DTC. I just scanned for trouble codes using a external scanner and nothing came up. Let me see if I can find anything else on "C127".

One more possiblity. If the TPMS warning light flashes for about 70 seconds and then remains on, it is not the sensors, it is a indicator of no communication to the controller network from the TPMS and no trouble code is created.

Edited by 103west43rd

103west43rd,

With two out of two suffering from C127, it would seem that C127 must be inherent with the vehicle.

I also checked my 2010 Transit Connect with an external UltraGauge tool connected to the OBDII access point and have had no trouble codes show up, although that system specifically specifies it is checking engine trouble codes.

I checked this morning and the TPMS warning light flashes for precisely 70 seconds after start up and then changes to a steady light, exactly as you note. It would appear that I have the TPMS-to-controller network communication issue. Any idea what the resolution to that problem would be?

Thanks for your continuing support!

leisurebob, not good news. The repair for what seems to be your issue involves multiple tests of wiring and components in the TPMS system. Plus, even though you are not displaying a trouble code, it could still be one of your sensors. If Ford was troubleshooting your issue, they could download the past history of your TPMS and see what and when and where the issue started. There does not seem to be any easy diagnosis. I will continue to look.

Mustang, this report may account for your price on Amazon........

Ford worker in Ohio charged with stealing tire sensors, selling them on eBay, report says

December 11, 2015 - 9:58 am ET

A Cleveland-area auto worker has been indicted for allegedly stealing thousands of tire sensors at a Ford plant and selling them on eBay, causing a brief interruption in vehicle production, according to a local media report.

According to a report on the website of Newsnet 5, an ABC affiliate TV station in Cleveland, Joseph Jankulovich, 48, of Sheffield, Ohio, faces felony theft and receiving stolen property charges related to his alleged theft of Ford OEMS tire sensors from Ford's Avon Lake assembly plant.

An Avon Lake police detective told the TV station that, based on records, he estimated approximately 5,000 sensors were sold, while “Ford estimates they were missing around 8,000.”

The detective said the parts cost auto dealers up to $100 but were allegedly sold all over the world on eBay by the suspect, who charged customers in the $10 to $20 range. He added that the auto parts “were sold internationally,” including to Germany, and “it was a very good value to buy this at the price he was selling them,” Newsnet 5 reported.

The station noted that at one point so many sensors were missing from the factory Ford was forced to halt production briefly. “That’s basically what got the attention of [Ford] calling me,” the police detective told Newsnet 5. “They had them flown from Michigan to get the line moving again.”

A Ford spokeswoman declined to comment because the matter remains the subject of an ongoing investigation.

It was not clear if other plant workers were under investigation.

The report said that over a period of time police made several purchases of the tire sensors, tracing them back to the vehicle plant and to Jankulovich.

Police said Ford estimated the value of the items stolen at more than $500,000, according to the TV station.

The Avon Lake plant, which opened in 1974, currently produces E-series strip chassis and F-650/750 medium-duty trucks.

Automotive News.

Edited by 103west43rd

that's a very interesting story.

you would think with the high cost of spare parts they would be checking employees leaving the plant more carefully.

maybe they do and this guy got around the system.

Some of my customer's manufacturing plants use airport style x-ray sensors going out the door.

wonder how this dude smuggled the parts out.

Mustang better edit his post quickly before he gets a knock on the door ;)

As I have now gone several weeks with a lighted TPMS warning on the dash, every week seems to have dulled the impact of having the light on. I am thinking after another month or two, it may not bother me at all. Perhaps when time comes to replace tires, I may revisit this issue again (possibly taking it to a Ford dealer) but for now I will live with the light coming on at each startup. Thanks to all, particularly to 103west43rd, for your helpful advice.

Santa Claus lives! Continuing with the saga, when I operated the Transit Connect today there was no TPMS indicator light on .... as it has been for over a month. It never came on during driving. I started and turned off the vehicle several times with the same result, the TPMS light never came on. Whatever caused the light to come on has disappeared.

The indicator light is still functional as it shows up briefly in the startup sequence.

Although completely confused, I am pleased.

Terrific! I am glad we worked through the trouble shooting. I am glad you did not spend money on sensors thst were not needed. So, it looks like whatever connectivity issue the sensors had was resolved. Bad/loose connector/cable somewhere? Fixed by hitting a pothole? It does not matter, I am glad it is back working. Enjoy your Transit Connect.

Edited by 103west43rd

Santa Claus lives! Continuing with the saga, when I operated the Transit Connect today there was no TPMS indicator light on .... as it has been for over a month. It never came on during driving. I started and turned off the vehicle several times with the same result, the TPMS light never came on. Whatever caused the light to come on has disappeared.

The indicator light is still functional as it shows up briefly in the startup sequence.

Although completely confused, I am pleased.

I guess that's good news.

Would it be a good idea to remove air from each tire, one at a time, to verify the TPMS is triggered and then verify it goes away after the air is set to spec?

just a thought.

Just changed the wheels and tires for the winter. The proceedure in the owners manual put the car in training mode but it would not train the sensors. I went on line to this web site . https://tpmsdirect.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/tpms-relearn-procedures-ford-lincoln-mazda-mercury/ The proceedure outlined worked like a charm.

As for the Batteries in the sensors any good tire shop or workshop should have a tool like a Autel 401 trigger tool that triggers the sensors to signal the car's computer. The tool also reads the tire pressure, sensor Id number, battery state and the temp.

The fact that a dealership ,tire shop or repair shop has any trouble checking the tpms sensors would be more than enough reason

find a different site for service