Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear storage

thx138

I love having all the room in my wagon but dont like the lack of storage. So I had a plan to build a platform and drawer combo. The top is 43" wide and 36" deep with 250lb drawer slides, there are 2 storage totes on the drivers side and their messurements are 25" x 17-9/16" x 9". the platform is about 2" lower than the second row folded down as in the pictures, i will be building a small box to bridge the gap between the starge and seat then having a 2" foam cussion made so my dogs have room to lay back there.

2015-10-25%2015.15.08_zpsjj1lrp5u.jpg

2015-10-25%2015.15.55_zpslba0scq2.jpg

2015-10-25%2015.16.14_zps3g2cd5lw.jpg

Pretty sweet set-up! I've had ideas twirling around in my head for my panel van for better storage and organization. For now, I'm using a mid-size pick-up aluminum toolbox that's strapped long-ways into the van so it doesn't move around. My plans are to create an aluminum diamondplate bulkhead & custom toolbox in the back - I should pick-up some sheets of cardboard or Lauan plywood to test-fit and create templates...

Any plans to fill-in the gaps on the sides so your dogs don't get their legs stuck? Maybe some of the panel rigid insulation from Home Depot/etc cut down to fill the gap perfectly? My old Doberman got himself caught in my extended-cab Ranger once, so that's why I ask :)

I didn't get notification of replies to this tread so sorry for being late.

Pretty sweet set-up! I've had ideas twirling around in my head for my panel van for better storage and organization. For now, I'm using a mid-size pick-up aluminum toolbox that's strapped long-ways into the van so it doesn't move around. My plans are to create an aluminum diamondplate bulkhead & custom toolbox in the back - I should pick-up some sheets of cardboard or Lauan plywood to test-fit and create templates...

Any plans to fill-in the gaps on the sides so your dogs don't get their legs stuck? Maybe some of the panel rigid insulation from Home Depot/etc cut down to fill the gap perfectly? My old Doberman got himself caught in my extended-cab Ranger once, so that's why I ask :)

I plan on using foam to fill the gaps on the sides once everything else is complete.

Very nice, where did you get the sliding hinge and hardware?

The slides came from Rockler and the latches from Amazon.

nice job - I like the modular design and craftsmanship.

do you plan to finish it for added protection?

PS - I'm behind in the times. I had to search out who Chewie is.

It will be carpeted once completed.

Looks great!

Is the box bolted in somehow?

Yes it is mounted to the holes where the third row seats bolt down.