Ford Transit Connect Forum

rough idle

connectkid

my connect starts fine, runs fine on the highway and drives well at low speeds. However, when its idling, it sounds labored or as if it is a misfire. but no code comes on for a missfire and the service computer says everything is fine. do any of yours do this?

I did find the engine noise and vibration fairly noticeable in my new 2015 TC wagon when I first got it. I too was a bit concerned but all seems fine. After looking at how deeply then engine compartment protrudes under the dash area, I think that's the difference from most of my prior vehicles. It's almost like the old 70's van my folks had when I was growing up with the big engine cover between the front seats. With the engine sorta half in and half out of the passenger area, there's less "outside" area for any noise and vibration to escape to, so more of it makes it inside. But that's just a guess on my part.

Does the way the car feels change if you shift from drive to neutral ? The in gear idle quality 4 cylinder engines with automatic transmissions is noticeably rougher then 6 or 8 cylinder engines with Automatic transmissions.

Mine has the same labored idle when the car is stopped and in gear.

I actually think the idle is pretty quiet in my van - 2.5L standard engine - cargo version.

when you first turn it on, it's a little tinny sounding (I think that might be the cat converter) but once warmed up and with the windows closed, it's hard to hear the engine, almost like a hybrid.

I actually think the idle is pretty quiet in my van - 2.5L standard engine - cargo version.

when you first turn it on, it's a little tinny sounding (I think that might be the cat converter) but once warmed up and with the windows closed, it's hard to hear the engine, almost like a hybrid.

I agree with windguy

my van (2014 LWB cargo)is so quiet sometimes I have to look at the tach when it's idling in driveway to confirm it's actually running

the other day I got sidetracked and the wife came in and asked why the van was running , it was so quiet I didn't even realize it was.

it used to sound like a misfire : I could even see the rpm go up to 1000 then fall again to 750 then climb back up to 1000. However, the last two days it seems to have completely worked itself out. it begam running smooth even at idle. I hope it keeps up

• 4 years later...
On 10/23/2015 at 7:30 PM, connectkid said:

my connect starts fine, runs fine on the highway and drives well at low speeds. However, when its idling, it sounds labored or as if it is a misfire. but no code comes on for a missfire and the service computer says everything is fine. do any of yours do this?

Did you ever figure that out?? I have the '14 Connect 2.5 and at idle is stumbles slightly like it coughs a little and cant figure it out. Ive changed, plugs,filter gas cleaner nothing works..