Ford Transit Connect Forum

Gen 2 - Recirculation Control

windguy

long story short the recirculation control doesn't work if you have the ducting set to defrost.

I'm sure this is explained in the manual but I'm still saving that exercise for a rainy day, hopefully soon.

I had left the ducting on defrost the previous trip and not realizing this, I couldn't get the recirculation switch to come on.

Was convinced it had broken until my return trip home I noticed the ducting was left on defrost and moved it to the regular position I use and the light came on, both on the recirc switch and my feeble brain. I'd prefer to have the recirc option for defrost.

• 3 months later...

In defrost mode, you are trying to remove moisture from the air. Having the re-circulation mode on is only going to prolong the time it takes.

Fastest way to remove fog from the inside of the vehicle is to turn on the AC, as backwards as that sounds. The AC blows DRY air.

• 3 years later...
On 10/3/2015 at 4:32 PM, windguy said:

I'd prefer to have the recirc option for defrost.

I would too, but it seems to be nanny'd out on both of my recent cars... possibly there's a rule somewhere that defrost has to select outside air, which admittedly can be somewhat more effective for defrost which admittedly is a safety-critical function.  (Though as Bob notes, by far the most effective defrost is to get the A/C pulling water out of the air.)

When I can, I drive with the defrost vents selected and outside air coming in, as it gives a more diffuse flow of face-level air than selecting the dash vents.  But it's always nice to have recirc available for those moments when something smoky or stinky pulls out in front of you... quite maddening to be rolling up on a black cloud of diesel spew and have the HVAC refusing to close the outside intakes!

• 1 month later...