Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Wagon - do it all work van. my mods

My connect is a Uk spec connect tourneo (tourneo is the USA wagon equivalent )

its a 2014 titanium in magnetic grey. 1.6 TDCI i purchased it with 9,000 miles..

the vehicle is to replace two work vehicles.. a nissan primastar van, and my lovely volvo v50 2.0d.. combining the requirements of two vehicles into one was not an easy task to find a suitable vehicle...

My nissan primastar van was used to transport building materials to my guys on construction sites, both in the back load area and towing my ifor williams tipper trailer.

the volvo was used as second family transport (2 kids), my choice of vehicle for visiting clients for my Architectural business, and general duties into towns and trips to to the french Alps for winter skiing and summer cycling....

I looked at several vehicles for not a short amount of time, and i will bore you with this process and how i ended up with the connect..

I was going to purchase the commercial kombi van version with crew seats, but strangely once i realised they did a passenger version and that the passenger vehicle worked out similar money, and includes much more creature comforts and niceties that would work better when in volvo v50 replacement duty it was a no brainer decision..

The 3rd row of rear seats was not a requirement and i intended to remove these.... but due to the how nicely they fold.. im going to leave them in..

My mods were to be primarily undertaken to enable use as replacement van , whilst maintaining the option of family/hobby use second..

vehicle as purchased pics sent to me as by dealer..

post-5129-0-45941500-1443238652_thumb.jp

post-5129-0-82927500-1443238656_thumb.jp

post-5129-0-03027100-1443238661_thumb.jp

post-5129-0-76484500-1443238664_thumb.jp

Mod lists to do..

Front Seat covers

make loading platform in back that folds up and down to protect and hide seats.

install crate load holding down system/

purchase new winter tyres & alloy wheels.

fit tow bar ball & electrics.

design company sign writing (orange)... or modify existing magnetic signs removed from other vehicles.

purchase front rubber floor mats

fit mudflaps front and back

powder coat original wheels black

paint brake calipers orange - just to add some detail

install diesel chip/remap for even more economy & torque ( had one of these on my other diesels hoping for 60MPG on this...)

fit front window wind deflector thingies (climair / heko)

think thats about it for now..

im looking at these two wheels in 16" with nokian wr4 tyres that are new out this winter.

monaco gp or wolfrace eurosports

the mock up van visualiser is with the eurosports..

with orange brack calipers :) that will match my company orange logos.. when added..

im going to stick with the 16" for comfort, and cost... we have some rubbish roads in places with some rather deep potholes... despite the gov't taking my hard earned in taxes they never seemed to get fixed up properly...

im leaning toward the monaco's as they have a little more profile and in the pictures they look a little more pleasing... was looking for a matt black, but then thought that the gloss ones will be matt black the first day it rains and the road spray gets on em anyway :)

post-5129-0-92302900-1443240350_thumb.jp

post-5129-0-30815000-1443240406_thumb.jp

post-5129-0-52692700-1443240577_thumb.jp

Edited by Andrew James

thanks dongoose, strangely when i click on your link it takes me to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-35260-Plastic-Fastener-Remover/dp/B0002SRCMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444066637&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic%20rivet%20tool

what on earths going on there..... im curious to look at your juke now tho...

do you have one on order yet.... i cant fault ours yet.. ive built my removable platform in the back..(will post up pics). last week i was hauling building materials via trailer and in the back..

on sunday took 6 family members on a civilised ride out to the coast to lunch.. and this morning was back to work mode full of building materials... now that is a all purpose vehicle for sure :)

thanks dongoose, strangely when i click on your link it takes me to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-35260-Plastic-Fastener-Remover/dp/B0002SRCMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444066637&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic%20rivet%20tool

what on earths going on there..... im curious to look at your juke now tho...

do you have one on order yet.... i cant fault ours yet.. ive built my removable platform in the back..(will post up pics). last week i was hauling building materials via trailer and in the back..

on sunday took 6 family members on a civilised ride out to the coast to lunch.. and this morning was back to work mode full of building materials... now that is a all purpose vehicle for sure :)

Doh...I must have pasted the wrong link...try THIS ONE. LOL!

just fitted one of these

http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/carspecs2?carid=6644

was a real pain to fit due to the reverse engine layout .. I had to remove the air filter, battery, battery box, then get a mirror down the back of the engine to find the plugs to swap out.. a few cups of tea, three hours later all done..and like all things is about an hours job once you know what you are doing...

i ve had it on for a few days now, the extra torque low down makes super smooth driving, cant comment on the mpg as been towing a loaded trailer for a few days but computer shower 43mpg at present...

the diesel engine had a little turbo lag from the off and this device has cured it, which is all i wanted to achieve.. its now around 150bhp and 300nm torque with the standard setting... which is compromise between more power and more mpg...

thumbs up so far..

there are quite a few options around..

wheels are these.. made in germany

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels/monaco/grand-prix-3352/7x16-et45-5x108-63.4-132369

tyres are these made in finland

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wr-d4/205-60-r16-96h-353982

both are available in 17" versions... but the black wheels and tyres make them look a real good fit, plus you get a smooooth ride:)

cheers

Andy

yes its a tipper :) on my bigger vans i could load it with two tonne of stone... but the connect is rated lower....tend to get most of those goods delivered now anyway.. so its only used for moving bigger sized items, my aluminium tower or long lengths of timber..

pulls it lovely... very stable with plenty of power the diesel has bags of torque..

Aj

Looks like a cool rig Hope that trailer has Brakes

Windguy remember its an imperial gallon 20% bigger, here is the review of the Tourneo Connect

http.//www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufactures/ford/10468169/Ford-Tourneo Connect-review.html

Let Me know if the link works

Try this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/ford/10468169/Ford-Tourneo-Connect-review.html

The MacPherson-strut front suspension might be from the Focus/C-Max, but the Tourneo doesn't have that car's directional stability

Not sure about Gen2 but mine is extremely stable and precise in steering, apart from side wind, of course.

Edited by mrtn

The gen 2 handles very well. I think that the comparison was with the car .

I think that the added hight would make a formula one type of suspension have less Directional Stability.

As for the side wind, its a box pay attention