Ford Transit Connect Forum

Running TC at idle

Candlestick

We recently bought a TC to replace our Roadtrek for local runs around town. We have as small dog we leave in the car and we wanted to have a way to air condition the car while we were shopping or at a movie (say a maximum of 3 hours at a time). Using 110v air conditioners have evaluated having six deep cycle batteries (heavy, expensive) a portable generator (fairly expensive, but cannot run inside vehicle, pilferable outside) and solar (requires less batteries but more holes). Then it just dawned on me, what if I just let the TC run at idle with the car's A/C on? Temperatures around here can hit 95-100F. Any anticipated problems letting TC idle that long? Any fuel consumption estimate?

We recently bought a TC to replace our Roadtrek for local runs around town. We have as small dog we leave in the car and we wanted to have a way to air condition the car while we were shopping or at a movie (say a maximum of 3 hours at a time). Using 110v air conditioners have evaluated having six deep cycle batteries (heavy, expensive) a portable generator (fairly expensive, but cannot run inside vehicle, pilferable outside) and solar (requires less batteries but more holes). Then it just dawned on me, what if I just let the TC run at idle with the car's A/C on? Temperatures around here can hit 95-100F. Any anticipated problems letting TC idle that long? Any fuel consumption estimate?

Your kidding right?

who in there right mind would leave a dog in a car for 3 hours so you can shop?

Leave your poor dog at home OMG I have a jack russell and would never think of leaving her in my TC during the summer motor on or not.

You better hope the SPCA dosn't find your car with your dog in it you should end up in jail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your kidding right?

who in there right mind would leave a dog in a car for 3 hours so you can shop?

Leave your poor dog at home OMG I have a jack russell and would never think of leaving her in my TC during the summer motor on or not.

You better hope the SPCA dosn't find your car with your dog in it you should end up in jail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since our home burned in the 2007 San DIego fires, we've realized that the fire officials can restrict access to your residence as a fire approaches. We rebuilt on the same spot as fires are infrequent, but we are not willing to have our dog burned to death, so take her with us everywhere. Hope that provides a little context.

• 9 years later...

Hello Candlestick (somewhat ironic) was looking for post reflecting portable a/c in FTC's when I ran across your inquiry about fuel consumption and uh...you know, leaving your loved one(s) in the vehicle with the a/c on. I have been a life-long resident (or at least maintained a residence) of the Deep South and cant begin to remember the amount of times we (me and your pick of my ex-wives) enjoyed an array of activities i.e. dinning out while our pets (Boston Bulls and Great Danes) slept comfortably and safely secured in a locked climate controlled FORD vehicle!

I will however suggest that one should check periodically on the vehicle at your discretion.