Ford Transit Connect Forum

TC Wagon camper

Anyone seen a TC LWB wagon made into a camper/multi purpose van?

Just wondering if that would be a better route than a LWB cargo.

pros: rear air outlets, removable seats/configurations, sunroof and other options, lots of windows, better resale?

cons: uneven floor deck due to the seats, reduced space due to all the plastic paneling and rear ac ducting, more expensive

What do you guys think? Any other positives/negatives to using a TC wagon?

Thanks,

-J

Thanks for that, but I am talking about a "wagon" (aka passenger) version verses a cargo van.

I have seen maybe 10 of the cargo versions converted into campers, but none of the wagons.

Also, I plan on it being my daily driver so mpg's are a concern. Otherwise I'd go with one of these: http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowned-sportsmobile-texas-inc/

Love those conversions. Can you buy these shelving parts for newer models somewhere of are those custom made?

They are custom made in-house at each of the sportsmobile locations. I read somewhere that sportsmobile made the edelweiss campers on the TC for an rv rental company. http://www.campervannorthamerica.com/campervans-edelweiss.shtml

I built a platform for my 2014 LWB TC yesterday. Mine is less tricked out storage wise than the one linked to on Craigslist, but my platform folds so that you can use the middle row of seats even when you are carrying the platorm. The platform takes about a minute to set up (which looks like 45 seconds longer than the CL model).

Regarding the Wagon vs. Van: If I was using the vehicle only as a camper, I'd go for the Van. The most difficult detail of the wagon is that it has humps where the middle seats are attached. That makes things uneven if you have a square frame. It's not really a problem, but if I had my choice, a flat cargo floor would obviously be easier. The plastic molding is also a bit annoying. There seems to be a decent amount of space behind the molding where they have the fuse box and the jack. I'd like that space back. I had to cut down my 4 foot wide plywood by 2 inches when making the platform. I'm not entirely sure if the van has more attachment points save for mounts where the seat belts are, but if they do, that would be useful too.

Advantages to the wagon: Seats for more than 2 people. Everyday practicality as a people mover. I imagine that it's quieter with the extra sound deadening material. I don't use my TC as a camper that often, so being able to pull out the platform and have a 5-7 passenger vehicle is great. I don't have the sunroof, but if you can add it, that would be a pretty view at night.

Love those conversions. Can you buy these shelving parts for newer models somewhere of are those custom made?

Haha thought you were talking about the sportsmobiles. My bad, there are a few options for the shelving units. I have seen some on ebay go as a package deal, also on craigslist. I can find the links if you need them.

My 2014 LWB Wagon camper conversion:

My goals were to create something that my wife and I could sleep in on trips to bike, ski, see things, etc. but not have it compromise everyday functionality (so no built in cabinets or removal of all the seats).

So my work plan:

Part 1. Rear half of platform

1. Unbolt and remove rear two seats.

2. Create an 18in high frame out of 1x3s the fits in the area behind the back seats.

3. Hinge a piece of plywood to fit on top of this

Part 2. Front half of platform

This is trickier as it has to move out of the way, so can't be fully built in, plus the folded seats aren't as flat as the rear floor, so there is that to deal with. The roof isn't high enough to just have the front half of the platform fold up from the back in one piece but it needs to be rigid.

My solution was to create a framed hinged section that hinges in on itself from the frame side, so when there is weight on top of it, it can't collapse in on itself as the track of the hinge runs the frame of each half into the other. I should have took a better picture of this, but if it's not clear, I'll do so later.

To hold the frame up, I use hooked cam straps that hook under the front of the frame and then to the head rests of the front seat. I'm going to add some small legs that will take a bit of weight off of the straps, but it's more for redundancy than any real worry.

To connect the front part of the platform to the back, I created a gap in the rear frame that's just over the width of a 1x3. I then screwed a 1x3 coming off the underside of the front section of the platform. It slides into the gap and things are locked up very tightly.

Pictures coming in the next post.

20003998511_9a6a6aa018_b.jpg

Note the straps attached to the front seats. You can also kind of see the hinge mechanism in the middle:

19376146204_c80f45ea23_b.jpg

Full platform from the back with a bit of frame view:

19376146284_91747bb673_b.jpg

Fits pretty nicely. We'll have some of those interlocking foam squares on top eventually so we shouldn't feel the hinges, though they're pretty far to the side anyway.

19810699368_a509306a76_b.jpg

Hinged back panel. We did this more so we could still sit on the back of the floor than for cargo access. We like to go to drive ins. I considered hinging the panel down so that it would serve as a backrest, but decided the complication wouldn't be worth it.

19810781210_bdcd67260e_b.jpg

Front hinge panel. This one is for cargo access. I'll probably put the cooler and possibly the water jug here.

19810699528_c5c5d97e5a_b.jpg

The underside of the front panel and the slot in the frame that it fits into:

19998779055_ca821c6c57_b.jpg

Underside of the cargo area. I should have put the seatbelts above the plaform...

19810781430_3b476c57cf_b.jpg

Edited by MarcusBrody

Middle seats back up and front platform packed. We'll use the space inside the flatform (it's framed with 1x4s, so there's a bit of space in there). The platform is rigid, so I'm contemplating adding a set of longer folding legs and letting it double as a pull out table. The folded platform section can be stowed on top of either the front or back half of the rear plaform, so you can access either of the folding sections.

19377799963_3fd3ee236f_b.jpg

One last shot to show that having the plaform in the van has no affect on the functionality of the center row of seats.

19377800053_2dd3c5520a_b.jpg

thanks for sharing detailed pics and description.

great job in designing and building that. good engineering and maximizing space.

looks like it's ready to be road tested.

keep us posted on your next addition. windows coverings?

thanks for sharing detailed pics and description.

great job in designing and building that. good engineering and maximizing space.

looks like it's ready to be road tested.

keep us posted on your next addition. windows coverings?

Yep, window coverings are the next addition. First mosquito netting that will cover the side windows and open tailgate, then blackout insulated coverings (probably made from reflectix either painted black on oneside or with oneside covered with black felt. That front windshield is ample. It could take some doing to cover that space. Anyone done it/have any advice?

Thanks for the pics, looks very well thought out and built.

I plan on fabbing some window covers using reflectix also. I have not yet found any with black on one side but will probably paint it if not. Lots of stuff via google/youtube on making them for just this purpose. I have seen a bunch of good DIY-camper ideas on pinterest also. I thought it was just for women's clothing and crafts but it actually has a bunch of other useful things on there too...

Yep, window coverings are the next addition. First mosquito netting that will cover the side windows and open tailgate, then blackout insulated coverings (probably made from reflectix either painted black on oneside or with oneside covered with black felt. That front windshield is ample. It could take some doing to cover that space. Anyone done it/have any advice?

sounds good. keep us posted.

I got a regular sun shade that reflective material going to the outside and white on the inside. does a pretty good job in keep the sun out.

there are few pics in my gallery for this.

for camping, I might consider some type of curtain between the cab area and the cargo area unless you don't like that closed in feeling.

Sun shade 02

• 1 year later...

Am I the only one who does it the old fashion way?  I simply fold down my seats, and go to sleep in there.  If I go in the truck, I lay in the truck bed.  I have friends who bring along air mattresses and yoga mats.  But I just lay down and sleep.  When i camped in Jeeps, where I didn't have the luxury of such a long, flat surface, I slept outside on the floor.  Sleeping out under the stars,  drinking beer, shooting guns, making the new guy stay up all night, with a rifle, guarding against wild animals, then drawing on his face with a Sharpie when he finally passes out. That's kind of what camping out is about.  

Edited by Fifty150

Naturally. Does your wife subscribe to that? :)

I'm yet to test sleeping in the new TC. It's long enough for that but there's a long winter ahead.

Back in the bachelor days I had everything in the car at all times, including the cork screw, never knew where I'd end up for the night.

Fifty:  You still carry an analog phone and keep quarters handy for the pay phones??  :)

Yeah, I've folded down seats.  I've also slept on the ground with roots in my back too.  if you have the capability and you enjoy doing the work, no reason to not enjoy the fruits of your labor and have a comfortable nights sleep.

I use to stuff tarps with leaves for a mattress.  Then the light weight blow-up pads came out.  Then the self-inflating pads.   I enjoyed each improvement!

And the tarp stuff with leaves still works,  but it's even better with a self-inflating pad on top of it!  :thumbsup: 

But now?  A self-inflating double bed in a van? That might entice a warm female body to it?  THAT's an improvement!!  :clapping:

It's great that he's thinking of his wife's comfort.

@Fifty150 I'd normally agree, but here's some background for my usage.

My girlfriend & I drive 4-8 hours most Friday nights to various rock climbing areas. We typically arrive around 1am & get an alpine start by 6am. It's nice to skip the tent and sleep on a comfortable surface for those nights.

I just bought this to build it out: http://www.towneford.com/car/182771/Used_2014_Ford_Transit_Connect_Wagon_XLT

Edited by pws5068

On 1/9/2017 at 0:13 PM, pws5068 said:

Did the little flag come with the car?

Just kidding.  

Towne Ford.  So you're in the same part of the country as i am.  I've never been in that dealership.  RWC is only about 30 minutes from The City.  

Have you been driving your Transit Connect through all of the storms we've had this past week?  How's it handling the wind and wet roads for you?  Having that splash guard / fairing / gets in the way during an oil change piece of plastic tucked behind the front bumper gives me a feeling of security knowing that it's keeping water from puddles away from my engine bay.  One of my biggest fears in my Honda is water splashing up into the engine bay and disabling the vehicle by getting sucked in through the intake.  It can happen.  Little cars failing in big puddles.  You see it.  That's why I usually drive my truck in bad weather.  Even though people worry about rear wheel drives fishtailing, all those police cars and taxis seem to do okay.

Untitled 55.jpg

Edited by Fifty150