Ford Transit Connect Forum

Towing with the Transit Connect

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

I have a bicycle rack that fits into a trailer hitch on the Transit Connect. I also have the reverse sensing system. Is there a way to disable the system? Is there a fuse that I can pull out? I can't seem to find a fuse for this system in the owners manual. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a bicycle rack that fits into a trailer hitch on the Transit Connect. I also have the reverse sensing system. Is there a way to disable the system? Is there a fuse that I can pull out? I can't seem to find a fuse for this system in the owners manual. Any help would be appreciated.

This site in the UK says the Transit will tow 2800 kgs

http://www.intervans.co.uk/vans/ford/transit-connect-swb/

Dimensions - Transit Connect SWB

Overall Length:

4275mm

Overall Width:

1795mm

Overall Height:

1815mm

Wheelbase:

2664mm

Turning Circle:

11m kerb-to-kerb

Loading Height:

598mm

Rear Door Height:

1145mm

Rear Door Width:

1293mm

Load Height:

1193mm

Load Length:

1760mm

Load Width:

1226 / 1490mm

Load Volume:

2.8m3

Gross Payload:

648kg

Gross Vehicle Weight:

2040kg

Kerb Weight:

1392kg

Towing Limit:

2840kg

Fuel Tank Capacity:

60 /13.2 litres

Ford is going to have to deal with this issue better than it is with this CYA approach. We're driving the same Connect as they do in Europe and we have access to the same information as the European drivers do. U-Haul is even selling a hitch for the TC at this point. If Ford really is serious about the One Ford concept, then they need to get on the ball.

• 4 weeks later...

This site in the UK says the Transit will tow 2800 kgs

http://www.intervans.co.uk/vans/ford/transit-connect-swb/

Dimensions - Transit Connect SWB

Overall Length:

4275mm

Overall Width:

1795mm

Overall Height:

1815mm

Wheelbase:

2664mm

Turning Circle:

11m kerb-to-kerb

Loading Height:

598mm

Rear Door Height:

1145mm

Rear Door Width:

1293mm

Load Height:

1193mm

Load Length:

1760mm

Load Width:

1226 / 1490mm

Load Volume:

2.8m3

Gross Payload:

648kg

Gross Vehicle Weight:

2040kg

Kerb Weight:

1392kg

Towing Limit:

2840kg

Fuel Tank Capacity:

60 /13.2 litres

That works out to around 6400#, however the EU spec version uses a manual transmission and as best I can tell the US only gets an automatic.

Ford is going to have to deal with this issue better than it is with this CYA approach. We're driving the same Connect as they do in Europe and we have access to the same information as the European drivers do. U-Haul is even selling a hitch for the TC at this point. If Ford really is serious about the One Ford concept, then they need to get on the ball.

Agreed, because I won't buy one if I cannot at least tow 1500# or a bit more.

Aaron

• 1 month later...

That works out to around 6400#, however the EU spec version uses a manual transmission and as best I can tell the US only gets an automatic.

Agreed, because I won't buy one if I cannot at least tow 1500# or a bit more.

Aaron

I would hope the TC would tow more than my 1995 Saturn SL2 5-spd with a 1.9L Twin Cam I-4 at 240,000 miles. I'm trying to upgrade and this is at least what I need to tow. If not, I'll go back to shopping for a 4WD Jeep Patriot 2.4L 5-spd manual for less money and factory aluminum wheels.

post-339-12675852147_thumb.jpg

post-339-126758524943_thumb.jpg

post-339-126758538021_thumb.jpg

post-339-126758539172_thumb.jpg

Edited by MINICooperS

• 1 month later...

Your conversion factor is off. A kilogram is 2.2 lbs; so 2800 Kg = 1370 lbs or thereabouts. No? That should enable me to tow a small pram (boat) and motor on a trailer. I now tow with a Honda CRV and can't even tell it's back there. I really want the diesel engine and plan to build a mini-micro motor home on the Connect. Just enough for a couple days out fishing. Need some insulation to keep from freezing; some water storage; few other things.

Has anyone seen one tricked out as an RV yet?

Your conversion factor is off. A kilogram is 2.2 lbs; so 2800 Kg = 1370 lbs or thereabouts. No?

1Kg = 2.2lbs, so that means a kilogram is heavier than a pound (the equivalent of 2.20462262lbs, to be exact.)

2800Kg * 2.2 = 6160lbs. Either way, if you go by the European specs it should handle it, but if Ford US says no, it might not be in your best interest.

• 2 months later...

This concerns me as well. When I first looked at a TC I took my tape measure to see what would fit inside. My motorcycle is too long and too tall (windscreen) so I asked the salesperson about towing it. He quickly stated that a tow package would surely come along as they have them in Europe, but there were none available now.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe this. In France you see these vehicles all over the place in fact my wifes family owns one with a trailer hitch no less. They use the vehicle for there business. I am also frustrated that ford only offers one engine and transmission combination, How ridiculous. I only hope that it is to gage the American market and that soon VERY SOON they will offer what we want. This Vehicle would be perfect for me if it had a Slightly more powerful engine Towing capacity, I would also like to carry 8 feet of wood along the floor of the truck. A little less utilitarian in the front driver seat, I could end up being there for hours in my line of work. To think driving six hours to a customer in this thing on the highway does not give me the warm fuzzies. I foot would be to the floor the whole ride and i would also be concerned with the comfort of the seat as well. I am not asking for the rear seats to be more comfortable I only carry passengers on very rare occasions. Well I have aired my comments and or concerns Thank you.

I was Just at the dealership today talking with a salemen. He read a part of a manual to me, and his exact words were (Towing is not recomend with this vehicle) so its not that it cannot tow ford does not recomend it. Does this mean if I should tow a little trailer, and somthing were to happen to the engine and or transmision that ford will still honer there warranty. After all they say its not recommended not that you cannot or do not do it period.

• 1 month later...

1Kg = 2.2lbs, so that means a kilogram is heavier than a pound (the equivalent of 2.20462262lbs, to be exact.)

2800Kg * 2.2 = 6160lbs. Either way, if you go by the European specs it should handle it, but if Ford US says no, it might not be in your best interest.

I agree with your conversion factor; however, 6000 plus pounds towing capacity just does make any sense. My interpretation of the european chart is : towing limit (2840 kg) minus gross vehicle weight (2040 kg) = 800 kg. 800 kg times 2.2 lbs/kg = 1760 lbs. This sounds realistic to me.

I have had the Hitch from Uhaul fitted to my TC , a class 3 hitch with 2" receiver.

Although I will not be towing anything often .I felt that although it reads that Ford does not recomend towing

why on earth does the tc have built in holes and welded nuts to accept a hitch .

I did , just last weekend try the trailer towing thing . I have a Northern tool 5ft. X 8ft. single axle with rear drop down gate which has a 1 7/8" receiver.

it was loaded with cabinetry around 700 lbs. the van was loaded with my install tools with 2 passengers and has a roof rack fitted.

the trip was 125 mls one way mainly interstate flat land (florida) a few inclines (sunshine skyway bridge ) etc.

Cruise control was set to 65 , OD was set on . Also A/C was running .

The TC took it in its stride ,no sweat . I was counting when the transmission had to down shift , 3 times in total .

It passed my personal test of being able to handle a trailer for what I personally want .

Miles to gallon went from my normal 24 - 25 down to 21 which i think is to be exspected. Oh! I had only 2 , 272 miles on the vehicle.

I have had the Hitch from Uhaul fitted to my TC , a class 3 hitch with 2" receiver.

Although I will not be towing anything often .I felt that although it reads that Ford does not recomend towing

why on earth does the tc have built in holes and welded nuts to accept a hitch .

I did , just last weekend try the trailer towing thing . I have a Northern tool 5ft. X 8ft. single axle with rear drop down gate which has a 1 7/8" receiver.

it was loaded with cabinetry around 700 lbs. the van was loaded with my install tools with 2 passengers and has a roof rack fitted.

the trip was 125 mls one way mainly interstate flat land (florida) a few inclines (sunshine skyway bridge ) etc.

Cruise control was set to 65 , OD was set on . Also A/C was running .

The TC took it in its stride ,no sweat . I was counting when the transmission had to down shift , 3 times in total .

It passed my personal test of being able to handle a trailer for what I personally want .

Miles to gallon went from my normal 24 - 25 down to 21 which i think is to be exspected. Oh! I had only 2 , 272 miles on the vehicle.

I too have a TC and I am towing with it. I have to keep the speed down and not use the cruise control. Don't expect to travel fast and let the TC slow down when pulling a grade. It will keep up with the 18 wheelers on the hills. I have over 15,000 miles on our TC in the past three months. We use it for our business and do a lot of traveling with it. We pull a 6X 12 enclosed trailer with 300lbs tong weight. Trailer gross close to 1600#. Most of our miles are towing. You can visit our website and see what we actual do and how we are using our TC. We have a lot of photos showing that we do tow whit it. I also live in FL and have traveled to N. GA with it. I will be leaving soon taking our operations to Las Vegas NV for Interbike.

• 2 months later...

Fords UK actualy list a TC towbar in their sales catalog, part number 1-449-603

Remeber though, over here we do not have the petrol engine and auto transmision, we have 3 different 5 speed manual diesels, 75, 90, and 110.

The specs for the 110 version engine is" Grossing at 2,340kg, T230 can handle a gross payload of 898kg and haul a braked trailer grossing at 800kg"

Download an e-brouchure on the UK TC here

UK spec TC

Also, look at the ford accesory brochure, is has a few nice TC accesories.

• 1 month later...

I too have a TC and I am towing with it. I have to keep the speed down and not use the cruise control. Don't expect to travel fast and let the TC slow down when pulling a grade. It will keep up with the 18 wheelers on the hills. I have over 15,000 miles on our TC in the past three months. We use it for our business and do a lot of traveling with it. We pull a 6X 12 enclosed trailer with 300lbs tong weight. Trailer gross close to 1600#. Most of our miles are towing. You can visit our website and see what we actual do and how we are using our TC. We have a lot of photos showing that we do tow whit it. I also live in FL and have traveled to N. GA with it. I will be leaving soon taking our operations to Las Vegas NV for Interbike.

Got my Curtis hitch installed through the dealer at purchase. Will be towing first time tomorrow - 4x6 enclosed utility trailer. Probably 800-900 lb gross. We have 11k in 5 mos. And love it as a family car which my wife uses to haul around her large paintings.

• 2 weeks later...

Towed a 4x6 trailer 1000 miles this past week with absolutely no problems. Could hardly tell it was back there. Got 21 mpg loaded and 25 mpg on the return trip. This is better mileage than we used to get pulling this same trailer with a Toyota Matrix (same HP). The only wrinkle was needing to get the powered taillight converter. Installer had not used the required powered unit, the Transit's computer did not like it, and turn signals would flash fast and then no turns. No fuse was blown - after a new keystart, the system was back up, and with the proper 3:2 converter the lights work like a charm.