Ford Transit Connect Forum

Towing with the Transit Connect

proper 3:2 converter Where do you get it?

The Curt number is 56090. I got a Hopkins, don't know the number. Probably have to get over the Web or in a specialty tow shop, since the typical trinket stores (Tractor Supply, O'Reilly's, AutoZone) don't have it and they don't know what it is. You are looking for a converter that takes the separate turn/brake circuits (3) of the Transit down to the combined brake/turn circuits (2) of the trailer, but WITH an additional hot (battery) wire to supply the trailer lights, so that the trailer lights do not get powered through the Transit's turn signal circuits. The Hopkins kit was very nice, with a 20' 14 gauge battery wire. I ended up buying 20' of flexible plastic wire-covering to protect the wire and routed it through the passenger compartment, under rugs, etc. up through the firewall through one of two handy firewall rubber grommets which then feeds right into the engine compartment near the battery. Of course, you also have to locate the taillight/brake circuits in the back, which directions I think are available on the web if you google it (I did not do this part, so I can't help). Plan on spending about $100 and a couple of hours.

• 2 months later...

I feel that one must take towing with a Transit somewhat conservatively, meaning things like a gross trailer weight of 1500-1800 lbs. also, as already noted, keeping the trans. out of overdrive with the possible exception of downhills. Reason for all this conserving is that the motor and transaxle assy. are Focus products and though of good quality still a light passenger car unit. We really are talking about what kind of life should be had while towing with our Transits and my many years of automotive repair and parts tells me that driven prudently this vehicle will go a long ways, towing or not!

I think that FORD is fearful of customers loading excessively, towing ridiculous trailer weights, and resulting in breaking drive train components, engines, brakes, wheel bearings, etc. etc. The last thing Ford needs is this great design to garner a rep. for being a lemon, even if caused by a handful of not very knowledgeable owners.

Richard

Here I am again. Yes there are receiver hitches available for Transits, you might as well get a class 111 hitch as it gives you a great choice of accessories to choose from, not to mention heavier duty components and construction. Remember though, the hitch will easily do 3500 lbs, but the vehicle would split at her seams, so don`t try it!

There are a few things one can do to help the longevity of our Transits when towing light to moderate loads, such as: Changing Tranny fluid and filter more than regularly, clean effective fluid grabs better and cools better. Excessively hot tranny fluid is a big cause of breakdowns and a Transmission cooler would go a long ways towards alleviating this problem. Keep the tires pumped up. remember Red Green, we`re all in this together!!!!

Richard

• 1 month later...

Though Ford doesn't recommend putting a hitch on our Transits, I did and it works fine. Draw-Tight hitch bolted right on. The turn signal fuse did not like the extra load, so the installer got power off of the top center brake light. What I am looking for from the members is if any of you have experience pulling any weight.

Like 1000 pounds, trailer and load combined. I have a small 4 x 8' trailer and am thinking about loading it with my Kingpin Tour motorcycle, which weighs about 750lb.

Thanks in advance.

John

I thought I would give everyone an update. I now have had our TC for almost 1 year. I am towing with it. I have 50,000 miles and Have close to 40,000 mile towing. I have had to replace the tires on both the TC and Trailer. The Trailer scales at 2,000 lbs and I am still under the rear axle weight by 600lbs. For what I am doing the TC is working out great. I have gone over steep grades with it and still passed the 18 wheelers. I average 17mpg towing at 70mph. At 20,000 miles I took it in because of noise. It was diagnosed as tire noise. At 40,000 miles it turned out to be a wheel bearing and that was not from towing. Ford did cover it under warranty. I love my TC and it is doing well. It is the perfect van for what I need to perform my business with. I agree with most of you and would prefer to have a diesel engine.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
post-2155-0-28140300-1336710590_thumb.jppost-2155-0-22129500-1336710609_thumb.jp Yes you can tow with a TC! But you should not take it to the extream as I have. I have tried to attach 2 photos showing our 33' long towing combo. I will not know if they took till I post this. I have a 5'x14' cargo trailer loaded to it's limit and beyond with house hold items for our move from New Hampshire to Prince of Wales, Alaska. We are presently in Williams,Arizona. We are headed to California to visit the misus family for Mother's Day. I found out today that I did not have the spring movement I thought I had and we have to lighten the load a bit before we head north. The trailer has a 3500 lb. axle. The trailer alone weighs 880lbs. With one side dead axed, and the other close to it, the tires started wearing on the inside and will have to be replaced. My mistake in not double checking the trailer before we left. We were packing up to the last day and got focused on the move only. On the van side, it has about 1200 lbs of people, cargo, and hitch weight(324lbs).I am guessing that the trailer is sprung lighter than the axel rating. The trailer has a 1900 lb cargo capacity.I think I am now closer to 2400lbs. Add the 880lbs of trailer weight, and, you have me towing about 3300 lbs. Add the 1200 lbs in the van,and, you get 4480. That is about the weight of another TC. As I said, do not do as I did. We are getting 16-18+ mpg. Speeds are 35mph on the steep hills to 60mph on the flatter roads. Handling above 60 is not stable as sway come into being. I am super carefull with how I brake on the hills so as not to get into trouble. I had 4 years of towing a travel trailer with a 65hp diesel. The TC's 130 hp does better. I am putting this here to show an extreem example of what the TC can do. You can gage your use of it from mine.

I am writting this from Bellingham,WA. We made it with no major damage. The bias ply tires wore badly from the weight. The Radial replacements did not. Plus, they are much nicer running and do not hobby horse on concreat roads like the bias ply do. They absorbed most of the cracks and seams. We did lighten the load by about 200 lbs from one side to even the load and gain a bit of spring travel. It also brought the tounge weight down to an even 300lbs. So, after about 4,000 miles of cross country towing at altitures of 7,000"+, I can say that the TC will do most average tow jobs plus.A 2,000 lb gross should be very easy. A 3,000 lb load is possible. I do wish I has a gear between first and second. After having done this close to 4,000 lb load, I would not do it again. It is asking too much of the TC. Our Red Wagon will now make the trip tp Prince Of Wales , AK and lead a less stressfull life.

• 1 month later...

Also, look at the ford accesory brochure, is has a few nice TC accesories.

And can you please give a link to the UK accessory brochure??

I cannot find it on your link already provided.

Or does anyone else have a link to some UK accessories?

Thanks so much

jh

Edited by jimmbomb

Try www.fordpartsuk.com

They carry all the Ford accessories.

Trevor Porter handles the parts sales. A very nice guy.

I, and others on this forum, have purchased accessories from Trevor.

That is where I purchased my european third brake light that fits in the right rear door, and my hub caps for my steel wheels.

Also, try the UK Transit Forum website, www.fordtransit.org and chose the Transit Connect forum.

One of the members, valetech, even builds and sells accessories like running boards, skid plates and roof spoilers!

eBay UK also has many accessories listed for the Transit Connect.

Edited by 103west43rd

While preparing to consider doing the lights module for my 2012,

I pulled the passeanger tailight assembly out and did notice the extremely small holes in whick to pass the plugs thru..

ALSO I noticed a double wire with a small plug that was just laying there. Not hooked to anything...

Unfortunatly, I didnt take a picture.

BUT Does any one know what that plug goes to>>?? or what assessories could be there that plugs into this plugged wire?

I mean,, its just laying there waiting to be plugged into something??

thanks alot for all your replies and comments..

jh

Edited by jimmbomb

• 1 month later...

I look at it this way. The max payload capacity is 1600#. Whether you put it in the back of the TC or put it on a trailer behind the TC, the engine and drivetrain still has to pull the same amount of weight.

thehitchstore.com has a complete package for the TC. Receiver, ball mount, ball and wiring kit. I'm getting mine in the next couple months.

I've ordered 2 sets of hitch packages from them for other vehicles in the past and they've always had great parts and service.

• 1 year later...

For now, I'm taking the opinion that the cargo space in the TC will meet most of my immediate needs.

I have a small enclosed cargo trailer (4-ft x 8-ft) presumed to weight ~800 lbs empty. I doubt that I've ever had more than 300-lbs of cargo in it. So I *think* the 1100-lbs is within the GVWR rating of the TC. For now I'm going to wait and see how often I come up short of needed space before I invest in the hitch receiver and wiring. A small 1 1/4" receiver is all I would ever need.

I wonder if the presence of a hitch receiver and wiring might cause Ford to disallow a warranty repair on the transmission.

• 6 months later...

My 2012 FTC can pull my 2007 FXSTC on a Kendon folding trailer. 1000 lbs total. Seems to have minimal tongue weight. Slow on hills, but feels safe and controlled. Gets the job done. I can live with that performance, considering the value of where this will take me and my bike. Live to Ride, Ride to Live.

post-4131-0-64117600-1397323987_thumb.jp

Stability wise it's perfect. I have towed well over 3000 lbs together with the stuff in the boot, sure, it struggles to hold speed as I have a 75 hp diesel but it retains a sense of control well. Most of the times the 10 ft trailer is loaded with 500 lbs plus minus printers and you couldn't tell it's there.

My 2012 FTC can pull my 2007 FXSTC on a Kendon folding trailer. 1000 lbs total. Seems to have minimal tongue weight. Slow on hills, but feels safe and controlled. Gets the job done. I can live with that performance, considering the value of where this will take me and my bike. Live to Ride, Ride to Live.

Stability wise it's perfect. I have towed well over 3000 lbs together with the stuff in the boot, sure, it struggles to hold speed as I have a 75 hp diesel but it retains a sense of control well. Most of the times the 10 ft trailer is loaded with 500 lbs plus minus printers and you couldn't tell it's there.

Thanks for the two replies above :)

• 4 months later...