Ford Transit Connect Forum

roof insulation

hkr701

Hi- Just a question about ceiling insulation. Does anyone know the thickness of foam insulation with foil paper aluminum backing that I can I install on top of the cargo area headliner without deforming the headliner on reinstalation. Also how should the insulation be installed. With the foil backing on the headliner or towards the van roof. Thanks

• 5 years later...

• 3 weeks later...

Is he asking about rigid foam with a fail backer? It's such an old post we'll probably never know, but I'd mount the foil against the roof and use spray on contact glue (applied to the roof and the foil, if you get it on the foam the solvents in the spray may eat the foam. Also you can usae a product called "reflectsit" (I think thats the name) it has foile on both sides with an interior that looks like bubble wrap, Again, applied with contact cement. The R factor isn't that high, but anything you use for inselation is better thatn the bare metal.

• 9 months later...

I think you mean reflectix (http://www.reflectixinc.com/). It reduces the reduces the rate of radiant heat transfer  I'm not sure what it does about sound proofing tho. I'm thinking maybe a sandwich of reflectix with acoustic foam panels in the middle but would the spray on adhesive hold it all together and on the ceilings and walls? IDK. I've been watching a lot of YT videos and I'm not sure I want to use wood paneling like many have. But I'm open to suggestions as we need to do something for the heat and sound. I didn't realize how noisy the cargo area would be.

I have used Alupanel backed with polyfiber stuffing to cover the two ugly solid rear panels in my van (another post) and provide some heat and sound insulation. I am considering using strips of 3 mm Gatorfoam (rigid sandwich panels with thin white or black wood faces and a cellular foam center) cut and applied in the roof recesses, and then additional strips added between, covering the convex sections. This would provide some sound and temperature insulation. The strips would snug between the arched frame and the roof where possible at the midsection. Some spots of adhesive would be used to adhere the rest of each strip. The challenge is what adhesive to use. The Gatorfoam is very lightweight, but every tar-based adhesive I have researched has the problem of giving way under heat, and the metal roof on these vans must get pretty hot in the summer.