Ford Transit Connect Forum

disappointed with estimated mpg for city driving

TransitTenore

• 4 months later...

On 2/18/2017 at 6:57 PM, HoagieTime said:

I have a 2016 wagon 2.5 lwb with 21k on it that i recently picked up lightly used. I've been getting about 16.5 city, and 17.1 mixed. I normally only haul my lunch to work but occasionally fold the seats down for tools and put lumber on the aluminum aero bar roof rack for short trips. I noticed the disappointing mpg so I've been driving in a way to maximize my fuel economy, easy on the gas and brake pedals. I still have time on the factory warranty so I'd like to bring it to a dealership to have them looking into the cause, though I'd like to have some clues as to why such low mpg first. Tire pressure is as mfg spec, and I don't let it idol or warm it up. The longest its running while stopped is on long stop lights. Driving in normal drive mode not sport, and set for anticipation mode. No codes are showing up, says systems are normal. I also weigh 150lbs so you can rule out excessive human cargo.

I have a brand new leftover 16 2.5 lwb with 2200 miles, so not broken in.  I weight 230lbs and I've averaged 25.5-26.75mpg on each tank of reg octane fuel, mostly city.    The computer reads about 1 to 1.5mpg high. 

Edited by MLB

Gotta ask, are your mpg numbers from the trip computer or have you figured them out yourself? Also, when I got my new 2017 XLT LWB after trading in a 2014 XLT SWB, I was confused by the added features to the LED display. Ford added a couple extras including a trip 1 time, trip distance, average trip mpg, average trip speed ( that was the one that got me!). These are separate from the overall operating time, average mpg, current mpg, and speed. Previously the only trip info was trip A and trip B distance. My point, hope you are reading the correct display ;)

Just reset the trip odometer and use the calculater on your phone to divide the miles driven by the amount of gas pumped.

The computer estimates high of course.

I can't imagine how you'd have to drive (floor it off every stop?) to only get 12 or 13mph out of this vehicle.