Ford Transit Connect Forum

disappointed with estimated mpg for city driving

TransitTenore

Just started driving my new ford transit connect about three weeks ago. I received it from the dealer with about 210 miles on it and drove it till until it was almost empty. once I filled it up it's second time I was hoping to get the 20 or so miles per gallon it had listed for city driving. It has about 200 lbs of parts and tools in it and after 2 weeks of all city driving with the air conditioner on low it had averaged 12 to 13 miles per gallon. The transit was driven with the o/d off most of the time and the tach rarely reached 2500 rpm. Should the vehicle not have been babied so much and been driven a little more aggressively in order to keep the torque curve and engine rpm up? the reason why I chose this vehicle was because I thought it would be a major improvement over my 2001 ford E250 straight six in terms of fuel cost. although I am getting nearly twice the miles per gallon that I had gotten with the E250 12 to 13 is no where near the estimated figure given by the car maker. any thoughts would be appreciated. Will keep my hopes up and will try different driving techniques in the interim. Other than that I think the car is built solid offers a commanding view of the road and is great at squeezing itself into narrow passages. any chance that ford might come out with a diesel version.

Edited by TransitTenore

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TURN THE O/D OFF, LEAVE IT ON AND LET THE TRANS DO ITS JOB. IT WILL DOWNSHIF IF IT NEEDS TO. I CARRY A LOT MORE WEIGHT AND THE LEAST MPG I'VE GOTTEN IS 22. ON THE HIGHWAY I STILL GET CLOSE TO 25 WITH THE AC ON AND MORE WITH THE AC OFF(AND WINDOWS CLOSED). I HAVE 12000 MILES ON MINE AND AM VERY PLEASED.

WOODY

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TURN THE O/D OFF, LEAVE IT ON AND LET THE TRANS DO ITS JOB. IT WILL DOWNSHIF IF IT NEEDS TO. I CARRY A LOT MORE WEIGHT AND THE LEAST MPG I'VE GOTTEN IS 22. ON THE HIGHWAY I STILL GET CLOSE TO 25 WITH THE AC ON AND MORE WITH THE AC OFF(AND WINDOWS CLOSED). I HAVE 12000 MILES ON MINE AND AM VERY PLEASED.

WOODY

Thanks for the input. I am certain that once I can get the vehicle past the stop and go 0 to 30 mph New York City service call routine scenario the mileage will increase dramatically, I just would have liked to seen something a little better for total all out city driving.

WOODY

I agree with Woody. I've had mine since February, and always have a couple of hundred pounds of stuff, and often 800+ pounds of guys in it. No need to turn off the OD. I log every drop of gas and service the thing gets, and I'm now getting consistent 25-26 mpg in mixed rural/urban driving, with little or no highway. Lowest I ever got was 20-21 in the first 1,000 miles.

BTW, it seems to smooth out a little around 5,000, and a little more around 10K. Possibly programmed in break-in behavior, almost like the torque kicks in at lower RPM once it's broke in. Got 12,000+ now, all in lower Michigan, with one big trip to St. Louis last week in 100+ degree heat. Got 25+ on the trip doing 70+ with the AC on full blast. The only time I hit the OD is to annoy the jerk tailgating me...

Jeff

Mine gets no less than 21 regardless of where i drive it. I run it about maxed out weight wise once a week on a 500+ mile trip, like today. Only ran half the trip interstate today and got 25 on the return tank full. usually it's 23 or there abouts.

I agree with Woody. I've had mine since February, and always have a couple of hundred pounds of stuff, and often 800+ pounds of guys in it. No need to turn off the OD. I log every drop of gas and service the thing gets, and I'm now getting consistent 25-26 mpg in mixed rural/urban driving, with little or no highway. Lowest I ever got was 20-21 in the first 1,000 miles.

BTW, it seems to smooth out a little around 5,000, and a little more around 10K. Possibly programmed in break-in behavior, almost like the torque kicks in at lower RPM once it's broke in. Got 12,000+ now, all in lower Michigan, with one big trip to St. Louis last week in 100+ degree heat. Got 25+ on the trip doing 70+ with the AC on full blast. The only time I hit the OD is to annoy the jerk tailgating me...

Jeff

Thank you for responding Jeff, seems like that four cylinder needs to loosen itself up a little before feeling comfortable enough to handle any challenge you give it. Stay safe.

Mine gets no less than 21 regardless of where i drive it. I run it about maxed out weight wise once a week on a 500+ mile trip, like today. Only ran half the trip interstate today and got 25 on the return tank full. usually it's 23 or there abouts.

Thanks ncranchero, you seem to have put quite a few miles on that Transit. How is holding up suspension wise.

Yes, definitely leave the OD on. Also use the cruise control (if you have it) as much as possible. Haven't had the TC long enough to determine but with my Focus using cruise control on the highway will get me an extra 5mpg over my lead foot.

Based on my experience with a Focus it takes 5 to 8k miles for the engine to get settled in and give the best mileage.

Only had it 2 1/2 weeks, have 2600 miles on it. Hope it lasts!

Be consistent with your fluid changes , stay on top of that suspension and air pressure and I am certain it will. I have been driving econolines the last 32 years and they never let me down. Of course I am hoping that this little guy follows in big brothers footsteps.

Yes, definitely leave the OD on. Also use the cruise control (if you have it) as much as possible. Haven't had the TC long enough to determine but with my Focus using cruise control on the highway will get me an extra 5mpg over my lead foot.

Based on my experience with a Focus it takes 5 to 8k miles for the engine to get settled in and give the best mileage.

Thanks Hal. Will give it some time to break in, probably switch over to castrol synthetic at the 3k to 4k interval, and try to stay within the 10mph over the speed limit barrier.

I think this will be less forgiving than the E250 but I hope I'm wrong. I only use it 3 days a week, will have 3000 on it tomorrow afternoon. :yahoo:

Keep your loads distributed equally and drive over most of the pot holes and not through them. I am pretty impressed so far with the way the truck handles itself driving over some pretty bad roads. might need things like brakes more often but it should hold up fine. Keeping my fingers crossed

I was told specifically by the dealer, that the fuel efficiency will be below the ratings during the break-in period. So I was not disappointed to get 19.75mpg for mixed city/highway driving, during the first tankful.

I'm at about 600 miles on the odometer right now.

Question is, how soon before I can start using cruise control? (I was also told to not use it right away, but instead vary my driving speeds often, during break-in.)

I'm going to install a ScanGauge, which is typically good for a 20% improvement in efficiency due to driver feedback and changed driving habits.

My previous minivan was rated 19/22, but I managed 39.5 on the freeway at 50 mph. I expect to get similar or better with the TC once it's through the break-in period.

• 2 months later...

I just returned from a 5500 mile vacation in the western U.S. I averaged 26.25 mpg with 24.0 being the lowest i got to 29.5 being the highest i got. The driving ranged from long flat streches to very mountianous terrain. I use fully synthetic oil. I also run the 87 octane fuel recommended.

• 1 year later...

Hey that's still better than that your Mitchell does on its best day!

Seriously though, you should be doing better than that. I often get 30 mpg at the speed limit. The TransConn does seem to be sensitive to speed but even so, it should never be below 25! Is it absolutely necessary for you to drive so fast? Because it is costing you to do so. Why not just try a tank full at legal speeds a see what happens?

• 1 year later...

That is about where most vehicles start getting the best gas mileage. On a related note anytime you disconnect the battery the engine needs to relearn a few things and it might take a couple tanks to bring the gas mileage back up.

I see several problems.

1. You are NOT expecting top mileage on a new vehicle during the first few hundred miles are you? Let it break in first.

2. If the van wants to use OD, let it.

3. Comparing mileage depends on the driving habits more than most people understand.

I will turn the O/D off if I'm driving up a long grade. Sometimes the tranny wants to shift back and forth plus if you keep it off in hot weather it will keep the RPM's up and run cooler. Also going down a steep grade I'll do the same thing but more to save the brakes. But these are more rare occasions and normal everyday driving I leave it on.

IMG_0072_zpsfe5e1204.jpg

• 2 years later...

My Transit Connect sees service in The City.  Once it's on, it stays on, all day.  All stop and go driving in downtown traffic.  The engine is left on to idle so that the air conditioning stays on.  

I'm getting + or - 15 MPG.  

Mileage will be terrible for me.  Period.  I have toyed with the idea of taking a nice highway cruise for a few hundred miles just to see what the mileage would be.  But then again, I have too many things to do, and not enough time for such a field trip.  

• 4 months later...

I have a 2016 wagon 2.5 lwb with 21k on it that i recently picked up lightly used. I've been getting about 16.5 city, and 17.1 mixed. I normally only haul my lunch to work but occasionally fold the seats down for tools and put lumber on the aluminum aero bar roof rack for short trips. I noticed the disappointing mpg so I've been driving in a way to maximize my fuel economy, easy on the gas and brake pedals. I still have time on the factory warranty so I'd like to bring it to a dealership to have them looking into the cause, though I'd like to have some clues as to why such low mpg first. Tire pressure is as mfg spec, and I don't let it idol or warm it up. The longest its running while stopped is on long stop lights. Driving in normal drive mode not sport, and set for anticipation mode. No codes are showing up, says systems are normal. I also weigh 150lbs so you can rule out excessive human cargo.