Ford Transit Connect Forum

2015 TC Longevity

MikeW

16 hours ago, Osco said:

115,000, first transmission flush, old fluid came out looking just like the new fluid.. Shifted exactly the same after.

Flushed the cooling system,

Still running original factory brake pads front and rear... Yep you read that right.

15 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Interesting.  Everyone else has black fluid coming out.  Your fluid stayed bright red. 

I think there's a big diff in tranny wear between town-driven and highway-driven TCs.   Aside from the clutch wear of going through the gears, 6F35s trannys do some monkey business with the torque converter clutch, allowing continuous slip in 4th-5th-6th below 50 mph (pretty much anytime below 1500 rpm) and also allowing slip on every on/off throttle transition, apparently for driveability reasons.   Driving around with ForScan set up to monitor torque converter slip will show this stuff happening.  The black fluid that results is from the carbon converter clutch, and then causes valve bore wear and further issues.  The vans that are racking up 60k+ per year on the other hand are spending most of their miles at highway speed with the torque converter clutch solidly locked and the trans fluid staying clean (and any ferrous gear wear particles grabbed by the magnet inside the trans).

5 hours ago, Eddy Kilowatt said:

The vans that are racking up 60k+ per year on the other hand are spending most of their miles at highway speed with the torque converter clutch solidly locked and the trans fluid staying clean (and any ferrous gear wear particles grabbed by the magnet inside the trans).

Indeed! Quite insightful.

Changed my plugs yesterday @115K Replaced with stock Iridiums (MotorCraft SP-530)

The old plugs showed some heat scaring on the Insulators, The two outside plugs were twice as bad as the two Inside, prolly runs a degree or two cooler out there..

I should have took a picture but they were pretty typical looking.

I think I could feel a bit more power, but doubt that,, Its one of those things we want to feel.....

It did start noticeably faster, but was IMHO plenty fast starting with the old plugs, I take that as a win.

There was a noticeable gain In engine smoothness at idle, not that It was very rough before, just smoother now, another win.

I still believe My K&N air filter was an Improvement over a new clean paper filter, It seemed to add a tiny bit of snap to response on take off's and Idled

with greater predictability, settled down much quicker..

Warning ! If you get one and clean it Incorrectly or over Oil it you will need a throttle body cleaning or two, read and RE-read the cleaning kit Instructions.

Over cleaning will destroy the filter,  I put mine it at 25,000 miles and just cleaned it for the second time.

Edited by Osco
Bad speeling :P

Hit by Lightening while doing 70mph at about 75,000 miles, blew up everything, road hazard covered the $6500 repair.

Now at 115,000

One repair was a A/C temp sensor, repaired by Ford, couple hundred bucks, I forget exactly.

Second was a door sensor last spring, this one was surely a slow to fail part from the lightening strike

Nothing else.

And the best part, It's paid for ?

On 10/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, Fifty150 said:

Interesting.  Everyone else has black fluid coming out.  Your fluid stayed bright red.  

I;d not call It bright but it was red and clean,, Only reason I can think of was the fact that this van lived on the Interstate.

Say 80% super slab, 10% rural back roads and 10% city..

Did those of you who got black , burnt brown fluid out get a better shifting van after the flush ?

As I said mine shifted the same ...

Edited by Osco