Ford Transit Connect Forum

Yet another "will plywood fit" thread....

I have read a ton of different threads on various forums about getting 4x8 sheets of plywood in the TC, but from what I can tell every one of them was with the intent of closing the rear doors. Will 4x8 plywood lay flat on the floor if I let it hang out 2'? If so, I am just planning on getting a hitch mounted cargo extender typically used for pickup trucks. I only need to haul plywood once a month or so, and I am tired of getting 11-12 mpg in a truck just for that 1 trip a month.

As far as I can tell, the specs list the width between the wheelwells as 48.1". That is cutting it awfully close, so I was hoping someone has had experience with this.

Thanks for any input, and sorry about yet another "will plywood fit thread"!

The work van is 48.1 and the Passenger version is 47.3 so it will be close in the work van and in at an angle with the passenger van.

Its a little Van not a big van.

But you can bet they tried a sheet of Plywood in the work van

I have a Gen 2 TC and bought a few sheets of plywood recently. Since I didn't need the full 8ft length, I had it trimmed to 7ft so I could close the doors.

one sheet was used as an overlay on the existing cargo mat to provide a better surface.

the spacing between the wheel wells maybe over 48" but I found they had a weld right about mid point that reduced that width to <48" :(

if you go a little higher up or angle slightly, you're fine. so if you put two pieces of 2x4 on each side and slid the sheets in you're good to go, which is probably an easier way to load them anyway. I think Ford should have left a tad more space there than shaving it that close but perhaps they didn't want to have sheets sliding around. hard to say what's in their minds ;)

I've hauled 4x8 sheets of plywood in my '10 passenger TC with the 2/3 of the rear seats removed (and the other 1/3 seat folded forward if needed). I've had success standing the sheets on end and depending on how many I have - I either close one rear door and angle the sheets so they only come out the open half of the back or leave both rear doors open (if I'm hauling more than can fit through 1/2 of the rear opening).

Then I close the open door(s) as much as possible and bungee them shut.

Have never tried loading them flat on the floor because most of the time I'm hauling so few that I can close one of the rear doors and get the other one closed pretty far before I bungee it.